Company of Heroes-A good game?

SouLXIV

Gawd
I got this game for free, but I never installed it. Is it a fun game to play online?

Great game like the others said. Other than Starcraft and Red Alert I was never big on RTS' but this one I really enjoyed. I just beat the American Campaign this weekend. I stopped playing for awhile cause I got pissed off at the Hill 192 - Veteran map. Finally beat the damn level and knocked off the rest of the campaign in a day :D I'm looking forward to playing the expansion and especially the Brits cause I'm a turtler at heart.

Looking forward to Relic's next RTS, Dawn of War II as well woot.

Great game. Comes alive online. Stresses me out when playing online though, saturated with good players.

I want to play online, I enjoy it immensely. But I always end up with idiot teammates or people that don't help out much. Anyone else looking for some regulars to play with?

I want to play online, I enjoy it immensely. But I always end up with idiot teammates or people that don't help out much. Anyone else looking for some regulars to play with?

I play with one of my best friends regularly. But when playing with people I've met over the net, I'm just looking for nice folks. :)

Well, some of my friends have it and play it once in a while. But they'd rather be playing TF2 or something, so we rarely get to play. Would be nice to have a few regulars to play with though.

Don't be afraid to jump into automatch. It will put you with people that are roughly the same skill level as you. If you can defeat or hold your own against a Hard CPU on a simple skirmish map like Angoville, you're good to go.

Great game. Comes alive online. Stresses me out when playing online though, saturated with good players.

Agreed. In my opinion it's the best RTS out there. But beware jumping online. The community is large, and the community is fierce.

Don't be afraid to jump into automatch. It will put you with people that are roughly the same skill level as you. If you can defeat or hold your own against a Hard CPU on a simple skirmish map like Angoville, you're good to go.

Played an expert computer 1 on 1 last night, didn't lose a single unit.. in fact, the only loss I had was a building I canceled. But I'd rather play team games with people, but don't have anyone to play team games with. See the dilemma?

(not a single man in any squad died :p)

Agreed. In my opinion it's the best RTS out there. But beware jumping online. The community is large, and the community is fierce.

That's one the reasons I've never liked the multiplayer in any RTS game; when I play games I like to veg out and have fun. RTS multiplayer requires way too much micromanagement that it becomes a chore and I'm usually sick of it after one game. Plus, I'm a turtler at heart, I like to build up a solid defense and then take my time systematically destroying everything. Unfortunately we turtlers get destroyed by a live opponent :mad: Not to mention, in a game like CoH with it's veterancy system, I really hate it when I lose a lvl 3 sniper.

ya I suck at microing all the units/using the shortcuts, that's why I never really got into RTS games. Only "rts" I played is DoTA, because you only have 1 thing to worry about, lol. But I'll definitely try it.

btw is there anyway I could get this into steam? I tried the activiate CD key with the retail one but it won't work.

It's a different type of micro, not like you see in StarCraft/WarCraft with the heroes, all their special abilities, the zerg defiler, terran science vessel, or protoss templars, etc. When you micro units in CoH, it's more of a battle for position (maneuvering) and cover with some rock/paper/scissors in the background.

RTS multiplayer requires way too much micromanagement that it becomes a chore and I'm usually sick of it after one game.

Over my many years of online gaming, I've learned there are two kinds of people out there - FPS'ers and RTS'ers. As much as I love Company of Heroes, and as much as I respect it, I've come to terms that I just cannot play the game competitively. I reached a point where I could pretty much dominate all of my irl gaming friends, which gave me a little confidence. But then whenever I went online it was just a whole new level, and I just couldn't do it. I'd then have to go into CS or TF2 and own up a pub to make myself feel better.

To anyone looking to get into the online scene, I highly recommend watching replays from the more expert players. It's a great way to learn strategies.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/-CoH-Section.html

I got COH: Opposing Fronts for free with a video card purchase and I guess I need to install it again because the first time around it didn't float my boat. I didn't like the build que aspect of it. I had more fun with Blitzkrieg which is a similar game but has no build que. You get a limited set of units to complete the mission and that's it.

Well, for those of us that maybe aren't able to compete on the competitive level.... anyone wanna play? Comp stomp or vs, whatever. I like to be at least somewhat acquainted with the people I play with. PM me or something, post here, whatever. Playing by myself (while enjoyable) gets old sometimes.

You pervert.

Yep excellant game. My room mate and I play this game all the time.

I got COH: Opposing Fronts for free with a video card purchase and I guess I need to install it again because the first time around it didn't float my boat. I didn't like the build que aspect of it. I had more fun with Blitzkrieg which is a similar game but has no build que. You get a limited set of units to complete the mission and that's it.

That's actually my preferred playstyle and the main reason why I think I'll enjoy Dawn of War II more than Starcraft 2 (blasphemy I know). DoW II multiplayer will remain unchanged but I remember reading that the single player campaign will start you off with a group of units and you'll have to complete the map with only those units. Not to mention being able to get new weapons/armors/items for your units that carry over to subsequent missions.

Good game, lots of tactics, looks great, fun for the most part.

