component over s-video

MichaelJB

Limp Gawd
I have a cable, svideo on one end, scart on the other. if i connect my desktop to the tv the picture looks 'shaky' (cant really describe it better than that, sorta looks like bad refresh with a blue and red outline of everything on the screen) however if i go into the nvidia control panel and set the output to component (instead of s-video) the picture turns clear.

if i do the exact same setup on my laptop i still get the shaky s-video picture but when select to output through component the tv just goes blank.

my question is: does anyone know why, or know how i can get my laptop to display on my tv over this cable with the component setting?

if it helps my desktop is running a sparkle geforce mx440 128mb, my laptop has a geforce go 7400 256mb.

Sorry if any of this doesnt make sense, my knowledge is limited and i described it best i could.
Please post if you require more information about either computer.

Sorry i did mean composite.

my mx440 have the connect labled s-video/tv-out on that page u linked too
while my laptop has the one labled S-Video/HD/Comp.

Yeah, so your two machines have different outputs. I don't think there's much you can do here. You can try changing the resolution of the display. The S-Video/Composite outputs are just a sampling of whatever you main display resolution is...so if you set it to 1024x768, then it tries to scale that down for the TV...try setting it at 640x480 and see what that gets you...

Also, what kind of cable are you using? Does your TV have S-Video input?

tv has no s-video just scart, the cable is scart one end and s-video/tv-out (from that link) on the other. however it still fits into the S-Video/HD/Comp port on my laptop.

so u thinks its isnt possible? shame because composite looks ok on the tv but s-video doesnt.

its funny becaus you would think that the laptop (which has a port that says it does composite) would be the one that would output it. but instead the older card with just s-video is the one that works.

Mabey theres another type of cable, ill browse the net too see what i can find.

Any way, thx for time, that link was more than helpful :)

Just to clerify to anyone thats confused (as my original post is wrong) i have an s-video cable connect to a s-video/composite/hd port and i want to sent a composite signal to the tv, but it does not work.

Yes it does work when i send the composite signal from an s-video port accross the same s-video cable.

Hope that cleared it up a bit :p

EDIT: after reading various webpages about s-video i can now say that my graphics card has what is called a 4 pin connector while my laptop has a 7 pin connector, the cable im using is 4 pin. Im just curious as to how many people would thing a 7 pin cable would solve my problem bearing in mind i'v sent composite over 4 pin before.

Back