Company Building 220+ MPG Supercar

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine a supercar that gets 220+ mpg, can go 180 miles between charges and has “wild” horsepower. A company called Hybrid Technologies thinks its possible and, to be quite honest, the concept looks pretty snazzy too.

Coming from a guy that absolutely loves to drive his 5 miles per gallon, 500hp / 550tq 502ci muscle car every chance he gets….

…these alt-fuel / electric cars like this and the Tesla are pretty damn neat.

Looks quite promising. If they can deliver on their promise - and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase - then I might be tempted to get one over a regular car.

It will cost an arm and a leg. This won't be for the regular masses and it will be a limited production run. These types of builds are small in number and expensive. Not to mention they will probably take pre-orders to line their pockets with immediate spending money and not be able to deliver on their promise. Ask Moller how he is doing on his skycar then ask the people on his waiting list who all paid probably close a million apiece and get back to me.

Looks quite promising. If they can deliver on their promise - and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase - then I might be tempted to get one over a regular car.

It'll cost an arm and a leg. That's not going to change for a long while yet.

hehe haulin ass in an all electric supercar would be pretty sweet. The silence (well aside from the tires moving over the asphalt) from lack of engine noise must be really cool.

I'm calling bullshit. I'm tired of all these companies saying they'll build this great electric, high mpg car and all it ends up to be is an expensive shitbox.

Fucking build it already or shut the fuck up.

that looks like the carrera GT... very much so. I wonder if they got rights for it like tesla had lotus design their body

If you charge the [big] battery beforehand, then it's not hard to have a small gas engine keep it going at that so-called MPG for some specific distance. The speed would also have to be very limited for that run, because of the exponential rise in resistance.

So... a supercar, yes. A green car, yes. Mediocre range, yes. But not at the same time.

I dare them to try and sell that car. It would be outlawed in before its released and the company would magically vanish.

ISo... a supercar, yes. A green car, yes. Mediocre range, yes. But not at the same time.

exactly, you can only chose 2 of the 3 options at once.

my old vette gets about 10-12mpg if i baby it, or if im running at 90-100mph, itll suck through almost 1/4 of a tank in less then 20 miles.

my old vette gets about 10-12mpg if i baby it, or if I'm running at 90-100mph, it'll suck through almost 1/4 of a tank in less then 20 miles.

20 miles, Well It's a vette, enjoy It, When You feel You can while You can. :D

my old vette gets about 10-12mpg if i baby it, or if im running at 90-100mph, itll suck through almost 1/4 of a tank in less then 20 miles.

If your going to get that low gas mileage I would go a little faster. I can take my Dodge Neon R/T up to 130 and have gone pretty long stretches at 100+ and the lowest I have gotten gas wise is 24 mpg. This summer has been great 80-90 mph average and 33 mpg.

its all about gearing. ive got 3.36s in the rear and a wide ratio muncie M20 4 speed. in 4th gear im turning ~2700rpms at 70mph. i redline at 5300 i think. needless to say, ill blow my motor at 140ish and anything over 100mph and the motor is screaming.

If your going to get that low gas mileage I would go a little faster. I can take my Dodge Neon R/T up to 130 and have gone pretty long stretches at 100+ and the lowest I have gotten gas wise is 24 mpg. This summer has been great 80-90 mph average and 33 mpg.

Did you really just compare gas mileage of a vette to a neon? :confused:

huh... cant seem to edit my posts anymore.

anyways, old vettes arent "fast" by any means, what with their top end being 130-150, but theyre quick as all hell. my little base motor 350ci/300hp/380tq will shred tires in 1st-3rd and chirp it in 4th.

Imagine a supercar that gets 220+ mpg, can go 180 miles between charges and has “wild” horsepower. A company called Hybrid Technologies thinks its possible and, to be quite honest, the concept looks pretty snazzy too.

I hope Chrysler doesent hear about this, because that looks like an exact copy of the ME-412 concept car.

But i agree with the second post.

Did you really just compare gas mileage of a vette to a neon? :confused:

Nah I was more making a point with speed. Though acceleration is fun at all, I found my adrenaline is all in maintaining a high speeds for considerable distances. With that in mind it seems wasteful to only go as fast as he was and go through gas that fast when I can do that in my neon and get 2-2.5x more MPG. Even in an acceleration front, the old SRT-4 would be comparable in acceleration and still get almost twice the MPG.

