clevo M570RU-U 17" laptop barebones from OCZ on eBay $383 shipped - 10% bing cashback

stainremover

2[H]4U
no idea why ocz is hawking barebone laptops, but the laptop is available w/ buy it now for $369.99 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M570RU-U-NB8E-S...iewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item3354378849

shipping is $12.89, so total should be $383. currently bing cashback is 10% for ebay, so that should take $36 off bringing the total to $347. pretty sweet deal if you look at the specs:

17" WUXGA Full HD Display w/ Glossy Finish (1920x1200)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8700M GT with 512MB GDDR3 Video Memory
8X DVD±R/RW + 4x Dual Layer Combo drive (this is included, see update at bottom)

update also claims it will come with bluetooth. i believe this model has 2 hard drive bays, so you can do ssd for os + hdd for storage. or you can raid0 a pair of ssds for epic performance.

it's also nice that you can make the laptop as fast or as slow as you want it. you can spend $100 for a 2.2ghz t7500 or roughly $250 for a 2.6ghz t9500.

great buy, imo and you won't be beating this price for a while. some guy in the fs/ft forums was trying to hawk his dell xps 1710 (with far older / slower parts) for $1000.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
very nice deal. i find it very odd that it can only accept up to a 250gb hard drive and only 4gb ram max.

i bet the laptop can support up to 8gb ram, and I bet that it can take the newest laptop hard drive out there. 750gb.

very nice deal. i find it very odd that it can only accept up to a 250gb hard drive and only 4gb ram max.

i bet the laptop can support up to 8gb ram, and I bet that it can take the newest laptop hard drive out there. 750gb.

the drive limitation of 250gb is probably cause that was the largest laptop drive available when it was made. it more than likely supports 750gb of space.

the 4gb cap on the ram is true, unfortunately. the chip has a pm965 chipset

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Mobile_Chipsets

but seriously, who has 4gb so-dimms?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

a pair of them is almost the cost of the laptop!

With the 8700m which is a faster than a 8600gt desktop card but slower than the 8600 gts don't expect much of this from a gaming perspective. Only value games and games from 2005 or older. Especially with the native screen res of 1920x1200

With the 8700m which is a faster than a 8600gt desktop card but slower than the 8600 gts don't expect much of this from a gaming perspective. Only value games and games from 2005 or older. Especially with the native screen res of 1920x1200

i don't think anyone is expecting this laptop to play games at 1920x1200 with all the settings cranked. after all, the desktop cards that can do that run close to $200.

Looks like a 2Ghz C2D, 250Gb 7200RPM, 4Gb DDR2, wireless N, Vista setup could be done for less than $700. Very tempting with the 1920x1200 LCD...

I'm tempted but can't do it right now. Too bad I can't pop my Q9100 processor in there because I would have everything this thing needs. If only I could find my T7300.

From the auction:
Most commonly used CPU’s: Intel T7500, T7700, T8100, T8300, T9300, T9500, X9000 (800fsb maximum)

Does anyone know how hot of a deal this is? Or what it might normally cost... I dont know much about laptop chassies....

And on another note ; ) Besides a CPU, ram, and HDD, is there anything else this laptop would need???

Anyone know good deals on the aformentioned ; )

Does anyone know how hot of a deal this is? Or what it might normally cost... I dont know much about laptop chassies....

And on another note ; ) Besides a CPU, ram, and HDD, is there anything else this laptop would need???

Anyone know good deals on the aformentioned ; )

Don't forget you'll also need a wifi card (eBay has intel 5300's under $15) and an OS. The cheapest way to fill this is to buy a laptop on ebay with a smashed LCD. You're taking a risk on the other parts being potentially damaged because they're sold as is but you can get a 2GHz C2D laptop with 2Gb DDR2, 250Gb HDD, Vista license, and a spare DVD-RW for around $200 shipped. If all goes well you'll have a heck of a laptop for $600...

this is very tempting. you can get a t5200 for 20 bucks on ebay, buy a 2gb stick of ram for 35. and throw in a spare 2.5in 60gb hd i have laying around. Then when i have a few extra bucks i could upgrade the cpu/hd and add another stick of ram.

