Clone an OS parition without erasing new drive?

sluzbenik

Limp Gawd
I got a nice big WD640AAKS and since it seems to be much faster than my Seagate, I wanted to copy the OS over and try to boot off it. The problem is I moved a lot of files from my other hard drives to this one already.

I tried using Acronis Disc Director to copy the entire thing over and make a bootable parition, but I get no joy when I try to boot off the new drive now. It doesn't even give me an NTLDR missing message, just sits there with the cursor blinking.

Is there an easy way to copy the boot sector over from my original disc to the new one, that would probably fix the problem...I don't think Acronis wrote it. But I don't really have a clue what the problem is...

Now I know I could use a cloning program, but they all require an empty disk. I don't want to move all my crap back, lol...

Yeah, of course.

Tried using recovery console on the drive, but it claims I have an administrator password and I don't, so...I think I'm screwed.

Did you check to make sure your bios has that drive available for booting? I know on one of my motherboards there was a list on one of the bios options that let you pick which HD to be boot drive.

If you have XP, boot to the recovery console from the cd. Run fixboot & fixmbr from the command line. This may fix the boot problem.

Back