CM 690 Advanced II

Hey Steve, This case interest me, but I'm not like the lacking of 2 120mm fans in the front. Can you verify that the opening is just for one fan?

Can you completely removed the HD bays on the bottom? Or you have to leave the 2 top ones in?

It will only fit one 120 or one 140mm fan in front. You have the choice of mounting positions but the two mounting positions overlap. My plans are to mount a 120 or 140mm fan in the unused three 5.25" drive bays.

It's easy to remove the lower cage by removing a few scews. You can remove the upper 2 drive cage but you would have to drill out rivets to do it.

Steve

so is the top E-sata dock like a regular e-sata dock, i mean can you eject the drive from windows ?

and then replace it with another drive ?

It will only fit one 120 or one 140mm fan in front. You have the choice of mounting positions but the two mounting positions overlap. My plans are to mount a 120 or 140mm fan in the unused three 5.25" drive bays.

It's easy to remove the lower cage by removing a few scews. You can remove the upper 2 drive cage but you would have to drill out rivets to do it.

Steve

One last thing I noticed on my CM 690 II is that if you do remove the top 2 3.5" bays, you will never be able to use the bottom 4 3.5" HDD bays. The bottom 4 bays have attachment points directly to the side supports of the top 2 bays. They interlock tightly.

so is the top E-sata dock like a regular e-sata dock, i mean can you eject the drive from windows ?

and then replace it with another drive ?

In windows, as long as I set the drive to AHCI mode and made sure to dismount the drive in windows I could use it.

One last thing I noticed on my CM 690 II is that if you do remove the top 2 3.5" bays, you will never be able to use the bottom 4 3.5" HDD bays. The bottom 4 bays have attachment points directly to the side supports of the top 2 bays. They interlock tightly.

In windows, as long as I set the drive to AHCI mode and made sure to dismount the drive in windows I could use it.

What is the paint texture on your 690 II? Mine is a little rougher than I think it should be. It's not bad, just different from my Scout.

Steve

What is the paint texture on your 690 II? Mine is a little rougher than I think it should be. It's not bad, just different from my Scout.

Steve

Its not rough enough to take my skin off like sandpaper but it is rough. Its more of a spray bed liner kind of coating than paint, so its not really gonna chip I think. I would guess they dip it.

Anyone know when the basic model is supposed to be hitting the streets? I don't really need an external hotswap port or a retention bar for my vid card.

I got my case in yesterday. Upgraded from an old Antec steel beast.

Pros:
External drive dock - I love this!
It has a classy looking matte finish -- not a high gloss, scratch revealing coat.
Nice and roomy on the inside.
Sturdy but not too heavy.
It's very quiet.

Cons:
The external drive cover is kind of weak. It just slides off.
No filters on the side vents.
Cabling side of case is tight. Best to use L-shaped cables.

My cpu (e6600) now idles around 88 - full load 105 with stock cooler. Way lower than before. My monstrous ATI 5870 fits. :D Overall, it's a superb case!

Last edited:
So other than the black interior/rear, an e-sata dock, video card retention thingy, and a 2.5 converter doohicky is there anything majorly changed about the 692 compared to the old 690?

Cons:
The external drive cover is kind of weak. It just slides off.

Hmm, mine snaps in place nicely. Kind of like a battery cover, place it down a few mm back and then pull toward the front of the case to secure it. It has tiny tabs that could possibly be a weak point over time but they do a good job of holding it in place on mine.

So other than the black interior/rear, an e-sata dock, video card retention thingy, and a 2.5 converter doohicky is there anything majorly changed about the 692 compared to the old 690?

Really the only thing similar between the two cases are the exterior looks. Every single piece is different from the 690. The inside has a completely redesigned motherboard tray and drive cages. The 690 II is designed to use mostly 140mm fans instead of the 120's in the original. Cable routing options are expanded. Etc, etc, etc :)

Steve

Hmm, mine snaps in place nicely. Kind of like a battery cover, place it down a few mm back and then pull toward the front of the case to secure it. It has tiny tabs that could possibly be a weak point over time but they do a good job of holding it in place on mine. Steve

It does snap in place but I think the way it slides forward to reveal the slot and completely dislodges from the case bothers me. :) It's a little nit-picky nothing really. I'm so loving this case. I simply can't believe the temperature differences it's made! :D

