Comp - crazy acer laptop deal at futureshop - $999 Asprie 5630 w/ C2D & free 250GB HD

i posted this on redflagdeals.com, and thought i would share it with all the [H] members. great deal for all my fellow Canadians, and at future shop of all places.

edit (fixed link) -> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...B2E8F8549412BF

1299 - 300 = 999$ and includes a free 250gb external drive

Aspire 5630-6018

just missing on board firewire, but for the price, i cannot complain!
just bought one. for a core2 with 2gb, gf7300,etc AND an external drive, steal and 3/4

WebID: 10084051
Mfr. Part Number: LX.AY30X.075
Processor Type Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5200
Screen Size 15.4"
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. To 4GB)
Hard Drive 160GB 5400RPM
Optical Drives 8X DVD SuperMulti Double Layer
Graphics: Geforce Go 7300 w/ 128mb dedicated ram.
Average Battery Life Dependant On Usage [8 cell]
Product Weight 2.77 kg
Audio Type Intel High Definition Audio Support
Battery Type Lithium-Ion
Cache 2MB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included In Box Info Not Available
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g WLAN, WPAN
Other Software See The Features Section
PC Card Slots 1 Type II
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Processor Speed 1.6GHz
Product Dimensions 35.8(W) x 3.6(H) x 26.5(D) cm
Removable Storage None
Screen Type TFT LCD
Speakers Acer
System Bus 533MHz
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour

note: the FS extended warranty is 320$ - rip off and 3/4. I offered them 200$ for it and they would not do it. just registered my laptop - acer will send you an email where you can buy an ext warranty for $99+. I did, well worth it.

sorry about the link. the dixie and dundas store here in mississauga had a bunch.

bought one yesturday, as did 3 of my buddies

I've got on of those babies too :D .... Over $720 savings compared to a similarly equipped Dell Inspiron 6400... The laptop looks and works good so far, trying to explore VISTA but it looks like I will install and use XP Pro as some of the features I am accustomed to use and want to continue to use are not available in Vista Home Premium..

One question here... if I want to switch back to VISTA after installing XP Pro (assuming I will erase the pre-installed version) do I use the blue Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD for the re-installation? and if so, do I have to/will I be able to re-activate VISTA. I can of course create an image backup of the laptop before erasing VISTA but I am curious if Acer provided us with the ability to re-install the OS.

make backup dvds and reload xp. not sure about the included disks.

if you want to go back to vista, you need to use the restore disks, OR install vista home prem from a dvd with an Acer OEM key (under your laptop) and get the Acer digital OEM cerificate for activation. (M$ SLP 2.0 activation). That is what I would do to avoid all the acer preloaded bloatware. They put norton 2007 trial, and a bunch of other junk on there. I hate that stuff. only useful thing is acers power management software. (on their website for xp and vista)

I would post a link, but the acer slp 2.0 oem cert for you, but it can be used for piracy by activating vista versions you did not purchase. aka. install vista ultimate with an acer ultimate key and activate it - so I will not to avoid problems. (this is how people have been by-passing vista activation if your wondering). I am sure that you can google it and find it if you ever need to reload vista. this will work for x32 and x64 versions of vista you install using your acer oem key.

I personally went to xp to avoid problems; vista does not like my hp laserjet,etc Had vista ultimate x64 on my main rig for a while and went back to xp x32 due to driver bullshit. 1st thing I did when i got this laptop was create restore dvds and then format and install xp.

google -" acer aspire 5630 drivers - go to the euro site and download the xp drivers. use the logitech camera drivers for the webcam, not the bison ones.

I used the latest ngo nvidia drivers - overclocked my 7300go using coolbits 2.0 (included) - makes c&c 3 playable at max settings minus AA. videocard runs cool, even overclocked. working on overclocking the cpu right now with setfsb and some other apps.

Damn.... I wish i was looking for a new lappy...

well i am, but mine still works, thus i can't justify getting a new one
nice find though!

Thanks for all the tips. I have been doing some reading/investigating since my post and found many interesting things like slipstreaming XP installation CD with SP2 (Base XP installation didn't lke the new PCIExpress on my Aspire), how to install XP and Vista in a dual boot config, OEM Bios Emulation for Installing other Vista versions, and even how to install an Upgrade version of Vista as full. Seems like people were at work hard ;)...

So pretty much all my questions were answered and I am currently installing a dual boot system with XP and Vista and will start dealing with compatibility issues next.

Back