COD4 Disc Scratched

aznknife

Bad Trader
Well my 360 tipped over scratching my COD4. I went to Ebgames/Gamestop today they told me the scratch was to deep and was a 'burn". Then they offered to buy it :confused: Anyways I don't really think I can fix it. So tomorrow I am going to Walmart and saying I bought it their and its like this :D Any ideas about what I can do?:rolleyes:

Not try and scam Wal-Mart? :p

They ain't jokin when they say don't touch the console when a game is in the drive. If it won't play you could get a replacement disc, though they sometimes charge $25 for it.

If it won't play, why would Gamestop want it though? Chances are it could be buffed out if they wanted to purchase it. Either that or they're returning it to the manufacturer for a credit.

Wal Mart, and pretty much every other store, will only exchange a scratched disc for a new one with a receipt, so good luck with that. You ruined the disc, own up to it instead of wasting other people's time. Presuming Wal Mart fails, contact the publisher, a lot of them over disc replacements for fairly cheap.

First of all, don't lie to Walmart and say you purchased it there. You're going to be called on the ethics of that decision quite a bit.

Secondly, put your 360 in a more secure place. Based on your post, it's nobody's fault but your own that your COD4 disc is scratched.

Having said that, there are some stores in your area that might have resurfacing devices. They may charge you, but that's probably the best advice that I can personally give. Oh, and they do sometimes work, but obviously nothing is guaranteed.

Like the previous poster said, you can get disc refinished and see if that works too. Call stores in your area that sell used games or music CDs and DVDs. Some of them will have disc resurfacers. Should cost you about $4 and it can smooth out some nasty scratches.

If you have a Game Crazy near you, they buff out disks. They are usually located in a Hollywood video store. Had a extremely messed up copy of Dead rising, and they buffed it out to look almost brand spanking new.

Goto a 2nd hand music and game store. Some of them will do a repair on a disc for a customer, some even will do it for free.

Doh! The 2 guys above me beat me to it!

Don't buy those buff kits or even pay the stores to buff it. I've used this trick with cd's that were so scratched they were unplayable, and it made them completely playable just as if they were brand new. Buff out the disc with toothpaste and your finger, rinse it with tap water, then dry it with paper towels. Cheap easy fix. Let me know how it works.

P.S. I've done this with both DVD's and music cd's and it worked flawlessly each time! :)

Don't buy those buff kits or even pay the stores to buff it. I've used this trick with cd's that were so scratched they were unplayable, and it made them completely playable just as if they were brand new. Buff out the disc with toothpaste and your finger, rinse it with tap water, then dry it with paper towels. Cheap easy fix. Let me know how it works.

P.S. I've done this with both DVD's and music cd's and it worked flawlessly each time! :)

Yeah I've been told by others about the toothpaste thing as well. What kind of toothpaste though? I heard some work better than others. I tried a toothpaste that I use and it didn't do much of anything.
Then I tried bananas. Now I have disks that smell like minty bananas that don't play.
I do things like this because I'm awesome.
If the disk has a scratch in it that is deep, the data that was where the scratch is now is gone. No amount of buffing is going to replace the physical burned highs and lows that produce the data.

^^ I tried it with the toothpaste nothing happened, not sure if I did it correctly. (First thing I did was this). People said it don't work. Did not get a chance to go to Walmart yet. Gonna try another gamestop.

I tired this once, really what kind of toothpaste should you use for this trick?

theres a certain kind you need, you gotta make sure it doesnt have something in it tho, ( cant remeber off hand what it was.) It works OK not as good as taking it to get resurfaced, but most of the times you gotta do it multiple times, and in my experiance it wont work on deep gouges like what the OP prolly has. Do a google search for Remove scratches with Toothpaste" and im sure you will find it..

I just used Colgate toothpaste with Tartar Control. Seemed to work good and my disc's smell...MINTY!!!

This happened to me a while back with forza 2. I tried one of the scratch removal kits from the stores and it didn't fix the problem for me. The read head makes a pretty deep scratch when this happens. Unless your local game store has some professional resurfacing equipment you might as well just let gamestop buy it. They gave me half of my money back for the game and I used it to buy a new copy. It sucked, but I played the hell out of that game and still got my moneys worth and learned my lesson.

forget scamming wal-mart. Scam blockbuster, or should I say Blockfister. I work there, so you have permission:D Rent a copy and switch the discs, then bring it back, tell me it doesn't work because it is scratched, and I will give you a credit for it:D

forget scamming wal-mart. Scam blockbuster, or should I say Blockfister. I work there, so you have permission:D Rent a copy and switch the discs, then bring it back, tell me it doesn't work because it is scratched, and I will give you a credit for it:D

They dont give you any credit :(. When I rented a legit copy of Halo 2 it froze at a certain part, so I take it back, and they gave me a new one, but no credit! They did not even applogize.

The best method for fixing scratched discs is... Brasso. It's a Brass polish, but it works great on plastics as well. It works as well as the stuff you get in expensive kits, but it is quite cheap and available at most grocery stores. That plus a good, soft, lint free cloth will do a real good job buffing scratches out of a disc.

The best method for fixing scratched discs is... Brasso. It's a Brass polish, but it works great on plastics as well. It works as well as the stuff you get in expensive kits, but it is quite cheap and available at most grocery stores. That plus a good, soft, lint free cloth will do a real good job buffing scratches out of a disc.

I've never tried it on a disks, but it does work fantastic on plastic (ipod.) Had to go real easy with it on my ipod, so i would imagine you would have to go extremely easy on it on a disk.

They dont give you any credit :(. When I rented a legit copy of Halo 2 it froze at a certain part, so I take it back, and they gave me a new one, but no credit! They did not even applogize.

I wouldn't give you a credit if you were nice. Just make sure you bring it back shortly after renting it, and act like an ass if they give you any trouble. The district manager will always give you a credit if your complaint is genuine, no exceptions. Many times even if it isn't really genuine. Also the only way you get a credit is if they don't have, or you don't want another game. Of course they aren't going to give you your money back if they fixed your problem, that wouldn't make any sense

Back