Not saying the Vette isn't the better car (I would be crazy to say otherwise), I am just saying there isn't much use in them if they aren't unleashed on the roads. But then again I have no reason to talk since I could be the most ticketed person in the last 7 years in Michigan.

I'm calling bullshit. I'm tired of all these companies saying they'll build this great electric, high mpg car and all it ends up to be is an expensive shitbox.

have you seen the Tesla? it proves everything they said it could do. ;)

have you seen the Tesla? it proves everything they said it could do. ;)

Well if you don't count distance (though they were close) 0-60 time (because of transmission) and failure prone transmission (though this will be changed soon).

But then again I have no reason to talk since I could be the most ticketed person in the last 7 years in Michigan.

might explain why the cops have left me alone for the last 4 years now.

if you really want to talk mileage, theres a whole long list of things that have changed in 40 years. (vettes a 69)

neon curb weight - 2970lbs
vette curb weight - 3400lbs
4 cylinder vs 8
fuel injection vs a garden hose down the carb
6 gears vs 4, and their gearing ratios
differential gearing ratio
turbo vs naturally aspired

the biggest thing limiting my vette though is its 4spd transmission.

If you can afford that car then the price of gas is probably a non-issue.

But then if your George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio instead of driving your Prius (or Ev1) from your personal Jet you can finally drive your Maclaren equivalent while still being a hippie.

qft.

If they do this, I'm all ears, as for now I'm going to call a bluff.

Super car my ass. You ever hear the engine on a supercar, they sound like nothing else. This thing will sound like a golf cart/electric scooter.

But then if your George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio instead of driving your Prius (or Ev1) from your personal Jet you can finally drive your Maclaren equivalent while still being a hippie.

Heh, you said Personal Jet and mentioned Leaf Lickers in the same sentence. :D

might explain why the cops have left me alone for the last 4 years now.

if you really want to talk mileage, theres a whole long list of things that have changed in 40 years. (vettes a 69)

neon curb weight - 2970lbs
vette curb weight - 3400lbs
4 cylinder vs 8
fuel injection vs a garden hose down the carb
6 gears vs 4, and their gearing ratios
differential gearing ratio
turbo vs naturally aspired

the biggest thing limiting my vette though is its 4spd transmission.
Well you didn't mention the year. You get an automatic pass no matter how slow you drive.

Heh, you said Personal Jet and mentioned Leaf Lickers in the same sentence. :D
Its the truth though. But don't worry its the SVU's of the world that caused the dramatic (if it stays like this year potentially dangerous) drop in temperature. You know the one that coincidentally coincided with the complete disappearance of sun spot activity after a decade and a half of increasing activity.

Don't get me wrong I am all for alternate sources for fuel as long as it doesn't increase price or lower performance (I am waiting for a good Hydrogen fuel cell option) but I personally don't subscribe to the CO2 as a pollution philosophy, really it should only increase plant life. And the hypocritical Superstars that act like only changing the vehicle that they drive to Clubs and award shows negates all of the other "damage" that they cause with the rest of their daily activities piss me off to no end.

Sorry about my rant but this 35 MPG stuff they forced on to already troubled big three is really pissing me off. I like my choices and I don't like my choices being forced on me by the minority of whiners. This coming from someone already owning a car EPA rated at 36.

All they need to do is start producing electric powered cars that MSRP for about 13,000-35,000, in various stylings (i.e. coupe, sedan, SUV, minivan, long/shortbed trucks, etc.) and people will sell their first born for one with today's gas prices.

Then a whole slew of aftermarket parts would be made for electric powered stuff that would run off the batteries to imitate the engine/muffler sounds of the old school street beasts and/or the current import tuner crowd. :D

Me I wold kill for a late model black Trans Am with an electric engine that is equivalent to an LT1 or LS6 for 20-30k. I would also leave it silent and become the SR-71 of sports cars, all I would need is a good set of Night vision goggles.

Cough, carburators suck ass. My Vette avg'd 26 MPG on the highway.... a well tuned slightly warmed up 86. Hit around 2200 rpm @ 72 but gas mileage peaked at 80. Tall gears in 4th-overdrive on that 4+3 manual.

But it and all the cars on the road pale in comparison to what technology CAN do with a V8 if anyone put all the pieces together in one unit. 500HP and 50-60 MPG is easily doable.

