Community - Welcome New / Old Members

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
Myself and digital_exhaust has stated a community outreach program.

Over the next week, we are attempting to contact and bring in [H] members that are active in folding, but do not post here or are very quiet ...

I would like to welcome those members who have been contacted already and welcome you to the DC Forum ....

We need to communitys assistance in helping and supporting these members who are coming back to the DC area for the first time or first visit in a long time.

EvilAlchemist ............................ Digital_Exhaust

Thumb up for the initiative :)

We are obviously always ready to help anyone no matter what. Remember the answer is always "D" :)

Great Idea!

What ever we can do to help, let us know!

You definitely miss out on some fun in the forums, its great to see the joking and friendly competition going on! Just amazes me how big or small we all are in it for the cure! Points really just end up being a way to have fun amongst ourselves!

I think it would be great if they held a contest on who turns in the last WU resulting in curing cancer or one of the other illnesses. Might bring the whole F@H into the spotlight rampign up support!

Yeah, I agree with Sunin, it'd be a great idea if we could determine who turned in the last WU that resulted in the cure for any freakin,' stinkin' disease and reward them. (maybe like a zillion $'s for the cure for cancer :p ) There are only a few problemos with that idea, there are many, many people folding throughout the world and many, many teams and thank God, I don't think this is some commercial enterprise always lookin' at the bottom line. :rolleyes:

As much as anyone would like to be the one responsible for curing any freakin' disease like cancer, I don't think the records that Stanford keeps are individual enough to tell just what and who's WU is doing what, if they did it would enable them to pick out a certain WU and a certain individual that was the one that found the cure.

I've always looked at F@H as kinda' of a "team effort". Starting, naturally, with your home team and then expanding to the other teams and the whole world. I don't really give a f*uck who cures some disease like cancer, just as long as it's cured. (had the sh*t kicked out of it)

I may be totally wrong about the above post, please, oh pretty please, feel free to correct any and all misconceptions I may have. :confused:

Very true it is a team effort. Just would be nice to make more people aware of F@H. I'm amazed how few people know about it! I gladly inform them :p

You are correct, nobody will turn up a cure with a specific WU. The goal of F@H is to understand how proteins fold and it's not applied sciences, only theorical. This mean that Stanford turn up papers based on the results of F@H then the pharmaceutical companies create drugs based on those papers.

Think of this as a collective effort toward better understanding of the proteins folding and in the end, be able to create better drugs, which is our prime goal. This is not like Seti@Home or distributed.net where a single unit might be tied to a reward.

I feel like the Stanford Folding project is much more worthwhile than SETI or DC, simply because we're looking for specific solutions to specific problems that affect mankind. That's what its all about to me...

Oh, and welcome to all the new and future members of Team #33 - The [H]orde! I think Evil and D_E had a great idea in starting this thread, and I personally look forward to processing many more WU's with all of you guys! :cool:

Can anyone help me about a result.. I remember someone saying that they created a new detection test for a disease which is a direct result of F@H so anyone know what I'm talking about ??

I'm trying to provide that for the skeptical crowd in the Intel forum (someone bumped aldamon's thread back so I posted my argumentation then someone asked what is the real thing resulting from folding. I know there is one but I'm having a blank right now).

Just because I rarely post doesn't mean I'm not around. I'm a lurker by nature. I may have 300 posts total through every board I'm a member of, around ~30ish, over the 15 years I've been online. Doesn't mean I'm not around though. Come to think of it, I'm probably more active here then anywhere else.

[H]ugh_Freak;1032308402 said:
Just because I rarely post doesn't mean I'm not around. I'm a lurker by nature. I may have 300 posts total through every board I'm a member of, around ~30ish, over the 15 years I've been online. Doesn't mean I'm not around though. Come to think of it, I'm probably more active here then anywhere else.

You're gonna have to come out of the shadows more often [H]ugh. Sunin lurks back there in those shadows as well, and I'd hate for him to find you...:D

Can anyone help me about a result.. I remember someone saying that they created a new detection test for a disease which is a direct result of F@H so anyone know what I'm talking about ??

I'm trying to provide that for the skeptical crowd in the Intel forum (someone bumped aldamon's thread back so I posted my argumentation then someone asked what is the real thing resulting from folding. I know there is one but I'm having a blank right now).

It is a new detection test for prostate cancer. A forum search turns up that it was Bill Clo who had mentioned it a couple times before. Still can't find any definitive link to folding in writing though.

[H]ugh_Freak;1032308402 said:

Hey [H]ugh, you gots to give people like me a break, please post more often, I'm wearin' out my keyboard and I'm typing challenged, I only use one finger at a time :D

Tell them to go Here. Whether or not they understand any of it is another matter.

Did that already... They wanted the result coming from those papers. It's about a new prostate cancer test using a protein (mentionned by Bill Clo and BillR indeed but without any link to prove the fact unfortunately).

