cod4 framerate questions

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I have been playing cod4 on my 8800gt at 1280x768.I seem to be stuck at 90-91 fps.It doesn't go higher then this in MP but it goes up to 300 in SP.Just wondering why it stays at 90-91

Theres a lot more going on in MP.
Over 60 fps doesn't really matter anyways.

Why do you want or need to go higher? You do realize that you monitor probably only runs at 60 or 75 Hz anyways, right? This means that going above 60 FPS makes NO difference at all. You might as well turn the graphics up.

Why do you want or need to go higher? You do realize that you monitor probably only runs at 60 or 75 Hz anyways, right? This means that going above 60 FPS makes NO difference at all. You might as well turn the graphics up.
The game will feel more responsive at frame rates above 60, particulary being an engine derived from quake the game is very sensitive to your frame rate.

Bman123, try opening the console and typing /com_maxfps 125

125 can be any max frame rate (and setting it to 0 will set no limit) but I would recommend 125 if you can keep a solid 125, otherwise you may be better off leaving it at the default of 90 to keep the frame rate constant.

yep there is a standard cap on framerate in cod4 mp

I tuned mine up to 200fps.
[/com_maxfps 200]

I think if you set it too high PB will kick you. Because back in Cod2 I entered [/com Maxfps 1000] and PB kicked me for some error. I set it down to 240 and it ran fine.

cod4 may be completely different though, just give it a try ;)

I got kicked a few time for having maxfps at 250, so I just set it to 125 as it doesn't really make a difference if it is set higher (though jumping higher / silent running can happen? That's what I've heard with Q3 engine and rates/fps).

You shouldn't be getting fps problems though, I get solid 125 fps with an x1900xtx @ 800x600 with 4xAA and 16xAF, and I'm sure it wouldn't be much less if any at 1280. I would try setting com_maxfps to like 200 like the above poster and see if it improves.

I know in some games if you use VSync that it will cap your fps. Havn't tried it in COD 4, but i know it does the trick to uncap the fps in some games.

I just played a round at 1280 x 1024 and didn't drop below 100 fps at the same settings, so it definitely sounds like something is wrong.

Yeah I have everything turned up AA/AF all up and everything on normal/high.
I just thought that if it can go higher then why not do it.Thanks guys I was hoping that there was a cap on this game and it wasn't the max my card could do/

I got kicked a few time for having maxfps at 250, so I just set it to 125 as it doesn't really make a difference if it is set higher (though jumping higher / silent running can happen? That's what I've heard with Q3 engine and rates/fps).
You should be able to jump higher at 125, you could in cod2 at least! 333 was the spot for silent footsteps in cod2 I believe, pre-patched.

You should be able to jump higher at 125, you could in cod2 at least! 333 was the spot for silent footsteps in cod2 I believe, pre-patched.

This was originally an aspect of the Quake 3 engine. Everybody capped their FPS at 125 because it made you capable of jumping slightly higher due to the way the engine worked.

how do you open up the console command? Sorry to sound like a total noob but this is my first pc gaming experience.I have always had consoles until my cpab box 180 dookied on me 3 times so I sold and bought the 8800gt.
I have noticed that people respond alot quicker then me so I was thinking it was the framerate and I would like to see what this 8800gt can really do in MP.
Please let me know how to open up the console commands thanks guys

You hit the tilde key ` (left of the 1 key).

Then type:

/com_maxfps 0

To see what your card/pc is capable of (you may be cpu bound at that resolution depending on which cpu you have.)

Back