Cliffy Bitchcowski says MGS4 is passive - continues to chainsaw your face!

I'm sorry but Cliffy is a little stupid and I know he's just trying to stur the pot so more people will look in his direction, and gears 2, but when he's more or less creating a expasion pack for gears 1 with grears 2, and I probably wouldn't use MGS4 in the same paragraph if I was him.

I liked gears but it's not even close to the level that MGS4 is.

i have to agree and disagree with him... the latter half of MGS4 was totally comprised of cutscenes... but i cant exactly say that it's passive, i mean, hittin L1 for a sneak peak up a skirt... or down a shirt... that's enough interaction for me to make the whole cutscene worth it :D

I really don't see this comment as all that bad. He seems to be saying that he doesnt want to make a game with any cut scenes. If that is what he wants so be it. I think he may be wrong when he says this type of game is on its way out, but as has been stated most if not all the cut scenes in MGS4 are slightly interactive. He may have a point that people want to actually play games instead of just watching them but I think there is a balance that will always hold true to any game that wants to have a deep storyline

fuck him, seriously...

i think he is unable to make anything like MGS4, so he bashes it...

fuck him, seriously...

I think hes referring to how its more like an interactive movie than pure action, not saying its a bad game. You gotta admit.. the game has a lot of cut scenes :p

God I hate this tabloid style web news. Here's the full comment:

What lessons did you learn from the first game? "We wanted a blockbuster pace, and in doing so, we lost the story a bit. So that's one of the lessons we learned. This time round there's more repetition. Games aren't movies and aren't consumed in a single sitting. So secondary characters will remind you about stuff, which is re-established in plot cues. Metal Gear Solid is our example of the game we're not doing. Passive entertainment is on its way out – you need to hook up with this web 2.0 stuff."

Meh, didn't seem to be bashing it all that bad...

Solid Snake pwns Fenix though!

But you can skip them.

Im in the fourth act of the game and skipping them would totally ruin the story. The cutscenes are a majority of the story. You play the game to earn those cut scenes and story plot lol. Im not bashing the game in any means, its a very good game, im just saying, the cutscenes basically is the story of the game.

I don't believe in pure gameplay anymore after playing mgs4. I like video games and I like watching movies. so having both things I like in a game just makes the experience great for me I realized. I don't play video games for the gameplay, I play for the overall entertainment and immersion value in the game, and I got that from mgs4. It just worked for me.

I don't know if any of you have read this yet:
I just found out that you can drive the MK2 around during the mission briefing. There are some stuff can be found on the plane like a battery and a camera. I haven't tried it yet but maybe you can look at Naomi's hot body from different angles and perhaps upskirt :p

make sure to give naomi, sunny, campbell a zap with the mk2... unlocks their face camos...

if u get the camera in act 4 mission briefing, u can unlock additional pictures

newho, i do admit that the game portion of MGS4 was a bit on the short side... the cutscenes were fantastic, but the mission portions could definitely have been extended

I like the cutscenes in some games, i wish there were more in gears 1 especially the helicopter crashing etc cutscene, i dont see anything wrong with say 5 min cutscenes in games like gears, mgs4 needed the huge cutscenes, i dont think there are many games that coulld pull that kind of cutscene bonanza off like mgs4. MGS4 was perfectly balanced imo. GOW didnt have enough to tell the story, in gow im not sure i liked the walking slowly whilst communicating/talking to team mates in the single player game yet i didnt mind the stopping and communicating in mgs4, strange innit!!? More short cutscenes in GOW2 Please!!

"you need to hook up with this web 2.0 stuff."

Oh, sweet Jesus. CliffyB just lost all credibility with me.

fuck him, seriously...

how can you say fuck him, when you dont even understand what hes saying?

mgs and gow are COMPLETELY different. both are 3rd person but thats where the similarities end.

and if anybody thinks hes bashing MGS4, all of you fan boys can go fuck yourselves because, again, you have no idea wtf hes talking about.

and if cliffy b wanted to make an mgs style game he could. i thnk any dev could. its only mgs style that makes it unique.

he was just saying MGS is a type of game theyre not making you moron

Though I'm not one for creating threads that will more than likely be nothing but back and forth bickering, I figured that this thread was interesting enough.

You seem to have no problems doing so, even putting his last name as "Bitchcowski." :rolleyes:

As far as the topic is concerned, if he wants to state his opinion on games that end up being more of an "interactive movie," then a game, that's fine. It's no secret the cutscenes (amount and length), have caused debate with the new MGS games. However, he didn't really do that, by saying "passive entertainment is on its way out." Maybe it is... I don't know... I don't look at the sales numbers for such things. He needs to back that up with some fact. Same goes for the people ripping on him that he's wrong.

