clicking noise out of PSU ???

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
i got some clicking noise coming out of my PSU and no its not the fan. I disconnected the fan and that clicking noise continues. PSU is a Corsair HX620. I used it lightly for the rig in my sig over 4 years ago for not more than installing OS and a couple of games. Since then its been sitting in the box without any use at all till i recently decided to rebuild that rig. Worked for kinda 2 days for some updates and now i got that clicking noise and other than fans nothing is running. Not even booting to bios.
Anybody know a simple fix for that or is that PSU definitly brick. :(

sorry cant do no recording, got no mic.
It sounds similar to the clicking of a relay. But since i havent found any inside of the psu...
Its not really a loud clicking, you have to get really close to hear it.
I already disconnected the fan to rule that out.

In my 20+ years of messing with power supplies, I've only ever come across one that actually had a relay for something in it.

If the unit isn't powering on, the clicking you're hearing is probably one of the switching transformers or inductors vibrating. There's most likely a failed component preventing normal operation, which is usually bad capacitors, but can sometimes be other things like bad resistors, diodes or optocouplers.

Can you tell me the name on some of the capacitors? The manufacturer name is usually written on the side, along with the farad rating and volt rating.

Back