I get my arsed kicked online, i just cannot work out how people are so good, usualy I pick up games extremely fast, but with RTS games I just get owned in the face no matter how much I play, still if you're lucky enough to get lumped with team mates who are good enough to win no matter how crap you are, then it's a hoot :D

I know I am in the vast minority for my lack of enthusiasm for this game. My viewpoint comes about from my history of playing wargames and the lack of accuracy found in CoH. Nothing frustrated me more while playing this game than executing a perfect ambush with my armor and having the enemy simply shrug off the first hit or two because their hitpoints weren't low enough for a critical. Any game that allows a Sherman to take a direct shot from a Panther at under 100m and live... :D

I've thoroughly enjoyed Company of Heroes, played it a whole lot back before Opposing Fronts, never quite got the hang of OF. Its very fun until you realize that every game progresses the same in competitive play, and that in multiplayer the first few skirmishes generally determine the game.

Its a great game to play with a few close friends, just make sure that no-one is much better than the other player. Its a hard game to make a comeback in.

Company of Heroes online is probably one of the best multiplayer RTS experiences available on PC. Play it. Now.

;)

(Seriously)

I dont have any multiplayer experience, but single player is a blast. Looks great too.

Can people who purchase CoH on steam play with those who have the retail version of the game?

I know I am in the vast minority for my lack of enthusiasm for this game. My viewpoint comes about from my history of playing wargames and the lack of accuracy found in CoH. Nothing frustrated me more while playing this game than executing a perfect ambush with my armor and having the enemy simply shrug off the first hit or two because their hitpoints weren't low enough for a critical. Any game that allows a Sherman to take a direct shot from a Panther at under 100m and live... :D

I agree, the historical accuracy of the strength of some of the units is quite overlooked. Don't forget the tanks only being able to fire about 200 feet, then they have to move forward and fire again if their target moves backwards. There were a few mods that attempted to address this, but nothing that made it realistic (KMOD came closest I think). But one does have to sacrifice realism for gameplay and balance though. How balanced would it be when a tiger and and ostwind (which, if speaking realistically, would not be present. Only ~40 or so were ever made) could hold up and successfully engage a number of Shermans or other vehicles?

I think the heavy tanks were a bit more realistic in the campaign mode, I seem to recall the last british mission having to take on Jadgpanthers and King Tigers that were obliterating my firefly tanks in two hits. Maybe I just sucked when I played that one though...

I know I am in the vast minority for my lack of enthusiasm for this game. My viewpoint comes about from my history of playing wargames and the lack of accuracy found in CoH....

You should instead try the Combat Mission series. Although not real-time, it strives for realism. Good games too.

I don't think CoH has ever even pretended to try and be historic or accurate. It's meant for fast paced, close quarters action.

If you want to get good at CoH I HIGHLY recommend watching replays and shoutcasts ( http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/ ) and reading the strat forums.

I really like Kojaimea's replays too, because he records them using FRAP's. That way you can actually see how the experts play the game - through their view, mouse clicks and all. I'll tell you one thing though, I don't move nearly that fast when I play. hahahah.....haha.......ha....... :(

I could never get into the game for one simple reason, and maybe someone can crack the problem for me.

No matter how much I played, it was about 3-4 minutes before tanks would start absolutely overwhelming me, and sticky bombs and mines were hardly enough to stop them. Is there a more effective defense against them?

No matter how much I played, it was about 3-4 minutes before tanks would start absolutely overwhelming me, and sticky bombs and mines were hardly enough to stop them. Is there a more effective defense against them?

AT guns and the intelligent placement of them.

Stickies are nice for harassment and destroying engines, but AT guns really take down the armor. As well as, you know, your own tanks. M10's are somewhat cheap and very fast, but require a bit of micro.

I'm not sure when the last time you played was, but back in the day Stug spam was a big problem for Allied players. Axis was able to get them out very quickly and often caught the Allied player off guard.

Or it may just be an underlying problem that you're just not teching fast enough, and the other player is always getting tanks before you.

I'm not sure when the last time you played was, but back in the day Stug spam was a big problem for Allied players. Axis was able to get them out very quickly and often caught the Allied player off guard.

Does back in the day mean that's been patched or nerfed?

Does back in the day mean that's been patched or nerfed?

Well, I guess so. Tanks are a different kind of beast than they were during launch, and the counter measures against them have improved. A tank or two isn't ever going to dominate the battlefield.

Although I think perhaps the main issue you were having was that you weren't adapting to the common early Stug rush. Or, that you just weren't tech'ing fast enough to get the counters out. But that's just me guessing. I don't know. Lord knows I have my own issues with this game.....

Probably. So AT guns are key to taking care of that nuisance?

Kinda, it still takes a while to get AT guns. They slowed down the stug building times I believe. You think the stugs are bad? Wait till you see a German side that have the Artillery Stug cannon. Those things rip through infantry like no other.

Probably. So AT guns are key to taking care of that nuisance?

AT guns, for both sides, are absolutely necessary in this game. They take a little finesse to use, since they're slow moving and easily flanked, but very effective against armor at long range. Be sure to keep an infantry squad or MG nearby so the AT gun doesn't get bum rushed.

Wait till you see a German side that have the Artillery Stug cannon. Those things rip through infantry like no other.

A few months back when I quit CoH, the StuH tank was absolutely ridiculous in it's ability to wipe out infantry squads. But now I'm reading that all tanks have been nerfed versus infantry - and they're incapable of killing more than one squad member per cannon shot. And apparently now the Blitz doctrine is the least used, when a few months back it was all anybody ever used.

Maybe I'll start playing Panzer Elite. I never really got into them... but it would be something new.

Back