Comp wont turn on =(

swflbatth

Weaksauce
Woke up this morning and went to turn on my computer and had absolutely no response when I hit the power button. It was running fine last night. The light on the motherboard is on, and I have rechecked and d/c + reconnected all of the power cords. I even unplugged the power switch and replugged to see if the connection was bad. So I have no clue what the problem could be. There wasnt a storm last night, and my computer was off all last night. I can't see any problems except the computer just isnt even trying to respond to the power button; no sounds at all except the click of the button. Anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be?

rofl. Not being funny... is it on a powerstrip? Check that, maybe try a different PSU.

Ye I already tried a different powerstrip. I have not yet tried a different PSU I think I would rather multimeter mine though as opposed to taking apart another comp to get one.

iSkylla said:
Reset the CMOS.

I tried that, but that didnt work and I dont think its related to the problem. Here is the problem I have: when I click the power button its like clicking it on an empty case. There is absolutely no response from anything, not even an attempt.

I have a feeling your power button may have shorted out. Try turning the computer on using the jumper on the motherboard.

Ye there is a power button on the motherboard, but pushing it didnt do anything.

Make sure that all your power connectors are snug. If that doens't make it work, I guess re-seat the CPU.

This looks exactly like the thread I made a few days ago. If you press the power button and nothing happens ie. No fan spinning, No error messages, Just the cold dead computer. It is more than likely your MOBO being fried by a short ciruct from dust er whatever. Take out your MOBO and look at the back side of it, if it looks fried, then its dead. Otherwise it could be your Power Supply but more than likely your MOBO.

Thats wierd, he said that he was on it the night before, and everything was fine, and I think someone would notice the smell of burning PCB. I know that smell is VERY distinct.

Are you sure that there wasnt any movement inside your case when you initlally tried to start it up. Because if anything, when you tried to start it up this morning thats when it would have fried.

I had the exact same thing happen with my IC7MaxIII.
I had to send it in for a RMA then everything was fine..... not sure what died on the MB, but was definatly the MB (I checked the Powersupply, strip etc... before RMA'ing the MB).

Good Luck

D.

ok, so your motherboards light is on?
then your PSU might not be dead.
Pull the battery on your mobo and try boot it.
if that doesn't work, pull your cards except for a stick of ram(and leave the cpu in of course) and try boot it from there. I have worked on some pcs in the past that had no response because of a bad sound card and also some from a highly chip-creeped modem.
Look at all your offsets and see if there isn't a short on the board somewhere.

if that still doesn't work, pull the plug of your power button out of its headers, and take a screwdriver and short those two pins out. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE WRONG HEADERS YOU MIGHT FRY YOUR MOBO.

if that still does work then to check if its a trace through your headers, complete the power circuit on your mobo by shorting the two power on pins on your P4 power connector with a paper clip (slide the ends of the paperclip down the back of the connector while its on the mobo and touch the contacts to complete the power on circuit. its pins 14&15 which short it on:
psconnshort.gif

if you look hard enough you can just barely see the numbers on the connector.

If its not working, then I would then look to seeing that your board is fried or you have a bad/unstable/low power/weakend PSU.

hope it all works out, hope for the best and expect the worst.

from my point of view - look like your power supply is working fine, i think it could be your motherboard is dead for life - it doesnt matter if can see the green light on your motherboard. the best thing is to get a new motherboard!!

I think you should get a "Belkin 8-Socket SurgeMaster" to prevent this problem again!!

One more thing to check: Are you running wires (or have excessive dust) behind the mobo? Maybe something there is shorting the system.

Back