I've found a lot more differences than similarities when compared to the old CM 690. Here are some that haven't been mentioned:
- 7+1 PCI slot for extra fan controllers or devices
- Front, Top and Bottom including PSU filters for dust management
- New tool free system for the ODD
- HAF style 3.5" bays
- Numerous fan positions for different cooling applications up to 10 or 11
- GPU bracket holder to help support the heavy GPU from breaking the motherboard
- LED on/off switch
- Cut out fan positions
- Larger diameter mesh for increased cooling

So coming from the CM 690, I agree that they only look similar but on the insides its a totally different chassis.

My only gripe with my CM690 is the power button,

I just got a CM690, I'm pretty concerned about the power button myself. Really odd that it's on the corner like that.

Only thing I am really let down by this case is that, it doesn't take 2 x 120mm or 1 x 240mm at the front.

I really liked my CM690.. I did a good bit of modding to it though. I removed the Chrome trim (I cant believe they put it on the 690 II). It just doesnt look right in my opinion. I hated how the mesh on the front slanted inwards toward the bottom, and I hated how the Fan filter on the front looked like a spider web, I fixed that too thankfully.

I do LOVE the black interior and how it takes two 140mm fans on the top. The cable management is second to none in the pricing category. It just seemed alot less cramped than my current Antec 300. If I could do it all over again, I would get another 690, and im thinking hard about getting the 690 II Advanced.

OK, Just got mine, Nice case, No finish defects. The side panels aren't buttery smooth, but not difficult to manipulate either way. The power button, well, it's a power button. Not sure where the gripes are coming from. Can't wait to put it together. Looks like wire management should be a cinch, even for a slob like me :)

OK, Just got mine, Nice case, No finish defects. The side panels aren't buttery smooth, but not difficult to manipulate either way. The power button, well, it's a power button. Not sure where the gripes are coming from. Can't wait to put it together. Looks like wire management should be a cinch, even for a slob like me :)

They were referring to the odd placement of the power switch on the original 690.

Steve

Just ordered one of these :) my 1st gen Antec P180 was showing its age!
Hope this one works out well!

Only thing I am really let down by this case is that, it doesn't take 2 x 120mm or 1 x 240mm at the front.

I'd like to know why the front 2 x 120 is needed. I used to have an Antec 300 and the front two fan spots couldn't support a internal radiator anyway. I think my CM 690 II's 140mm fan spinning quietly does the job of 2 x 120mm fans. I don't know how I could fit 2 x 120mm on the front without making the chassis 2inches longer.

There's a new funny video that explains the differences between the CM 690 II and CM 690 II Advanced. CM Girl Amanda is pretty hot too.

Amanda and her CM 690 II Advanced

Also FYI Here is a barely NSFW picture I find where Amanda tests the CM 690 II chassis strength with her hiney:D.

Sitting on Chassis

Pretty hot? Smokin. Why is she the Jan. CM girl and not a permanent model? Imagine the sales increase if a poster was shipped with every CM case.

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as nicknations. I really like my 690, and the 692 covers most of my complaints about the original. It just has a lot of little improvements - the black interior, the open CPU area, the (removable) drive mounting, the buttons. I think I'd love that SATA dock - I've always got some drive or another that I want to plug in. It's not too bad with eSATA, but just being able to drop it in makes things so much easier.

I'm currently using DVD drives in the top two bays, and a 120mm fan mounted in the bottom three bays. The 692 only has four bays, so this isn't an option. That's about the only downside I can see. I also wonder how much room there is at the top for a radiator. I have to remove my S1283V in order to remove the fans mounted on the inside of the top of my 690, and even slim fans won't fit between the metal and plastic (the outside of the top metal panel) without modding.

Anyone upgraded from a 690 to a 692 yet? I know that people have said they're quite different despite looking similar, but I wonder if the 690's side panel would fit the 692. There is a window panel for the 690 if that's the case.

They were referring to the odd placement of the power switch on the original 690.

Steve

Not to mention the cheap plastic pos that it is. It feels like the damn thing will break within a month of use(although I've had mine for over a year and a half and it hasn't broke yet...). The only complaints I have with the cm 690 are...

