Command & Conquer 4 open beta tomorrow

I wish the camera was zoomed out more, I hate playing everything so upclose.

I really want to play this but I'm fearful that I won't like it. It seems like its been changed so much and I like the classic C&C kind of gameplay.

im waiting patiently for the beta just so i can see how badly they screwed this game up as well..

Oye. Another one already? Cool I Guess....

I'll be playing FF13 when this comes out, but maybe I'll pick it up afterwards. If it sounds like its decent.

I'm a big fan of C&C

Does it have zoomable cameras like SupCom?

Oh SupCom, how many of us have you ruined for traditional RTS interfaces? "No Tactical-zoom? Forget about it!"

Gotta say I feel the same way though, without tactical zoom RTS's feel clunky and awkward.

I couldn't agree more about the tactile zoom...

But I'll opt in for the beta at least!

I'll try the beta out. Haven't played a C&C game since red alert.... yes, it's been that long.

Edit: The site works just fin for me Soul, just tried it.

I really want to play this but I'm fearful that I won't like it. It seems like its been changed so much and I like the classic C&C kind of gameplay.

I feel the same. The no base building is killer. No mod support it seems either. Some of the most fun I've had with CnC 3 was with Tiberium Wars Advance. Some other promising mods coming.

Signed up and gonna try the beta, but I feel another one of my fav game series might have been butchered by people who had no idea what made it great in the first place (Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy 10+, im looking at you)

Wait a minute, there's no base building anymore? Teh fuckz this?

Yay for the C&C site being so hammered it won't load. Got my key for myself and my brother at least.

I like how I read this post immediately after keys were given out. Good timing.

Last edited:
I have a key but there is no download link? The site is working fine but it's not giving me any links.

Mine as well try this one out, since it's an open beta. Nothing else to do today! EDIT: No BASEZ!?!?! WTF!?!?! But seriously, no bases... don't think I'll be buying this one.

Last edited:
No base building? Fuck that. I'll stick with C&C3. I played a round that lasted about 5 minutes, and that was long enough for me to know that I don't like it. I'm disappointed.

I agree, I was a huge C&C fan, but C&C3 and Red Alert 3 just made me puke.

GS has apparently gone to waitlist status for the beta keys. I should probably go hunt down my Red Alert 3 CE and try to use the key that came with that...

So what does everyone think about this? This beta has lots of bugs, can't connect to games half the time, crashes, etc.

This game is a huge piece of shit. After games like supreme commander and sins of a solar empire I don't see how a company would think this game is acceptable. No tatical zoom, you don't harvest resources and you don't base build. There isn't strategy to the game at all. The super zoomed in view is the same old shit. Seriously games should not be made like this anymore.

Last edited:
This game is a huge piece of shit. After games like supreme commander and sins of a solar empire I don't see how a company would this this game is acceptable. No tatical zoom, you don't harvest resources and you don't base build. There isn't strategy to the game at all. The super zoomed in view is the same old shit. Seriously games should not be made like this anymore.

Can't agree more..
I don't know why they change the whole gameplay for.

Games like supreme commander can also bring computers to their knees in larger battles.

Perhaps they may want to bring in the console crowd which can't be done with supreme commander no matter how much they cut it back, they just don't have the power.

i quit buying ea's cnc games after they sold me an alpha build of kane's wrath.

never again. not even going to try the beta for this.

Games like supreme commander can also bring computers to their knees in larger battles.

Perhaps they may want to bring in the console crowd which can't be done with supreme commander no matter how much they cut it back, they just don't have the power.

supcom looked good on the 360 but the game was completely unplayable.. the eco was so friggin complex that it took twice as long to do anything as it should.. supcom 2's console version has been built from the ground up to work on the 360 and actually be playable.. only problem is they nurfed the pc version eco as well since there were to many noobs that couldnt handle the learning curve of supcom..

Supercom was awful. I got it after everyone raved about how awesome it was and I promptly returned to warcraft 3.

This game is a huge piece of shit. After games like supreme commander and sins of a solar empire I don't see how a company would think this game is acceptable. No tatical zoom, you don't harvest resources and you don't base build. There isn't strategy to the game at all. The super zoomed in view is the same old shit. Seriously games should not be made like this anymore.