That 351 Cleveland mentioned is a prime example of how bad carburators are. I'll never touch one again. If I could afford that mint low mileage BOSS429 at the last auction I watched (sold for $480K) I'd rip the 1000CFM dominator off and switch to fuel injection, and drive the piss out of it :eek::rolleyes::p

All the elements exist and have either been used or at least been patented. The most important is to start with an excellent rod ratio.... for simplicity I'll use the small block chevy. A 327 crank with 3.25" stroke in a 400 block with 6.50" rods. This gives a 2:1 rod ratio and has a huge effect on quench and combustion efficiency, and approx 355 cu in displacement. target output is 300HP and 50 MPG.

Next modified rocker arms, coupled to a high lift agressive roller cam, with variable bleed hydraulic lifters so the max lift and duration can very with RPM and be controlled by computer. Ultimately totally computer controlled valves would be preferred but so far it isn't a reality. But the modified rocker arms can be altered in realtime by computer controlled solenoids, so that the "closed" Intake can be forced open just a smidge under computer control. Ditto on the exhausts, to allow a smidge of exhaust to creep back into the combustion chamber at the end of the exhaust stroke (EGR function) when the computer wants it. But most critically, to allow the combustion stroke to be vented out the exhaust under computer control. Why?

To most efficiently implement selective cylinder shutdown, its important to cut down on the parasitic power loss from dragging a piston around on false compression strokes. You want to be able to shut off the fuel injector and ignition to cylinders on the fly. This lets you turn your V8 into a V3 equivalent during highway cruising, and a V2 during rush hour traffic jam idling. With a round robin of shut down designed to be random to prevent any osicillations/vibrations of the reduced cylinder firing driving you nutz and shaking the car apart.

Some may remember the Cadilac 8-6-4 setup from the last gas crisis.... unfortunately the computer power didn't exist at the time (pre-Z80) to impelment this well, so it sucked. And since it sucked the car manufacturers just forgot it ever happened. We are talking a monumental fucking WASTE of gasoline over the last 30 years with the Big3 not implemneting this well and making it "NORMAL". Notice that "suddenly" the Japs have "discovered" this and Honda is advertising it as a feature on thier new pickup/SUV. Suck my dick Honda, Chevy did it 30 years ago.

Anyway, one of the issues was wasted energy compressing the "OFF" cylinder, being able to vent out the exhaust kills most of the loss and also eliminates the need for an AIR pump in the emissions as yoou effectively have one built in.... hey that saves a couple hundred bucks too, like the Big3 aren't into saving pennies. Cough. :eek::rolleyes::p

The usual suspects of fuel injection, now gets us along way to 50 MPG, we combine this with two baby variable turbos and an intercooler, and a very sophisticated computer program.... the current engine computers are very cheap simplistic and dont come near squeezing the max efficiency out of the engine....I think they still use 8088's :cool:

That gets us most of the way there. The final big trick is not off the shelf doable. It is something SAAB came up with years ago. You custom build the block to be in 3 peices, the crank and the two cylinder banks. The banks are each hinged, with the pibot point slightly off from the crank center line. This allows movement of the cylinders with respect to the crank centerline. You only move about 1/32 of an inch total. But this allows you to move the distance from the crank centerline to the combustion chamber roof a smidge. Just enough to give compunter controlled combustion ratio, to range from 7:1 up to 12:1. This combined with the Turbo's gives you super fast response time and great low rpm "off turbo" efficiency, while letting you drop compression and run the boost way up to 20+ lbs.

SAAB was gonna use it on a 4 cylinder, but again an idea before its time. it's time is now.... rpm variable computer controlled compression ratio. When you start the car, drop down to 7:1 for an easy start, etc, etc.

Combine all this with all the well known tricks in the intake and exhaust the racing community has been using for years, and you get an engine that can easily put out 300+ HP and get 50+MPG when sitting in a Camaro or Mustang or whatever.

Apply this shit to a 4 cyl or 6 and we are shooting past 60 MPG, all with POWER when you NEED it but achieving maximum efficiency with the gas when you dont.

This isn't rocket science, this is just thinking about the problems and actually bothering to do ANYTHING to address them. Think about what unbelievable cocksucking pieces of shit the car companies are that they haven't lifted a finger to implement any of the tricks and design elements that are so obvious to VASTLY increase our fleet MPG.

Myself, I'd elect to take all the management of the car companies for the last 30 years, everyone who is still alive, out back and blow thier fucking heads off.... that would be a good start. And maybe incentive to their replacements to WAKE UP and get the job done right this time.

