Communication between many networks - routers?

TopGun

Gawd
Hey guys,
I've got a project I'm working on for a class that I could use some help with.
I'm not asking for you guys to do it for me, I've just got one question on how to go about doing this.

I'm planning a "theoretical" network for a building and I have 71 subnets as per the requirments of the project (different subnet for each room) and I'm trying to figure out how I would have them communicate between each other. I've used and setup cisco routers and understand eigrp and rip but my question is, would it be realistic and is it done like this: Having a router for each of the subnets? It seems unrealistic to have 71 routers for one building. Is there a way to do this with one router with a ton of ports or maybe vlans?

-Thanks for the help in advance

There really isn't any "wrong" way to do this based on the fact there is no other requirement other than to route between 71 subnets. In order to communicate between hosts on different networks you need a router obviously. The number and type is a function of what you're trying to do with the network and what your business requirements are.

You don't need 71 routers, in theory you could have a single multilayer switch route between all the networks. In practice you would want a tiered design (keep it simple like the old-fashioned core, distribution, and access layer model) to leverage technologies like route summarization to keep your core routing table small and manageable.

This is only one building?

In that case then I would use one layer 3 switch with layer 2 switches for each room. Plan a VLAN for each of the rooms, configure VTP, make all of the layer 2 switches clients and you're done.

If you had to connect multiple buildings then you could employ a router above the layer 3 switch.

Don't daisy chain access switches. If the building is too big for standard CAT5 lengths then you can employ fiber for the trunks (preferred anyway) or use strategically placed distribution switches.

Just make sure you do what matt said and use the core/distro/access model.

Back