I'm curious how web 2.0 applies to this. So is the scripting engine run on javascript calls to a remote server??

but i cant exactly say that it's passive, i mean, hittin L1 for a sneak peak up a skirt... or down a shirt... that's enough interaction for me to make the whole cutscene worth it :D

OMG buying a PS3 now. :D

If anyone can dispute that MGS has large amounts of passivity, please come forth and say he's wrong. The question is whether you LIKE that aspect of MGS4. Some people do, some people don't. Kojima could say "we didn't make an in your face gorefest with an afterthought story", and he'd be right too. The games are what they are, stop fucking crying that another developer contrasted two different game types you fucking pansies.

If anyone can dispute that MGS has large amounts of passivity, please come forth and say he's wrong. The question is whether you LIKE that aspect of MGS4. Some people do, some people don't. Kojima could say "we didn't make an in your face gorefest with an afterthought story", and he'd be right too. The games are what they are, stop fucking crying that another developer contrasted two different game types you fucking pansies.
+1
I really don't understand why people are getting their panties in a twist over this. I'm not really into the MGS hype, though-- I'll take the anti-passivity with GOW2!

The best part is how someone that released the steaming pile of shit known as UT3 on the PC could declare anything "on its way out".

how can you say fuck him, when you dont even understand what hes saying?

mgs and gow are COMPLETELY different. both are 3rd person but thats where the similarities end.

and if anybody thinks hes bashing MGS4, all of you fan boys can go fuck yourselves because, again, you have no idea wtf hes talking about.

and if cliffy b wanted to make an mgs style game he could. i thnk any dev could. its only mgs style that makes it unique.

he was just saying MGS is a type of game theyre not making you moron

:rolleyes: lol just because you dont agree with me you tell us "fanboys" to go fuck ourselves, and call me a moron. Thats just my opinion, and YOU sound like an actual fanboy.

fyi i game on pc, ps3 AND x360.

despite the cutscene heavy nature of MGS4, i thought the gameplay was much better than that of GoW (played on x360 and pc). Hopefully GoW2 will be much better, but im sure the GoW dev team could not best the MGS4 dev team even if they tried.

again, thats my opinion

Maybe someone should told him people actualy like games with plot and not just chain sawing people on multi on FPS number 3587 for next gen-console :D

The best part is how someone that released the steaming pile of shit known as UT3 on the PC could declare anything "on its way out".
Lol! Its even a steaming pile of shit on PS3 as no one plays it online anymore. Id be more worried about what Insomniac are gonna release rather than doing interviews/making statements about a type of game thats on its way out thats just sold/selling millions of copies, a game thats just probably saved the PS3 and most probably outsold UT3 sales to date on day one!

Im just having a luagh, im sure he didnt mean his statement to be taken in the wrong way!:D

I loved GOW it raised the bar graphics wise for FPS games, GOW from what ive seen of screenshots it probably wont raise the graphics bar again but im dam intrigued on how the Story line turns out! I just hope its not another halo 2!

Thank God that Hideo Kojima didn't spend his precious time commenting on other games from other people. Instead he used his time to polish his game with tons of details.

The reason why that guy downplayed MGS4 is he feels that MGS4 is the biggest threat against his game, he could downplay GTA 4 but he chooses MGS4.

I want to play the entire story ... not watch it. Skipping the cutscenes in MGS4 would pretty much negate the entire concept of having a story.

Some people like that, though. More power to them. Play MGS4 and love it. Other people saying "we don't like that, we prefer to do things another way" is not ruining your enjoyment of MGS4. If it is ... well ... you need a better hobby.

I think the point of contention should be his comment that is on it's way out not that he doesn't like it. I know there are lots of people who don't really like all the cut scenes in MGS4 but like the way the game plays. The story makes this game though. If Cliffy B wants to make a game that is more action based that is fine as well. I just think he has underestimated the draw a great story can add to the game. It is much more difficult to have a deep story and no cut scenes. I for one like it that every game maker has his or her own Idea on how to make a great game. Otherwise how bad would gaming suck if everyone worked from the same blueprint. there would be Zero diversity in the gaming industry and I would be very bored very quickly.

God forbid the guy has an opinion on what he likes and what he feels is the direction the industry is taking. It's not like he's had a ton of successful games under his belt or anything. He's not even really being insulting like some of the stuff Itagaki used to say about Tekken.

Back