Colored CCFLs, the right way (pics).

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Too many posts here about red CCFLs that pink, blue CCFLs that are too light, etc...

Here's how to make virtually ANY color CCFL that you can imagine, including multiple colors.

First, start with your ordinary white CCFL. Get the brightest you can find. SVC carries a few different brands, but I like these ones the best. They're cheap, and brighter than any other ones I've used. Also, the invertor is detachable, so if you burn it up, you can replace it easily.

Second, grab your newly acquired white CCFLs (and a power supply to power them up), go down to your local sign shop, and pick out some vinyl. This stuff will be SUPER cheap, probably even free if you pick through the scrap pile. You'll need approximately 12" X 2" for each light. Before you bring it home, peel off a small piece and lay it on the light while it is on. Some vinyl has a silver backing that won't let through much light and will cause the colors to be grayish. Some vinyl has a white backing that will cause the light to look pale. You want to find the vinyl that has the same color backing as the vinyl you are using. Most Avery 8-yr grade vinyl in the Opague series has the same color backing as the vinyl.

Here's what I am using:
PICT0624.JPG

2 bulbs will be red, 2 will be yellow, 2 will be blue, and 2 will be orange.

Here is what the bulbs look like when they are NOT lit up:
PICT0608.JPG

And here they are when they ARE lit up:
PICT0607.JPG

PICT0614.JPG

I will take pics along the way as I wrap the 8 bulbs in vinyl.

You will need one other tool to do this job properly, and that is a paper cutter or picture trimmer with a rotary blade on it. You might also be able to get the sign shop to cut your vinyl for you at an additional cost.

Nice PSU... wish I was still building the all-acrylic case I started and never finished!

Good tutorial!

ive seen alot of your cases, you sure make wire loom look leet, ill give u that.
and is that the midtower of that case or the really big one?

great work though

ScHpAnKy said:
I've found cellophane to have a greater effect, but more power to ya! :cool:

I thought of that, too.

Too hard to find.
You need a lot more layers to get a deep color.
Near impossible to get it on without a ton of wrinkles.
No way to "permanently" attach it, since there is no sticky stuff on it.

Would a Kinko's have the vinyl stuff?? They do signs. I would really like to do this to my lighting for my case as it provides the correct color I want. Thanks for the post!!!!

tikicult said:
Would a Kinko's have the vinyl stuff?? They do signs. I would really like to do this to my lighting for my case as it provides the correct color I want. Thanks for the post!!!!

Kinkos only prints their signs. sign shops aren't that hard to find. most will give you scrap for free.

If you guys PM me, and ask me nicely, I should be able to come up with the colors you need.

I am planning to do a how-to showing each step along the way. I might even do a video showing it.

ScHpAnKy said:
I've found cellophane to have a greater effect, but more power to ya! :cool:

Even better are theatrical lighting gels. Like cellophane but much richer colours and more variety of colours.

Back