There are massive efficiencies to be found in the internal combustion engine still, maybe $5/gal gas will be an incentive to start working on it.

I am not asking for much...

All I want is a car that looks good, has good acceleration 0-60 in 12secs max. and 60+mpg min, and top speed of 80. Be it powered by electric, lpg, diesel, gasoline, water, moonshine, vegetable oil... whatever.

Anything over 70mph is ridiculous, not that I don't like speeding, but having cops at every corner, and having drivers serve as cash cows defeats the object.
There is nothing close to an autobahn here in the US with the exception of a few states. They day they lift speed limits I will be all for 200mph cars.

There are massive efficiencies to be found in the internal combustion engine still, maybe $5/gal gas will be an incentive to start working on it.

I understand what your getting at and I agree to have cars available with this functionality would be a sweet option, keep in mind that options like this died not because the car companies (unlike the Gas companies) just figured you would buy whatever they sold. Things like this die because of lack of interest in the open market. Gas was cheap and people were fine with buying 5000 lb SUVs with large V8s that got 10-15 MPG. Even as recently as late 90's and early 2000's GM came out with the EV1, people like to think that it died because the oil companies made it so. The Fact was at the time only the craziest mpg whores and environmentalists where interested in it even though its range was large enough for work and back plug-ins and speed was fast enough. Why go to this trouble when you go 1200 miles on $75 a month (20 mpg average). Even at 2.50 gas wasn't that out of range of either inflation or people incomes, its only the last 1.5 years where its maintained $3+ now heading close to $5 that gas prices would control peoples purchasing habits. Wasting Gas was never an issue and only became an issue when the Gas companies decided that they wanted 30 billion a year in profits (apiece) and either are silently or outwardly teaming together to artificially keep prices high.

If you look at the industries profits and gas output I figure they are over charging by almost $2 a gallon, when you add state taxes, it is apparent that fuel costs for them hasn't changed much in almost a decade (~$1) heck if you just overlay that last 5 years growth in profits with the increase in price they match up a perfectly give or take a month. What you don't see is that the barrel of crude "prices" are really just a value applied to them based on output and profits otherwise we would see a higher cost in anything even slightly oil based outside the increase in transportation costs.

I am not asking for much...

All I want is a car that looks good, has good acceleration 0-60 in 12secs max. and 60+mpg min, and top speed of 80. Be it powered by electric, lpg, diesel, gasoline, water, moonshine, vegetable oil... whatever.

Anything over 70mph is ridiculous, not that I don't like speeding, but having cops at every corner, and having drivers serve as cash cows defeats the object.
There is nothing close to an autobahn here in the US with the exception of a few states. They day they lift speed limits I will be all for 200mph cars.

Do what I do fight all tickets, if everyone fought their tickets it would devalue speed traps as a source of income. I figure at $100 a ticket they are probably just about breaking even when you add the cost of fuel, wear on the cruiser, time for the police officer to write the ticket, time the police officer get overtime for coming to the courthouse, the time receptionist writes up and mail my appearance, the shipping costs of the appearance letter, the time the magistrate spends with me, the receptionist taking my payment, and if file for a formal hearing, the time of the prosecutor, and all sorts of minuscule costs like the transferring of the video, pens and paper, the extra lighting they need for people like me the building costs due to needing rooms to handle us, the security needed. The worst part about it is the fact that as committing the lowest of low civil infractions its us that makes the most money for the courthouse where as the real bad guys don't really end up paying anything.

Tip: Fight all tickets the worse thing that can happen to you is they don't make a deal. If they nock a couple miles off the ticket when writing it they can't retro-actively re add it to your ticket just because your fighting it and the ticket is the same cost whether you pay up front or go to court.

I get about 3-4mpg in my Z scooting around on A70 @ 170mph (use 10gal in about 25 minutes)... I would love a Tesla, but they're not exactly a cheap alternative. Especially with Germany starting to phase out nuclear powerplants it's probably a net decrease in gas mileage thanks to production costs of the electricity in the first place.

Jack, perhaps you should present your idea to GM or Ford. With gas prices as insane as they are now, and the import crowd totally reaming their asses on fuel economy even without their hybrids or alternative fuel cars, I'm sure they're willing to listen to anyone with a bright idea to stay in the game, and even take advantage of those who don't have the cash it takes to own a Tesla.

Back