Come play my BF2 level "TwoBridges"

shaocaholica

Limp Gawd
Playtest Highlights - H.264 Med Quality 80MB 12min <- You need Quicktime 7

Playtest Highlights - WMV9 Med Quality 80MB 12min <- You may have to copy and paste the URL into Windows Media Player to watch it streaming

So I made this BF2 map for a game design class and now I want to publicly test it since it was a bitch to get together enough friends to test it. It is not a conquest map and I didn't have time to code in all the game logic so it runs as a conquest map but you actually can't play it as such since none of the control points are cappable. Im looking for people to play the map so I can get input as to how I can make it better.

Anyway, heres the mini map graphic:

minimap_web.png

Here are 2 videos of the map(older version) in action:

WMV9 Medium Quality

Quicktime H264 Medium Quality

Basically, the point of the map is to drive vehicles across the bridges while shooting at the other team who is trying to do the same. To score, get a vehicle across the bridge into a hanger on the other side without being blown up. I've made it so that vehicles don't respawn if they are abandoned so all the vehicles deposited in the hanger will stay there and you can sorta tell how many are in play since they wont be at the main spawning area. I haven't started work on any scripting that would count the vehicles and end the game when one team gets all of theirs across the bridge.

Also, there are 4 main sentry towers (2 per team) that can be used to shoot at the opposing teams vehicles. I wanted this game to have players playing offense(driving) and playing defense (in the sentries). The ticket count is jacked all the way up so you can suicide and spawn anywhere you want (no spawn time penalty either). This way, you can move from sentry to sentry instananeously without worrying about sacrificing tickets.

Installation and Server Instructions
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dowload TwoBridges Level Version 4-20-06

Download TwoBridges.zip. Unzip the "TwoBridges" folder into your \BF2_Install_Directory\mods\bf2\Levels\.

The server running the game is: Server is down until next revision

looks boring....and looks like u took 2 seconds to make it :-P but hey have fun with it dude!

Ron1jed said:
looks boring....and looks like u took 2 seconds to make it :-P but hey have fun with it dude!
Its a bit more complex than the picture implies but its still simple compared the retail BF2 maps. Its my first BF2 map and I didn't want to commit a huge amount of time into a game mechanic that may not work out in the long run. You are right that its boring but only with less than 10 people playing which is why Im posting it here so I can get more testers.

I watched the vid, you're putting the focus on a type of "chase", like you'd see in the movies? Even with a simple design like the one you did, add a little more variance to the driving, other than endless ramps. An overpass or two, area's for ambush.. things like that.

Other than that, nice work and keep at it.

Lamont said:
I watched the vid, you're putting the focus on a type of "chase", like you'd see in the movies? Even with a simple design like the one you did, add a little more variance to the driving, other than endless ramps. An overpass or two, area's for ambush.. things like that.

Other than that, nice work and keep at it.
I really did want overpasses and the like but there's limited resources in the BF2 library. Also, I don't want players from one team going over to the over teams bridge because then the map turns into a death match.

Mabey make it twist a bit... not so straight? An urban environment?

Lamont said:
Mabey make it twist a bit... not so straight? An urban environment?
There are no bridge peices that "twist", also the water helps because anything that goes into it is pretty much dead. I guess I could put a city undernieth but it was way simpler not to. I'll make this map pretty once I get the basics down.

xTABx7 said:
I would put a stretch of of where ther bridges are combined into one section
I don't want the teams to access the other bridge because it turns the game into a deathmatch. Also, there are no structures that allow 2 bridges to be joined.

So the BF2 level editor will only let you use pre-fabs they made?

I know you want to avoid having troops mix on one another's track, but what about the idea of having it run through a valley of sorts, with sheer cliffs on either side. That way, you aren't relying upon bridges and can sort of twist and turn it. Just a thought.

edit: I havent tried it yet, but just looking at the layout, you may also want to make sure that the sentry points have no line of sight with opposing sentry points to avoid a sniper war.

Can you set it so the track is more of an X? That way there could be a crossing right in the middle. Just do it on a small enough angle so that the tracks don't get out of firing range.

edit: forget it, guess there would be no way of getting a crossing in there

You could try spicing it up by creating broken bridge sections which you have to jump over with a ramp. Or perhaps some random objects strewn around.

Anyway, I like the concept. Good luck on improving the map!

shaocaholica said:
I don't want the teams to access the other bridge because it turns the game into a deathmatch.
How about modifying the kits so that no one has any weapons? The Wake Island Air Show mod has something similar, where every player is a pilot--no weapons. Maybe even add C4 to the standard kit. Having the potential for roadkills on this map would make it more interesting.

