Cloning hardrive software

jhego

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, i'm not sure whether to post on the software thread but i didn't see any so i'll just post here. I need advice on what software to use to clone my main HD. I would hate to reinstall the OS and all the application on the new HD. I have a 160gb primary drive and would like to clone it to another HD with a bigger capacity. First off, is it possible to do it? If so, what is the easiest, reliable software to do it. So from what i know, all i have to do is insert the new HD to another SATA and just run the software right?

1) Yes it is possible
2) Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, Drive Image XML are some of the more reliable software to do it.

However, assuming that you're talking about that Seagate 160GB drive listed in your sig, just use the Seagate Discwizard software. It's pretty much a stripped down version of the $50 Acronis True Image but for free for Seagate and Maxtor drives. It's all that you need to clone your 160GB drive onto the the bigger drive.

And yes, all you have to do is insert the new drive, format it and then do the cloning.

wow thanks, that's really helpful. Yes it is the 160gb. So all i have to do is dl it from the Seagate site? Cool deal. Thanks again.

I use Acronis all the time and it's a lifesaver!!

Cloning 250GB Laptop drives is a PITA though. Takes 3 hours or so.

1) And yes, all you have to do is insert the new drive, format it and then do the cloning.

If you're using the Seagate or Maxtor tools with True Image built-in, a drive copy/cloning operation doesn't require the formatting, it's an unnecessary step. Just wanted to point that out, but... aside from that all the information given is basically what I would have answered myself. ;)

Back