comp upgrade hit a snag

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I am using some of my old parts to upgrade my mom's computer. her old comp was a 900 MHz AMD Athlon Duron, 512 MB Kingston ValueRam, WinFast nVidia MX2 and a 120 GB Maxtor HDD 7200 rpm 8 MB buffer. The HDD has WinXP w/ SP2 on it but the computer ran fairly slow, thus I wanted to upgrade it. I just upgraded my comp and therefore, used my old parts to upgrade my mom's computer. Her new parts are an AMD Athlon XP 2700 and 1 GB (2x512) PC3200 Kingston ValueRam. The video card and HDD are the same but the HDD is only a little over a year old. Everything is hooked up right and seems to be running well except I get a blue screen when the comp tries to run Windows. The comp starts up fine until it goes to load Windows, then I get a blue screen, and it happens so fast, I can't read it so I have no idea what is causing Windows to not load. This seems to be a Windows problem (and this thread will also be in the OS forum) but I am posting this here just to make sure there is no hardware problem. Anyone think there is a problem with the HDD or something?

I swaped the mobo, processor and ram. I am still using the same harddrive which has Windows already on it. Do I need to reinstall Windows? Will it not work even though it's the same hdd?

General Crespin said:
Windows doesn't like it very much when you have major hardware changes.
yup, looks like reformatting is your only option. before you installed the new hardware you could've used the sysprep method, but its too late now.

yeah, i saw the sysprep thing too late...after i changed out all the hardware :rolleyes: but i am gonna take out the hdd and make it a slave in another comp and copy any important files from it then put it back and reformat/reinstall.

it's all good now. i just took out her hdd and made it a slave in my desktop and copied all the files from it and then put it back and did a fresh install. everything works and runs smoothly. thanks again for the help.

haha i remember when i didnt know that you cant switch a MOBO, and i had built my mom a computer and she had DDR and i still had that old ram, what was it SDR or something...anyways to make a long story short i tried to steal her processor, motherboard, and ram over night, but in the process i lost all of my files on my computer, but luckily only the sound didnt work on her computer, so she didnt find out until my friend ratted me out...

i dont usually steal from mom dukes, but she didnt realize that i needed some better FPS in de_dust

hahaha, parents will never understand that need. :p although all my mom needs now is a good video card and she could play some cs!

Back