-No fan filters on the side
-No dual intake fan at the front/or a single 200mm intake at the front
-Hard Drive frames/cages(whatever you call them) are pretty brittle, a friend easily snapped one with little pressure applied
-Flimsy power button

Yet all things considered it's one of the best damn buys for $69 off newegg(it was that much last time I checked). If they just made the cm 690 II with a 200mm at the front I'd totally snatch that thing up. Two 140mm's at the side and top are better than the 200mm in the haf 922 anyway.

Anyone upgraded from a 690 to a 692 yet? I know that people have said they're quite different despite looking similar, but I wonder if the 690's side panel would fit the 692. There is a window panel for the 690 if that's the case.

I have confirmed that the original 690 windowed side panel will not fit the 690 II. My friend has a 690 so we tried it. No go.

Steve

oh that's bad, I really thought my current sidepanel will fit, well, thanks anyways for clearing that, at least I'll know that by the time I decide to purchase the case.

sucks sooo hard (no pun intended) that this case came out so shortly after i purchased my 690. i love the black interior on the 690 advance ii, and the better power/reset buttons and sata dock are sexy.

i'm also having issues with the front panel of my 690. the top left corner sticks like crazy and i think i've permanently twisted the plastic after having the panel on and off a few times during the process of rigging some extra cooling in my 5.25 bays. the seam along the top left where the front and top panels meet (where the chrome strip comes together) doesn't line up as nicely as it does on the top right.

oh, the pains of OCD. :/

can any 690 II owners comment on sound leakage, I'm tired of my noisy 932

I just placed my order for the 692. I bought a 690 earlier this month, and can still return it to the store I got it from. Tiger Direct has the Bing cashback, plus free shipping, so all in all, I paid the same for the 692 as I did for the 690 at the b&m. I'm thinking of it as a free trade up ;)

How's the cable routing room on the side of the case? It got really tight with the 690, since I was too cheap to get a modular psu. :(

Where I live they dont have advanced version only basic and yet it doesnt cost much less than antec nine hundred or haf 922... Is only basic worth it? I'd like to mention that I have 120mm high cfm push pull configuration on my cpu cooler and other 3 high cfm fans for intake and exhaust (all are 120x120x38mm, ~130+ cfm) + 2 mid rpm mid cfm fans and 2 more low rpm fans and last but not the least 2 92mm fans in my chieftec fulltower case :D. Is the upgrade even worth it? Its going to take place where my current steel monster sits - on the table right besides the window turning its back to the room. Right now I can feel the airflow 5 meters away from my case :D And yes, I will never ever have enough fans :rolleyes: Edit: or just drop more money and go for 1200... I so have upgrade bug right now...

Last edited:
Where I live they dont have advanced version only basic and yet it doesnt cost much less than antec nine hundred or haf 922... Is only basic worth it? I'd like to mention that I have 120mm high cfm push pull configuration on my cpu cooler and other 3 high cfm fans for intake and exhaust (all are 120x120x38mm, ~130+ cfm) + 2 mid rpm mid cfm fans and 2 more low rpm fans and last but not the least 2 92mm fans in my chieftec fulltower case :D. Is the upgrade even worth it? Its going to take place where my current steel monster sits - on the table right besides the window turning its back to the room. Right now I can feel the airflow 5 meters away from my case :D And yes, I will never ever have enough fans :rolleyes: Edit: or just drop more money and go for 1200... I so have upgrade bug right now...

I think you would be better off investing in some water cooling...

If you receive the Newegg promo, they're offering free shipping with the promo code. If you were like me and ordered it without free shipping, looks like your out of luck. I could have sworn Newegg had a 30-day price match guarantee. I guess they don't any longer.

If you've been holding out, now's the time. It's a really nice case!

Can you add 1 x 140 mm , on the bottom, right behind the PSU ?
I know about CM 690, it's possible only 120 mm case fan.
Would like to know that's possible,for CM 690 Advanced II , 140 mm or bigger,on the bottom.
Dimensions CM 690 Advanced II : Dimensions(L x W x H) 20.80" x 8.40" x 20.10"
Dimensions CM 690 : Dimensions(L x W x H) 20.65" x 8.39" x 18.98"
Cooler Master 690 Advanced II doesen't seem to be much bigger /higher / wider / than the CM 690.
Is very hard to pull the trigger. There is the HAF 922 / HAF 932 , good cases,too.
But i think, HAF 932 is too big,so i have the choice between CM 690 Advanced II and HAF 922.
Hard to say which one is better.
What do you think,guys ?