Hey Xilikon let them look at these URL's :D

Scientists at Stanford develop new color-coded test for protein folding involving Postate cancer:
http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology...w-color-coded-test-for-protein-folding-177-1/

most powerful distributed computing network in the world:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/01/folding_home_in_guinness_book_of_records/1

September 2007 F@H, It has good examples of the importance of the client Folding At Home
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2007/09/index.html

Myself and digital_exhaust has stated a community outready program.

Over the next week, we are attempting to contact and bring in [H] members that are active in folding, but do not post here or are very quiet ...

I would like to welcome those members who have been contacted already and welcome you to the DC Forum ....

We need to communitys assistance in helping and supporting these members who are coming back to the DC area for the first time or first visit in a long time.

EvilAlchemist ............................ Digital_Exhaust

Heh, I'm not sure why you would think I'm "quiet" considering I'm a Gawd and I'll be moving up the titles shortly. :) Anywho, good luck with bringing the peeps back!

I feel like the Stanford Folding project is much more worthwhile than SETI or DC, simply because we're looking for specific solutions to specific problems that affect mankind. That's what its all about to me...]

Don't even get me started on SETI...

I'm also a bit more of a lurker here. I'm never going to stop turning in the work units though.

Heh, I'm not sure why you would think I'm "quiet" considering I'm a Gawd and I'll be moving up the titles shortly. :) Anywho, good luck with bringing the peeps back!

They mean quiet in the DC section. But I've been anything but quiet lately and I got the PM too.

I'm a limp gawd but I don't post too often.

I don't plan on stopping the folding action anytime soon. I've already cooked one PS3 and I working on my next one. :D Although I am too lazy to run the SMP client on my Q6600 Vista box. :(

Yeah yeah, I'm here....Quit poking me already :D Expecting some company over for dinner this evening, but I'll check back in here later or in the morning. I should go check my stats and see how long ago I started folding here "in secret".

Yeah yeah, I'm here....Quit poking me already :D Expecting some company over for dinner this evening, but I'll check back in here later or in the morning. I should go check my stats and see how long ago I started folding here "in secret".

Uzor, does this mean your coming out of the closet? :D

Hey everyone, here and semi-active on the forums but not so much over on this neck of the woods :D. I'm a small timer, but my 24/7 folding box just died. Replacing it with an am2 x2 4000+ that will get a mild overclock up to say 2.5ghz. I know the smp client is great for four cores, and it'll definetly be running on my q6600 rig once that is set, but what is the best for a dual core setup nowadays? The am2 is basically a file server so I don't mind using up all the cpu all the time. I also have a dual at work I run the regular client on taking up one core. Anyway back to my am2 question - lemme know what client would be best - it will be running 64 bit windows server 2008.

Hey everyone, here and semi-active on the forums but not so much over on this neck of the woods :D. I'm a small timer, but my 24/7 folding box just died. Replacing it with an am2 x2 4000+ that will get a mild overclock up to say 2.5ghz. I know the smp client is great for four cores, and it'll definetly be running on my q6600 rig once that is set, but what is the best for a dual core setup nowadays? The am2 is basically a file server so I don't mind using up all the cpu all the time. I also have a dual at work I run the regular client on taking up one core. Anyway back to my am2 question - lemme know what client would be best - it will be running 64 bit windows server 2008.

You can get the SMP to work. I'd bet ~700 ppd. I have an X3800 that is OC-ed that gets 650 ppd on the SMP.

My 4400+ boxen is putting out around 800~900ppd at stock with 2g memory.. I would give the SMP client a shot and see what it does. It will out produce the standard client no problem...

And pull up a chair and stay for a while, it's nice to have you here!!

Wow, a lot of lurkers coming out of the woodworks! I haven't seen many of you post here recently. Glad to see there's a quite a few of you around. :)

We need a greeting post from lelliott731, who has been an awesome contributer.

Great thread, guys. :cool:

I guess I'm a lurker as well. Been reading and trying to stay up to date for several years and it's an addiction. I recently acquired a dual processor AMD Server E325 and have it down in the garage and thought that I'd contribute by running Folding@home with my favorite web site. So it's doing it thing 24/7 and it's nice to have it down there when I'm working on my cars or bikes and need access to the internet. So it's good for all of us. ;)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Will continue to watch and read and stay posted on what's new and interesting.

Thanks for the PM. Nice to be noticed ... :D

Ron

Posting due to the PM - I'm here reading most everyday I just don't really post much - figure if I have something important to say I've always got the option ;)

I've got a few machines running the client along with my ps3 sadly most are older but they still seem to do the job and every little bit helps.

I have an X2 4000+ Brisbane running 3Ghz. It puts out 1250-1368PPD on the Linux SMP client. The reason for the differences is because it depends on the work units it gets. Some crunch faster and end up being more points than others. It was a spur of the moment purchase when I was looking for some RAM and the deals I managed to get for the system were too good to pass up.

Oh sure, make me come out of lurking to post. The nerve some of you guys have, geez...;)
Anyway, just me and my 2 boxen quietly chugging along for the cause. I guess you could call me the silent silent partner. :D

Wait what!?! There was beer and I missed it? Damn...

Back