Comp too slow?

MOZZ

Limp Gawd
Hi guys
I just put my old stuff together for a htpc
and i tested it out by trying to play a bluray 1080p movie from the HD.

It plays okay for a mintue but then the audio gets out of sync and it starts to skip and pause a bit.

it will play 720p blu ray from the hd just fine. but the higher resloution stuff just skips.

My specs are
Biostar 6100 socket 939
AMD X2 4200
2gb ram
8600gt Video
SB Audigy se
640gb hd

I do have a spare e8400 cpu that i never used. Would it be worth it to just a cheap matx 775 board and just throw the stuff on that? Any suggestions
thanks

Bluray is never (to my knowledge) encoded at 720p, so are these rips?

If so and you didnt do the encodes, then i would probably just get a cheap MATX board or something to play them on the e8400, as you cant be sure they will be accelerated by any GPU due to the unknown options used when encoding .

If its actually a BluRay disc your trying to play, or you are doing the encodes yourself, then i would just get the cheapest GPU with hardware acceleration and make sure any rips you do are DXVA accelerated.

Also what codecs are you using for playback, if your have installed FFDSHOW then make sure you have the latest build, as there increasing in efficiency all the time. You could also give CoreAVC a shot, as its still the most efficient software codec available and might just be enough to get your videos playing smoothly. Also regardless of what you have installed, double check to see what codec is being used to playback the video......in windows media player, click file->properties whilst playing the video, the audio/video codec will be listed, if you are using another app, share the name :)

well not sure i downloaded 2 rips to see how they would work, i ordered a lg blu ray player yesterday.

on the above computer it has problems but my regualr computer plays them just fine.

i used that CCCP codec pack that someone pointed me to. I know it has FDD show and what not since they pop up when i play the stuff. I didnt change any settings on either pc.

For some reason i read your card as 6800 and not 8600 as you wrote, my bad :(.

Anyways all Bluray discs should play without any issues on that setup, so no need for an upgrade.

Also for the rips you get if you use the cyberlink decoder or the one in Media player classic home theater, they will offload the video processing to the GPU and it will also be stutter free. The exception to this is rips that were created with encoding options that are not supported by the GPU, for this you will have to rely on cpu alone. A lot of older HDrips will have this problem, however all the new ones are almost always encoded to support DXVA/GPU accleration.

Ive been using media player classic, the os on that box is vista ultimate 64bit. *was the only extra license i have*
i might try cyberlink power dvd later on.

Ive been using media player classic

Media Player classic or Media Player Classic Homecinema?

With homecinema version you should get DXVA acceleration (you may have to turn it on in the options), with it on, your CPU usage should drop dramatically.

media player classic

where is the home cinema? add on or 3rd party?

where is the home cinema?

Its available here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

The original author of media player classic, stopped working on it, so a new bunch of developers decided to take the code and continue it, hence the slight name change. Its almost exactly the same as MPC just with added options and more importantly DXVA accleration for GPU's that support it.

humm well i installed it but it wouldnt play anything acutally

it would just start but nothing if i fwd the movie i got pictue for a few seconds but that was it.

Did you read the section on DXVA here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html which tells you what options you must select to get DXVA acceleration?

Also when you playback the video, click on the Play->Filters->MPC Video Decoder and check to see if DXVA accleration is ON and being used. If DXVA acceleration is being used, then its very likely that the video you downloaded has been encoded with a set of options which stop GPU acceleration from being used, in which case you will have to disable DXVA and rely on the CPU to watch the video.

Back