Compact, portable, closed headphones?

fugu

[H]F Junkie
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of portable (something small that folds flat) headphones for under ~$150 to use at home and on airplanes. No IEMs.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6s, and a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-IIs, but I want a closed pair that's more portable than the Sonys. Comfort and isolation are priorities.

I'm currently considering the Sennheiser PX 200-II, Beyerdynamic DTX 501 p, and the AKG K451. Anyone have experience with any of these, or have other recommendations?

Last edited:
I had the PX-200 and did not like them. I disliked them so much that I gave them to my brother. He disliked them so much that he gave them to some girl to use. She disliked them so much that she destroyed them completely and utterly, and then he got money for them from her, so in the end everyone was happy.

Why no IEMs if you're looking for something that will be good on airplanes?

Perfect timing!
2 of the most popular portables on head-fi are on crazy sales atm.

Beyerdynamic DT1350 for $209:
http://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/closeout-beyerdynamic-dt1350/

Sennheiser HD25-SP ii for $126: (edit, i thought these were the HD25-1 II's)... no longer a deal then)
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

I'm currently using the DT1350, fantastic little phones, and tiny.

Also take a look at:
Audio Technica ES7/ESW9
AKG K618DJ / K67 (the K67 are the Tiesto models that will be released in December)
Klipsch Image One - II

Good luck!

Last edited:
The Klipsch Image One - IIs are awesome, check those out if you get a chance.

I find the Image One's to be pretty bass bloated... The DTX 501p and the AKG's are both good values, there's a version/rebrand of the DTX by Soundmagic that's usually cheaper on Amazon (P30 I think?), worth checking out. They probably clamp less than the AKG without sacrificing a lot of isolation so you might find them more comfortable... AKG K81DJ / K581 are worth a look too. If you wanna go budget, the MEElectronic HT-21 are pretty decent but not very isolating.

The DT1350 fold flat but aren't collapsible like any of those, they're still pretty portable tho. The HD25-1 II are some of the most isolating on ears out there but they're a little larger and not flat folding. Built like tanks tho (you'll see them on sportscasters on TV all the time) and I think they have an L plug whereas the Beyers are straight. The SP are something else entirely and not worth the usual price. V-moda's M-80 are worth a look too if you're looking at those two; not as much treble emphasis but they're pretty sweet sounding IMO, and slightly smaller, removable cables with or w/o mic, come with a case, etc. Very solidly built too, and the warranty's quite nice. The whole package kind of sold me on them.

The M-80 are not quite as isolating but I can't hear a thing once the music's on, those ports on the side might let more airplane engine noise in than the other two tho... Possibly not, it's really more of an issue with wind. All three of those would be a cut above the DTX 50p / Soundmagic P30, AKG K451 or K81DJ but they're also larger and not collapsible, so if the latter's what you want then I think you've got some solid choices there already.

Edit: Even the worst IEM will isolate more than the hard clamping HD25-1 II tho... Just keep that in mind. I'm not a big fan of active noise canceling either but if you do air travel often enough it might be worth it.

Last edited:
Back