cloning?

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
i have a hitachi 320gb currently and i have a wd caviar black 640gb on the way. what i want to do is put the hitachi drive into a new comp i have on the way that i'm going to use for school to run xp and ubuntu and use the wd in my main rig. what i've found so far is norton ghost and clonezilla. any other recommendations or tips for cloning the hitachi to the wd?

I'm a big fan of clonezilla. It's free which is why I chose it in the first place.

Really though, any of the name brand (norton, arcronis, clonezilla) clone suites will work for you just fine.

I like Ghost (the old dos version). I have used Clonezilla as well, without problems. It just has a few more steps than Ghost for the same result.

I like Acronis as well, but I'm old school and not a big fan of 'hot imaging' within windows. For that reason, I use Ghost as my primary imaging solution.

I like Ghost (the old dos version). I have used Clonezilla as well, without problems. It just has a few more steps than Ghost for the same result.

I like Acronis as well, but I'm old school and not a big fan of 'hot imaging' within windows. For that reason, I use Ghost as my primary imaging solution.

You don't have to be in Windows to use Acronis. I've always booted from the Acronis CD and done my imaging that way.

should i expect any hiccups with this? i've never had to do this before so i'm a little nervous...should i format the new drive first using a linux live cd or something?

Most of the afore mentioned will format and prepare the drive for you. However, you should still read the manual before doing anything with the drives no matter which software you pick.

Most of the afore mentioned will format and prepare the drive for you. However, you should still read the manual before doing anything with the drives no matter which software you pick.

What the Hell is a manual? :D

I've used acronis many times, and liked it. Doesn't WD offer a free utility for this???

Back