I'm tempted to pick this up. I have a $25 Amazon credit so I might pick it up there, $101.99 + Free Ship....

Hmmmmm...

Can you add 1 x 140 mm , on the bottom, right behind the PSU ?
I know about CM 690, it's possible only 120 mm case fan.
Would like to know that's possible,for CM 690 Advanced II , 140 mm or bigger,on the bottom.
Dimensions CM 690 Advanced II : Dimensions(L x W x H) 20.80" x 8.40" x 20.10"
Dimensions CM 690 : Dimensions(L x W x H) 20.65" x 8.39" x 18.98"
Cooler Master 690 Advanced II doesen't seem to be much bigger /higher / wider / than the CM 690.
Is very hard to pull the trigger. There is the HAF 922 / HAF 932 , good cases,too.
But i think, HAF 932 is too big,so i have the choice between CM 690 Advanced II and HAF 922.
Hard to say which one is better.
What do you think,guys ?

I see it depends on if your power supply is not too long. If it is too long you might not be able to install the 140mm fan. If you install a 140mm fan on the bottom you have to remove the front hard drive bays. If you install a 120mm fan on the bottom you don't.

The CM 690 II Advanced is more feature packed than the HAF 922, but trades off with less internal space for 12" video cards. The CM 690 II is also all black inside so I would choose it for that fact alone.

this case is awesome, ive had it for over a month now and its really awesome, the only downside which doesn't have to do with the case is my LOUD ass antec tricool fan i transferred from my p180.

I just installed a Corsair TX750 PSU and the fan is facing the ground as the case has vent holes on the very bottom of the case... is this correct? also the top 2 fans, should they both be blowing out of the case?

my current fan configuration is
2 fans on top (i believe they both blow out)
1 fan blowing out of the case from behind
1 fan blowing into the case from the front

EDIT: oh i should mention that the front headphone plug/music plug broke fairly easily :( so now i have to connect my headphones from the back panel which is kinda tedious but oh well it happens, its nothing id replace my case over. The top HD mount spot is AWESOME, has definitely made my life a lot easier in many instances instead of going in the case each time, i can just pop my hd right on top of my pc and it works seamlessly.

here are a few pics (cable management could be arranged a bit better but than it makes it difficult to put the back door back on)
IMG00038-20100215-0020.jpg

IMG00035-20100215-0019.jpg

IMG00036-20100215-0019.jpg

IMG00037-20100215-0020.jpg

IMG00038-20100215-0020.jpg

Last edited:
Just received mine and all I can say is WOW. This case is awesome.

I am having trouble seeing how the VGA holder is supposed to work though. Anyone have an "in action" shot??

Last edited:
I see it depends on if your power supply is not too long. If it is too long you might not be able to install the 140mm fan. If you install a 140mm fan on the bottom you have to remove the front hard drive bays. If you install a 120mm fan on the bottom you don't.

A 140mm fan will fit in the bottom of this case without removing the lower hard drive cage. I just installed mine this past weekend. You are correct about the power supply length being a factor though. My OCZ module fits fine with about an inch to spare but you might have trouble with others.

Steve

Just received mine and all I can say is WOW. This case is awesome.

I am having trouble seeing how the VGA holder is supposed to work though. Anyone have an "in action" shot??

Yea I love the case as well, a little bigger than my antec 900, but a lot easier for cable management.

I think that VGA holder only works with the video cards that have the fully enclosed heatsink/fan. I tried to get it to work on my asus cards but it didn't quite fit right.

IMG_4319.JPG

Yea I love the case as well, a little bigger than my antec 900, but a lot easier for cable management.

I think that VGA holder only works with the video cards that have the fully enclosed heatsink/fan. I tried to get it to work on my asus cards but it didn't quite fit right.

IMG_4319.JPG

I think you might be right; I also think it might be (mainly) for running Dual cards. I'm only running single, but it is an HD 5850 so I may need to try it.

Back