Company of heroes, open beta.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/coh_screening.aspx

Now open :), game is a blast. If you like RTS games but have gotten bored of the usual ones like AOE/Warcraft, etc you'll probally like this one.

The battlefields and AI are awesome. Heavy use of physics on the entire game make for some very nice looking fights :).

It is an amazing game, I've been playing it for a while now... some of the last patches screwed things up a bit and it can be kind of hard to connect/start a game atm. If you can actually play, it's IMO one of the best RTS games in a long time.

Tutorial was fun, but I didn't get a CD key with my download? So, no online play for me. Lotsa fun.

Anyone having trouble putting in the code that prevents automated registrations? I swear I'm typing it in right. :confused:

When you fill out the info for fileplanet it should bring you to a screen with a key on it, use that as your cd key, it also mails it to whatever you used to register for fileplanet.

The game is very much like a World War 2 version of Dawn of War, which is a very good thing. Using different units in tactical formations, flanking enemy positions, artillery, armor all play very important roles in this game and you can't just use a mass of 1 type to win. Games can be VERY long and drawn out though but it is quite intense when both teams/players are at a stalement and one wrong move can spell disaster. Give it a shot, definately worth the download.

ElvishBoy311 said:
When you fill out the info for fileplanet it should bring you to a screen with a key on it, use that as your cd key, it also mails it to whatever you used to register for fileplanet.

The game is very much like a World War 2 version of Dawn of War, which is a very good thing. Using different units in tactical formations, flanking enemy positions, artillery, armor all play very important roles in this game and you can't just use a mass of 1 type to win. Games can be VERY long and drawn out though but it is quite intense when both teams/players are at a stalement and one wrong move can spell disaster. Give it a shot, definately worth the download.

I agree, it seems to be a refined and improved version of Dawn of War, very fun game. I am definitely buying this.

Tried out the open beta, this is a fantastic WW2 strategy game. Must buy if you like RTS's. :eek:

Isn't it amazing how we don't bat an eye when we're about to download 1.6 GIGS? lol

**remembers the days of dialup**

Game looks sweet, and looks like it'd tear my 6800nu's heart out.

Pretty cool game, I like the slower pace of the game. Was that Steven Blum (Spike in cowboy bebop) in the tutorials?

mdameron said:
Isn't it amazing how we don't bat an eye when we're about to download 1.6 GIGS? lol

**remembers the days of dialup**

Game looks sweet, and looks like it'd tear my 6800nu's heart out.

Frankly, yes. We just got 5mb dsl at home and it is a godsend for files like this. Now I know why people need big hard drives :p.

anyone having difficulties connecting to the servers? Status says they're up, but my game just won't connect.

looks exceptionally cool.
Is there any way to run it on windows 2000?
Blasted XP only software...

Game is probably one of the top 3 RTS I've ever played. Really fantastic. Servers are a little buggy, as is a few crashes now and then, but it's beta.

up, this game is awesome, just played and won my first online game :) More people need to play.

Is there a single player part of this beta, or just online? Sorry, I'm currently at work and can't view the YouTube video.

This is the mulitplayer beta.

I was not able to join last night. Had constant connection problems.

Im very addicted to this game now even though im not that great at it (or rts games in general). I realized my addiction yesterday when I spent 1 hour trying to wade through all the beta BS connection bugs just to get a game going :D

Nettwerk said:
Im very addicted to this game now even though im not that great at it (or rts games in general). I realized my addiction yesterday when I spent 1 hour trying to wade through all the beta BS connection bugs just to get a game going :D

Same. It seemed especially bad this weekend, I hope they get around to fixing it sometime this week.

Direwolf20 said:
Is there a single player part of this beta, or just online? Sorry, I'm currently at work and can't view the YouTube video.

There is a small tutorial series that you can play offline that teaches you some basics.

Finally managed to get my first game going. What a pain in the ass that was, but once we started it played just fine. Long battle with a friend against two computers. Lots of different strategies, but the old, build a lot of one unit, still works.

One of the best looking RTS games I've ever seen. They just need to work out the bugs. Hopefully in the full version there is a lot more variety in troups that you can get otherwise that will get old quick.

LynxFX said:
Finally managed to get my first game going. What a pain in the ass that was, but once we started it played just fine. Long battle with a friend against two computers. Lots of different strategies, but the old, build a lot of one unit, still works.

One of the best looking RTS games I've ever seen. They just need to work out the bugs. Hopefully in the full version there is a lot more variety in troups that you can get otherwise that will get old quick.

What unit is that? A lot of new people try to build/rush with tanks but a decent tank defense works fine against them.

I have never seen a "build alot of one unit" strat work in all the games I've played so far. Last night for instance I had a guy bum rush me with like 30 squads of infantry. To bad he met my defensive line which consisted of mines to slow em down, then 4 machine guns, 2 AT guns, and 4 mortars. His troops lasted all of about 5 seconds.

Other games I have played where people actually use a variety of units skillfully are MUCH more fun and take much more skill. For instance, the setup above would of only worked against a heavy infantry rush. I did not have enough AT guns to stop any heavy armor rush. Only reason it did work was because I had scouted the guys base and saw what he was doing. You literally have to think on the fly and do your best to counter your enemies counter.

The player who uses all of his assets to the fullest will win most battles and games.

So about how long are the battles (assuming both players are adept and not new)? I dont want to be playing the same person for an hour.

All depends on what game mode your playing and how effectively each person leads their troops.

Victory point games can go extremely fast if you control all the points. Annihilation games take longer due to the fact ya have to kill every last building, etc (traditional RTS style).

I've had games as short as 20 minutes, some as long as 2 hours or so because we were countering each other so well lol.

Back