COD4 and Windows 7 x64

Boyo

Gawd
After building my new rig and switching from XP to Win 7 x64 my COD4 will not work. I keep getting an iw3mp.exe error when I try and play multiplayer. I have been on the COD forums and this seems to be a common problem with Vista but Win 7 is not mentioned.

Anyone have this problem and a solution?

Its more than likely your audio driver. That's always been the case anytime I've seen this problem with Vista/Windows 7 systems. Sometimes you want to use the default OS drive if that's an option or the latest from the manufacturer.

Yeah, from what I have read, the problem seems to stem from an audio driver. I have un-installed/re-installed the audio drivers. No luck.

I have tried all the various fixes that have been posted in the COD4 forums and none have worked, so I was hoping someone in the [H] forum could help.

If I install DirectX 9c will that revert my DirectX 11?

No. Nothing is working. I guess I am retired from playing COD4.

Thanks for the help

Is this the Steam version? The only times I've seen that error, is an unpatched retail copy, and an illegal hacked version of the game.

If it is not, I would uninstall the game, and then reinstall it to a different folder. Make sure your audio driver is reverted to the base win7 driver, and your dx is up to date, as well as with v9 installed, as mentioned. Launch the single player, and I thought you could input your game key in the options somewhere.

If it is the Steam version, try verifying the game cache.

Is this the Steam version? The only times I've seen that error, is an unpatched retail copy, and an illegal hacked version of the game.

If it is not, I would uninstall the game, and then reinstall it to a different folder. Make sure your audio driver is reverted to the base win7 driver, and your dx is up to date, as well as with v9 installed, as mentioned. Launch the single player, and I thought you could input your game key in the options somewhere.

If it is the Steam version, try verifying the game cache.

Mine is a retail copy, not steam. I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it four times, nothing works. The game itself works in Single player mode, no problem. The error is happening only when I try and play multiplayer.

Everything is up to date and I have downloaded DirectX 9c. No fix is working for the game. Very bizarre and disappointing when you build a new rig for work and gaming.
Ugh.

I too have Win 7 64 bit and am not able to play COD4 (very unhappy about that). When trying to install the last patch I get error code 1628. I have a retail copy.

I too have Win 7 64 bit and am not able to play COD4 (very unhappy about that). When trying to install the last patch I get error code 1628. I have a retail copy.

I figured I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Not sure what the cause is, but I have run the game with default audio drivers and the Realtek HD 2.51 drivers and nothing is working. Too frustrating. I am just going to move onto some new games when they get in.

Ok i had this problem... this might sound weird... do you have a microphone plugged in?

Ok i had this problem... this might sound weird... do you have a microphone plugged in?

had this too, weird issue with the sound driver where there had to be a mic plugged in, I didnt have one at the time so I plugged headphones into the port and the game started.

Same here mine would not run without a mic......
That makes a hell of a lot of since especially when they didn't tell anyone.
last of the cod games that was good...don't give up

I have a USB mic plugged in, and my headphones I plug in directly to my X-fi. So what should I do because the last patch would not install this way.

I have tried plugging in my mic and switching the audio to stereo mix. Nothing is working. Totally bogus because I love this game. I'll keep trying to get it to work....

Do you mean you tried plugging in the mic directly to the SC?

I don't have a sound card. I'm just using onboard audio. If you have a sound card, try and uninstall your drivers, clean your registry and reinstall/update them. If that doesn't work try plugging a mic into your sound card.

Why this game worked flawlessly on my XP rig and not this one is a joke. I've been trying to get this to work for 2 weeks now.

Have you tried right clicking and running as admin? I have found this works alot with older games that have problems, even though I am already on the admin account.

Have you tried right clicking and running as admin? I have found this works alot with older games that have problems, even though I am already on the admin account.

hmm. I didn't try that since I am already running as admin, but I will right click on it to see if that works.

Have you tried a fresh OS install with no addons and just the game? :O

Just a thought.

Back