COD4 won't play..

Kathy

Limp Gawd
I just installed this on my new Win/Vista install and it went through the setup fine but now when I try to start the game I get this error message and the game won't even try to open (Windows can't start this program because (D3DX9_34.dll) is missing) re-installing may help.) I didn't let it install DirecX9-C because I didn't think Vista needed it, is that the problem? I didn't try re-installing it yet but I will, just wanted to see if you guys knew what the problem was first. :) Thanks!

Kathy

It shouldn't need to install DX9 but I always let game sinstall DX9 on my windows vista. See if you cant find the DX9 installer off your COD4 cd and run it and see if that fixes your problems. If that doesn't work re-install the game and let it runt he dx9 updates :)

It shouldn't need to install DX9 but I always let game sinstall DX9 on my windows vista. See if you cant find the DX9 installer off your COD4 cd and run it and see if that fixes your problems. If that doesn't work re-install the game and let it runt he dx9 updates :)

OK Thanks! I thought it would overwrite my current DirecX which I think is 10? Either way the one that comes with Vista would be at least 9, no? :)

Kathy

lol, DX updates never over write newer versions of it self. So when you run it, it should only give you the files you need and not write over any newer dx10 files you have :)

I honestly have no clue if vista doesn't ship with all the dx9 files it should or not as I always install the dx9 updates if the game offers to :p

Hey don't laugh at me ,I can't help it if you didn't explain it right the first time. :D J/K! Thanks for the help and I'll try it out. :)

Kathy

hehe, no problem, post back here after words to let us no if it works for you or not. One more thing though, after you do get it working don;t try and adjust your resolutions with X-Fire running as you will get some stupid DX error, close down x-fire first, change your resolutions then start xfire back up :)

hehe, no problem, post back here after words to let us no if it works for you or not. One more thing though, after you do get it working don;t try and adjust your resolutions with X-Fire running as you will get some stupid DX error, close down x-fire first, change your resolutions then start xfire back up :)

Yep, it worked and I played the training mission, but I didn't do too good. lol

Not sure what you mean by (X-Fire) but I didn't change anything yet. Are you able to save at any point in this game or do you have to play to the end of each mission?

Thanks again, looks like a great game but I know I'm going to die a lot. lol

Kathy

well if you don;t know what im talking about then im not gonna tell you! lol

X-Fire is just a program that lets you keep track of what games your friends are playing and lets you IM them. But since you don;t have it don't worry about it lol. I think when you go to save and quit next time you go to resume it starts you from your last check point.

Lemme start by saying GOOGLE is not my friend.. LOL! I finally broke down and purchased CoD4 yesterday and started playing it this morning. I noticed about 30 minutes into the game that my screen froze. Huh? My system hard locked. No looping sound. Just a perfect picture like a screen shot, but my system was frozen. Well, I rebooted and got back on. 10 minutes later... Guess what? Froze again. It continues to freeze about every 10 minutes. Ugh!

I have tried running my graphic cards are stock speeds (with riva tuner uncheck in my msconfig file (won't load on start up). Still freezes.

I have tried my default CPU settings at 2.66ghz. Still freezes.

I removed 2gb's of ram (and tried different combinations of the (4) 1gb sticks that I have. Still freezes.

I read on "other" forums that it is happening a lot but everyone has their "theory".. I am not playing the multiplayer. I have only played the single player. I've disabled my Anti Virus.. Nothing. Disabled Windows Defender.. Nothing. Some have mentioned punkbuster could be the issue.. But no one knows for sure. I have even tried running the game on the WORST possible settings at 640x480.. Nothing!

My other games run PERFECTLY fine! F.E.A.R., HL2, Lost Planet and Crysis ALL RUN FINE! Only CoD4 hard locks my system. Anyone know the "magical" solution (aside from waiting for "newer drivers" or "game patches". BTW, I am on v1.2 if that matters. I have been fighting this ALL DAY and it's getting extremely annoying.

I've even used other "tried and true" known stable clocks for me.. 3.905ghz, 3.75ghz, 3.6ghz, 3.2ghz, 3.0ghz and 2.66ghz.. Nothing worked. It hard locked at every clock speed. It locked each time after roughly 10 minutes of play time. Has anyone experienced this?

officermartinez, so far I've not had that problem and I just played it for about an hour, still using all default settings. I didn't use the patch yet either, have you tried installing it without the patch? Could that have anything to do with it? I'm the last person in the world to help you because I don't know anything at all about this stuff but just thought I share my thoughts with you. :)

Kathy

Thanks Kathy for your input.. For some reason late last night, I noticed that my screen saver had kicked in... Well, I don't use a screen saver. So, within Windows Vista, I went to the "performance settings" tab and noticed that it said: TURN OFF HARD DISK AFTER 10 MINUTES. I "had" it set to: NEVER TURN OFF HARD DISK. So, I corrected the change. We'll see if that was my problem (somehow my hard disk was powering down during game play)..

I'm getting lockups in COD4 at random intervals as well... three different driver revisions all do it, I think. 169.09, 163.71, 156.83

System I'm playing on is a Thinkpad T61p, video card is a Quadro FX 570M (8600M GT, basically). I installed it on my HTPC, with an ATI 690g chipset, turned details all the way down. It still ran choppy, but it worked fine for an hour or so, then I stopped playing and worked on some homework.

Half-Life 2 Episode Two, apart from the game-specific lockups others have documented as being a problem with the game specifically, works fine, as does POTBS - for hours. So I think it is a COD4 issue, I just don't know what about it. I'll probably try reinstalling it and see if that helps.

Back