Commodore returns as a 5.5-inch, nostalgia-powered smartphone

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
Was skimming for phone news this morning and happened across this.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/14/commodore-phone/

commodore.jpg

Putting its super-obvious nostalgia-grab aside, the Commodore PET (yes, named after that computer) actually sounds like a pretty decent midrange phone--complete with a 1.7GHz octa-core Mediatek processor, a 13-megapixel rear facing camera with a dedicated shutter button and a hefty, 3000 mAh battery. Nothing too special, but there are a few features baked in for fans of the brand, namely a pair of customized emulators for the Commodore 64 and Amiga games.

I wonder if I can add USB ports to my Amiga 3000T so I can connect that phone to it?

Bite your tongue, junior! Papaw want!! :D:D

I wasn't even alive the year the PET was released. But I was playing on the family VCS before I was four. PET and other "real" computers were just too damned expensive in the 70s.

What I meant by my comment was: you can get C64 and Amiga emulators for any platform, so really this is just a label.

And you'll notice they don't include an emulator for the PET, because nobody has any cherished memory of PETSCII :D

Last edited:
Why not just paint Commodore 64 on the back of your existing phone. It will be just as authentic!

I think it's clever differentiation. Commodore Amiga along with Apple IIgs were my favorites back in the days and having used emulators on phones I know some are a bitch to get up and running like Basilisk II and to a lesser extent Uae4all2. If they can make it work out-of-box it'll be interesting to the nostalgic fans.

Back