Comcast Screw-Up of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just imagine if this happened to you. I think I'd be mad as hell to. :eek:

Just a minute ago, I started getting phone calls and texts that I was on TV. Having no idea what it was about, I searched the title, "Detroit Another Chance" and found the production company uploaded a copy of it to YouTube a month ago. Without my permission, I now appear in a bullsh*t Comcast-powered sh*tfest of fake sunshine Detroit boosterism that claims our existence as a company is due to the generosity and genius of Quicken Loans et cetera rather than hard work and investment in our own city. I did not choose to endorse a sh*tty, evil, manipulative company like Comcast that actively works to take our information rights away and I won't abide by them lifting our image for their gain. I'm mad as hell and pursuing this to the furthest extent the law will take me.

He'll lose. Comcast has much more money for much better lawyers.

Wow what a crazed rant! :eek: Bombing out profanity to media outlets will certainly make him look like a roid-raged maniac with anger management issues though I don't think it'll help him present a constructive complaint even if a certain equally nutty population group will be like, "Yeah broski! Preach against the Comcast Man!"

Wow what a crazed rant! :eek: Bombing out profanity to media outlets will certainly make him look like a roid-raged maniac with anger management issues though I don't think it'll help him present a constructive complaint even if a certain equally nutty population group will be like, "Yeah broski! Preach against the Comcast Man!"

I'd be foaming-at-the-mouth pissed as well.

He'll lose. Comcast has much more money for much better lawyers.

I doubt he'll lose if it actually goes to trial, but they will make it hard for him to actually get this to trial. They will keep getting extensions and other BS.

What they did is illegal.

I would assume he signed a release to Whole Foods. It all depends on what that says.

file lawsuit, 100-150 bucks each, every month until they settle and Comcast will settle cause it will cost them thousands just to show up to one suit. win win. ;)

So this guy agrees to let Whole Foods Video Magazine to shoot footage, signs an agreement (probably including the rights to distribute and use the footage elsewhere) Then Whole Foods gives permission to use said footage to this production company. Bad Comcast. Evil Comcast. Wait, er what?

This is just a pointless Anti-Comcast rant. Maybe he should have read the agreement with Whole Foods before he signed it.

It doesn't even sound like the video was promoting Comcast, but Detroit itself.

I doubt he'll lose if it actually goes to trial, but they will make it hard for him to actually get this to trial. They will keep getting extensions and other BS.

What they did is illegal.

It was probably very legal. He probably signed the rights away to the footage with Whole Foods and is just pissed off about it.

It was probably very legal. He probably signed the rights away to the footage with Whole Foods and is just pissed off about it.

I suppose it's possible that he signed a document that gave them rights to resell footage for any use. Seems like a stupid document to sign if so, but... yeah, you're right. It's a possibility.

“[A]ny big company — even good ones — need to ask permission of the little guys who appear in their adverts,”
It’s possible the producers of this “documentary” got permission from the Whole Foods folks

Translation: I don't know how to read the contracts I sign and now I'm mad because illiterate people should be protected from their own stupidity. :rolleyes:

I suppose it's possible that he signed a document that gave them rights to resell footage for any use. Seems like a stupid document to sign if so, but... yeah, you're right. It's a possibility.
Probably fine print worded cryptically on page 73 of the disclaimer he signed.

I work in the film industry, the 1 page 16 point fount on a normal film release says the production company can use the footage for whatever they want. Even if its for another protect that has nothing to do with what it was filmed for. Normal they have a PA go over and say how it will never be used so don't worry about it. If they get pissed later they can just say the PA had no idea what he was talking about, it says CLEARLY they can use it for whatever.

"bullsh*t Comcast-powered sh*tfest of fake sunshine Detroit boosterism"

Made me LOL

I work in the film industry, the 1 page 16 point fount on a normal film release says the production company can use the footage for whatever they want. Even if its for another protect that has nothing to do with what it was filmed for. Normal they have a PA go over and say how it will never be used so don't worry about it. If they get pissed later they can just say the PA had no idea what he was talking about, it says CLEARLY they can use it for whatever.

...Why would anyone ever sign a document like that? Seriously...

file lawsuit, 100-150 bucks each, every month until they settle and Comcast will settle cause it will cost them thousands just to show up to one suit. win win. ;)

And the upside, is that with a settlement in small claims court you could have your pick of houses to buy in Detroit! Of course that's not really an upside because you'd still be in detroit.

So this guy agrees to let Whole Foods Video Magazine to shoot footage, signs an agreement (probably including the rights to distribute and use the footage elsewhere) Then Whole Foods gives permission to use said footage to this production company. Bad Comcast. Evil Comcast. Wait, er what?

This is just a pointless Anti-Comcast rant. Maybe he should have read the agreement with Whole Foods before he signed it.

It doesn't even sound like the video was promoting Comcast, but Detroit itself.

Yeah, I especially like the part where he hates Comcast and they are evil but then he spews more hate because Comcast might sell of the contract for the area he's live.

For that infringement, a $150,000 per person whom Comcast shared the commercial with, seems fair like a fair penalty.

For that infringement, a $150,000 per person whom Comcast shared the commercial with, seems fair like a fair penalty.

With as much money they may have gained from this and with how large the company is they should ask for much more only because $150k is a drop in the bucket for crap@ss. I'd say go RIAA/MPAA big 1 Million per potential person shown.

Back