Codecs & Vista

jdraughn

Limp Gawd
So, what do you guys use for codecs on Vista? I hate codec packs but I always invariably download something that requires some oddball codec.

So I tried vista codec pack, supposed to be just enough to play everything, but it dont' play a HD WMV (1080P) movie that I downloaded somewhere on the internet.

I normally just use ffdshow, but it causes crap loads of errors. I am really looking forward to getting my movies cataloged with my movies and pulling out the media center remote.

Who cares where he gets movies from.. :rolleyes:

I use..

- CoreAVC
- Haali
- Xvid
- Quicktime Alternative
- AC3 Filter

All work great under Vista.

For your WMVHD, those work without any extra downloaded codecs in WMP 11.

Who cares where he gets movies from.. :rolleyes:

I use..

- CoreAVC
- Haali
- Xvid
- Quicktime Alternative
- AC3 Filter

All work great under Vista.

For your WMVHD, those work without any extra downloaded codecs in WMP 11.

B/c, smart one, it might the reason why either the codec isn't working or what was in the movie.

I just get the K-lite basic pack.
Ugh, worst suggestion ever.
OP said:
So, what do you guys use for codecs on Vista? I hate codec packs but I always invariably download something that requires some oddball codec.
http://www.cccp-project.net/
but it dont' play a HD WMV (1080P) movie that I downloaded somewhere on the internet.
How does it play in WMP?
I normally just use ffdshow, but it causes crap loads of errors.
But something tells me that you have more problems then some HD WMV file not playing...

ffdshow + haali splitter +quick/real altern plays anything i have, including various anime mit subtitles. you only really need the core avc decoder if you have a slower cpu or you want to multi task a lot while watching things.

I use klite in xp and vista, no problems and it plays everything.

I've read that there are some alleged legality issues with K-Lite and some of the other codec packs.. some AV gurus seem to have a great deal of disdain for it/them.. having said that, I use K-Lite on XP and Vista, indeed I'd say I've come to rely on it.

I tend to avoid coreAVC because it does not decode as well as ffdshow for 264 material. I've seen quite a few side-by-side shots and made my own. While the differnces are small, ffdshow does a better job. However, if you are CPU strapped, then coreAVC all the way. The loss of quality vs CPU savings is a very large delta. CoreAVC to ffdhow is equivalent of what mp3 did to file size vs quality.

I personally leave FFDshow running by default. If my rig is pegging out (as below) then I switch to coreAVC (i hate dropped frames worse). It only takes a few clicks.

I use the following w/ Vista MCE:

PowerDVD Ultra (x264 playback)
Haali splitter (mkv files)
ffdshow (divx/xvid)

Plays everything under the sun.

Back