So to get this thing running the cheapest possible way.
Barbone: $347 shipped
CPU: $25 shipped (there was a buy it now free shipping t5250 for this)
Ram: $43 shipped (1 2gb stick so that you can upgrade to 4gb later)
HD : $45 shipped (80gb brand new from the egg, im sure you could find a used one cheaper)
WiFi: $10 shipped (not sure about an internal, but i just bought a external for 10 shipped 2 weeks ago)
OS: If you have an old one laying around like me you can probably get win7 cheap somewhere. I havnt used my 29.99 student version, id probably snag that.

Total: $475 for a pretty decent laptop. Of course you can make it better for slightly more money. Being that i dont need the WiFi, HD and i can get the OS for 30 bucks, id be able to get this running for $420 bucks.

Would be nice to actually have a laptop that can play a game or 2.

Last edited:
At first, this looked good. Thinking about the hassle, and no warranty for a DIY laptop, sort of scares me. Only real strongsuit on this laptop is the screen & GPU. To add parts to make it comparable to $600 laptops currently available (albiet shitty screen) will definitely up the bill. Might save just a little bit, or spend the same amount with added hassle in the end.

No warranty is a killer... if something as small as the screen goes bad you're looking at at least $70-100 replacement cost.

For $549.99, they come with a 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3. Also see this.

How much better is the 8800m GTX..... going to be a big difference? Really thinking about pulling the trigger... Xmas gift to myself, but I'm on the ropes if the $549.99 flavor is really going to be that much better than the $369.99 version.

Are we talking 20 FPS difference here? or are we talking like 5 or 6?

At first, this looked good. Thinking about the hassle, and no warranty for a DIY laptop, sort of scares me. Only real strongsuit on this laptop is the screen & GPU. To add parts to make it comparable to $600 laptops currently available (albiet shitty screen) will definitely up the bill. Might save just a little bit, or spend the same amount with added hassle in the end.

No warranty is a killer... if something as small as the screen goes bad you're looking at at least $70-100 replacement cost.

$600 for a 17" laptop with a discrete gpu would be a major sale price (black friday, day after xmas, etc.).

a major sale price (black friday, day after xmas, etc.) on a 17" laptop with a discrete gpu and wuxga screen would be closer to $900-1000.

so $600 is quite a steal (i think i priced mine out closer to $500, and that's with tax on the barebones). you could break a screen (at $200, it's wuxga after all) and you'd still have saved $100 (from the $900 price).

How much better is the 8800m GTX..... going to be a big difference? Really thinking about pulling the trigger... Xmas gift to myself, but I'm on the ropes if the $549.99 flavor is really going to be that much better than the $369.99 version.

Are we talking 20 FPS difference here? or are we talking like 5 or 6?

According to this site the 3DMark06 scores are 8700M GT 4833 8800M GTX 9183. Crysis scores are listed too. The M570RU-U 8800 seems to be a better buy if you want to game.

According to this site the 3DMark06 scores are 8700M GT 4833 8800M GTX 9183. Crysis scores are listed too. The M570RU-U 8800 seems to be a better buy if you want to game.

Oh man you beat me to it... I was about to post this link. Yeah the 8800 can play games better, but I like the $349.99 price better. On the site you can click on the individual cards to see break downs, I think there is even a review of a Clevo notebook with the GTX in it.

Thanks that was exactly the info I was looking for :) Seems like a pretty significant difference.

well if you were going to upgrade, the 8800m gtx would be the chip to get. it's ranked 23 on that list. of the 22 above it, about half of them are dual gpu cards, about five of them are not significant improvements over it, and another five don't even have scores.

so the extra $200 gives the laptop one of the best mobile gpus out there. can't argue with that value.

Back