Keep up the good work.

wfalcon said:
edit: I havent tried it yet, but just looking at the layout, you may also want to make sure that the sentry points have no line of sight with opposing sentry points to avoid a sniper war.
Its hard to see in the map but there is a tall silo blocking the towers from sniping each other.

KillerMonkey said:
You could try spicing it up by creating broken bridge sections which you have to jump over with a ramp. Or perhaps some random objects strewn around.

Anyway, I like the concept. Good luck on improving the map!
You can't see from the map but there are explosive barrels randomly placed along both bridges. One problem is that they don't respawn when blown up. I guess that might be a good thing since you don't want a barrel to spawn right in front of you without warning.

Man, you need to learn how to shoot judging from that video. :p

Looks cool, though I'll probably come play after class tonight.

Luxor said:
Man, you need to learn how to shoot judging from that video. :p

Looks cool, though I'll probably come play after class tonight.

If I took the other car out, there wouldn't be much of a video would there?

That video was awesome. I loved it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have BF2 installed in my computer... otherwise I'd definitely help you out.

Sorry.

shaocaholica said:
Its hard to see in the map but there is a tall silo blocking the towers from sniping each other.

Even on the diagonals? (ie, from the closest US sentry to the farthest MEC sentry) Or are those beyond the max line of sight?

wfalcon said:
Even on the diagonals? (ie, from the closest US sentry to the farthest MEC sentry) Or are those beyond the max line of sight?

Yeah, its almost beyond the max render distance but you wont see any players, just a sillouette of the tower in the fog.

I just watched the movie, looks very good but please tell me that wasn't you gunning...because that person couldn't hit crap... :)

shaocaholica said:
If I took the other car out, there wouldn't be much of a video would there?

I was hoping that's what you were gonna say. :p

Gonna check it out now.

Tried it out, it was ok but I can see how it would get boring.

Suggestions:

Maybe instead of a straight bridge, make the sections with the sentry towers land and the road has to go around the outside of the sentry tower and back in to get to the other section of the bridge. Still keeping the two sides apart the entire time, but at the sentry towers you have to go around thus giving more time for the towers to shoot the drivers, as well as mixing up the rather boring straight run. I think something like that would still give you the same 'end game' you are going for but would also make the map more entertaining and probably challenging.

A personal problem I had was that they were all jeeps. I hate the jeeps, so slow. Pop in some dunebugs and you are golden. :D

You can also get to the other teams bridge if you jump off at a sentry tower and swim. Takes awhile but depending on how long a typical game goes, it is very doable.

LynxFX said:
A personal problem I had was that they were all jeeps. I hate the jeeps, so slow. Pop in some dunebugs and you are golden. :D

You can also get to the other teams bridge if you jump off at a sentry tower and swim. Takes awhile but depending on how long a typical game goes, it is very doable.
The jeeps (FAVs) have a upper turret that can shoot 360 degrees around, you can't do that with the buggy but I beleive both have the same top speed.

Yes you can swim but it takes a really long time. I haven't timed it but it might be 10-15 minutes. I figure that was a pretty strong deterrent. Also, you're exposed to being shot at without being able to shoot back if spotted.

shaocaholica said:
I really did want overpasses and the like but there's limited resources in the BF2 library. Also, I don't want players from one team going over to the over teams bridge because then the map turns into a death match.
Make it so that the opposing force can enter your path but have strict limits, as it is now you totally disccount mines and c4. Detecting and Removing them could also be a Small part of the game aswell( with poeple parsing to remove mines and explosives in the designated areas laid out for the enemy to cross over. of course i have no idea how you could place limits.

Thanks for the input so far. Now its official test day! Maybe I should have some prizes to boost attendence!

Looks nice...

but you should make jumps over gaping holes in the bridge, or make sections of the bridge destroyable. (i don't know if you can do this with anything other than c4, so if that's the case, it wouldn't work.)

Maybe you could add a black hawk or an apache in there, just for fun?

I'll probably load it up later, if i get a chance.

Im probably going to join around 8:30pm EST and be there to greet people. Please come and play!

Please reply if you plan on attending.

shaocaholica said:
Im probably going to join around 8:30pm EST and be there to greet people. Please come and play!

Please reply if you plan on attending.
I do...

If i can find my battlefield 2 cd. XD

Thanks to everyone who showed up. I'll be making some major changes to the map in the next few days.

forget the naysayers dude, that looks like fun as hell to play! I like the simple concept (run the guantlet). If peeps want some hardcore strategy there's plenty of those, your map looks like it'd be a blast when you got 20-30 min you want to kill w/o being all serious about it. :eek:

just so you know, i havent played BF2 yet......in fact, i've missed out on all the BF series :(

Back