EA wants to turn this into a Dawn of War II clone. I love classic C&C, but I also have a blast with DoW II, so I'm going to give this a try. After the past decade+, I finally want to see what the whole deal with Kane is...

we can officially say the C&C series is now dead.. didnt think it was possible after the pos they called c&c3 but some how they made it possible.. this is by far one of the worst RTS (if thats what you really want to call it) games ive ever played.. i didnt think it was possible to make a camera view worse then RA3 and they some how found a way to do it with C&C4..

Supercom was awful. I got it after everyone raved about how awesome it was and I promptly returned to warcraft 3.

its ok z3r0.. we understand you dont have the IQ to figure out a complex yet very basic eco system in a game thats far superior to any RTS game released since RA2 and total annihilation..

we can officially say the C&C series is now dead.. didnt think it was possible after the pos they called c&c3 but some how they made it possible.. this is by far one of the worst RTS (if thats what you really want to call it) games ive ever played.. i didnt think it was possible to make a camera view worse then RA3 and they some how found a way to do it with C&C4..

its ok z3r0.. we understand you dont have the IQ to figure out a complex yet very basic eco system in a game thats far superior to any RTS game released since RA2 and total annihilation..

It's all a matter of preference. I prefer RA3 over RA2 and also prefer Total Annihilation over SupCom.

if RA3 wasnt so cartoony id prefer it over RA2 as well since RA2 doesnt support 1920x1200 lol.. and i prefer TA over supcom as well since its the original and were it all started.. but again doesnt support 1920x1200 so i dont play it anymore..

but the fact is they removed the whole warfare aspect in RA3 compared to RA2.. they took away the ability to do massive battles since the maps are so small and the units are so large that you cant fit that many of them on the screen.. this is the same problem with C&C3 and C&C4.. i prefer large battles 300+ units duking it out with each vs 10-15 units fighting.. no excitement.. also benefits turtling.. because theres no way you can create enough units to take out some ones defense.. then if you tack on the fact that supcom's graphics are above and beyond better then C&C3 and a hell of a lot better then C&C4..

to bad theres an NDA otherwise id show you just how bad the graphics are in the game as well.. lets just say its like playing back in the late 90's.. if you havent seen/played it already..

sirmonkey, why are you comparing Supreme Commander to C&C games? They're completely different.

Played it once and decided this was absolute garbage.

Where is the f'ing tiberium. Its central to the story, its the resource everyone is fighting for, and its pretty much a non-issue in Cnc4. No bases, no harvesting, if a unit dies, no penalty, just wait the 5 seconds to build a new one.

ZZZZZZZZZZ

sigh, CnC 3 wasnt that bad either.

this game is the retarded stepchild of DoWII.
I never thought I would see a worse excuse for a RTS game as DoWII, until this game came out.

Played it once and decided this was absolute garbage.

Where is the f'ing tiberium. Its central to the story, its the resource everyone is fighting for, and its pretty much a non-issue in Cnc4. No bases, no harvesting, if a unit dies, no penalty, just wait the 5 seconds to build a new one.

ZZZZZZZZZZ

sigh, CnC 3 wasnt that bad either.

its in a little circle thing and it pops up every 45 seconds i believe(there are 4-6 spots on each map that gives a chunk of tiberium).. then you have to take it back to the capture point i believe.. didnt play it long enough to bother figuring out what i was suppose to do with it..

dont forget you can also tell your MCV to build units then pack it up and move it where ever you want.. unpack it and it will spit out all those units that were being constructed while you were moving the MCV.. aka mobile hidden army.. aka stupid as hell..

THe C&C / RA universe died after Kane's Wrath / Red Alert 3... worst RTS games I ever played, with computer as intelligent as any MMO forum troll :) I'll play C&C4 for one reason... I want to see how the story ends and what happens to Kane.... will propably rent it on console, finish it in a day, and give it back

If EA wants to make good console RTS they should realy play Halo Wars, it's still below PC level of RTS gaming, but light years ahead from last C&C games

And I hate how the good franchise is taken from RTS into tactical game. I don't like DoW 2, because it's much worse IMO then Dark Crusade... and if Relic / THQ have failed, how could EA succeed

Back