Computer Chair

get a cheap leather chair and buy one of those portable back support things that can massage and vibrate... way better than the 500$ ergonomic chairs we have at work

I tried it out at Office Depot. It was raelly comfortable after I raised the back so the lumbar was in the right place.

Is there anyway to set it so you can recline only halfway?

Did you screw with the controls and get it perfect? Just wondering how much better it would be if I had it at home and could get all the adjustments just right.

There is three locking tilt positions for you to choose from. I would say the second position is half way or a little less. That is the position I keep it at most of the time, including right now ;) Once you get it home and give it some sitting in you will find a very comfortable spot.

I have seen those before. The ones I am talking about are in the same mesh material as the ME7ERG and ME8ERGLO, but with vibrant colors. The chairs that company is showing are more like a traditional chair using foam and fabric to upholster the chair. Go to this link http://www.ergohuman.net and you can see what I am talking about. Right now they are only available in China, but soon they will be coming to America...or so I have heard.

Oh yeah, a lot of different colors of mesh on their site.

If you notice though, on the page I linked with the colors, the top 4 or 5 are mesh colors. Check the zoom in, looks like they are mesh?

get a cheap leather chair and buy one of those portable back support things that can massage and vibrate... way better than the 500$ ergonomic chairs we have at work

I'm not going to lie, that can be comfortable. But when you sit in one of the high-end chairs like the ergohuman you will feel the difference. I only sat in it for a few minutes but it feels like you are floating, not sitting. And it supports your back and neck at the perfect spots. Im 90% sure I'm going to blow the $500 on one.

Oh yeah, a lot of different colors of mesh on their site.

If you notice though, on the page I linked with the colors, the top 4 or 5 are mesh colors. Check the zoom in, looks like they are mesh?

I'm not going to lie, that can be comfortable. But when you sit in one of the high-end chairs like the ergohuman you will feel the difference. I only sat in it for a few minutes but it feels like you are floating, not sitting. And it supports your back and neck at the perfect spots. Im 90% sure I'm going to blow the $500 on one.

I believe it's a good investment. I sit in my office chair 8-12 hours a day which wears on my body quite a bit. Having this new chair has really made my day much more enjoyable.

I happen to work in the commercial interiors / office furniture industry and would caution you against buying any of the knockoff Chinese/Taiwan/Korean imports out there for the sort of money you're talking about. The Ergohuman model you're looking at is basically a clone of the Herman Miller Aeron chair using substandard parts. While it includes a "lifetime" warranty, it excludes labor and will generally require you to ship the chair at your expense to a service provider unless you have a local dealer to take it to. Any time I see the term "limited lifetime" next to warranty it's a red flag, USA Today did a great writeup on the concept you should read.

By the time you get the Ergohuman fixed (and cheap controls/hydraulics will fail prematurely) you will be spending the difference between this and a real and properly warranted office chair. Mind you, I think the Aeron is one of the least comfortable and most over-hyped chairs on the market - but if you're going to buy one at least get the real deal. If you're buying a no-name brand chairs out there, stick to the $200 or less price point - there are some decent buys in this price segment if you shop around. At one point Ikea had a pretty good chair for around $200 that someone else in this thread suggested that is worth a look. If you are going to spend $500, get a real chair new or used from an authorized dealer of Steelcase, Humanscale, Herman Miller, Knoll, etc. that will include the appropriate warranty and repair service.

If your local furniture dealer is anything like ours they are bound to have some brand new demo or mis-ordered name-brand chairs at a steep discount available with the full warranty. Since basically all of these chairs are special order most dealers will end up with a small inventory of mis-orders or items ordered for a showroom display that has since been moved off of the floor to make room for another product. If you are flexible on colors/options and not in a rush to buy there's no reason you couldn't find a brand new name-brand chair with a $800-1000 list price for less than the $500 you are proposing to spend on the Ergohuman unit. Just my opinion of course, others in this thread obviously have their own perspective on the Ergohuman chair (KKennedy83 seems to know a LOT about the product for an end-user). We happen to carry the Raynor/Eurotech product line and the Ergohuman is not a chair I would recommend for $500, there are better options for that sort of money. I have a strong bias toward the Steelcase Leap and Think models primarily because I sit in one or the other every day depending on where I'm officing. I prefer the Think (which is the cheaper of the two) but the self-adjusting backrest is a love it or hate it option for most people.

Also, has to be said, I will not provide a link or sales contact or any information on our dealership since that would be a gross conflict of interest in giving advice here - please don't ask. I've gotten a lot of great technical advice lurking in this forum so hopefully I can help someone else with a bit of my own insight into the commercial furniture business.

Good luck!

What chair do you recommend then? That has lumbar and head/neck support and doesn't cost $1500?

I have talked to a few people who have had the ergohuman chair for 6 months + and they all love it. I wish I knew who to trust hah

Honestly, I don't recomend a chair with head/neck support - it's not like you're sleeping in the thing (are you?). Unless you're got severe neck muscle atrophy or are an executive making lots of calls with your feet on your desk while reclined in your chair it's not a useful option. (link)

I posed the question of "which chair to buy" to our service techs which chairs they would suggest for long term use and both responded Steelcase Leap. Again, if you shop demo/mis-order brand new chairs or even catch the right sale on a base configured model you should have no problem getting either a Leap or Think for slightly more than your budget. If they were selling the Ergohuman for $250 I might take a serious look, but for $500 there are simply too many better made, better warrantied chairs with proven track records on the market.

To make a geek analogy, I look at it like buying a power supply. You could get the "850 watt" Aspire with modular cables, neon lights and a metallic blue finish... or you can spend the same money and get a solid 600 watt Seasonic made unit in matte black with no modular cables. There are lots of people who buy both, the question is who ends up getting a better PSU for their money? Would you rather spend your money on a unit that looks cool with fun lights that looks good in your lanparty rig with the clear case panel, or one that includes superior parts, engineering and a history of reliability in an understated package?

What I do find interesting is that a "Kevin Kennedy" (KKenedy83 perhaps?) seems to have an agressive interest in viral marketing of this product. You may want to peek at the thread again and see who it is that's been giving you such great reviews of the product that actually owns one of these chairs besides him?

I found when I sat in the ergohuman chair in office depot that the head support can actually be employed while sitting upright and it was VERY comfortable... not just for sitting back w/your feet up. It's not like I spend all day in the chair, and I hit the gym 5 times a week. My neck isn't going to collapse because I don't use my muscles to hold my neck up while working. It just seems a lot more comfortable to me.

I understand what you are saying about the PSUs (I just bought a corsair hx 620 myself), but it's a lot more cut and dry with PSUs than with furniture. I wish there was a way to test out the "top 5" ergo chairs beforehand, but it just doesn't seem possible. I'm not interested in the Ergohuman beacuse it looks "futuristic." In fact, I would prefer one that was a little more minimalistic.

As for KKennedy, he could just love the chair and want to get the word out (I've seen it done before, hell, I have even done it with the Westinghouse 37" on multiple sites). You never know, he could come back and say the same about you possibly being affilliated with Steelcase.

I wish there was a way to know for sure, I guess I'll hold off on the purchase and try to find some places in the Miami area where I can try out the different chairs.

EDIT: I read that article you linked to again (had found it while searching earlier):

Besides, a headrest only comes into play when the chair's occupant is leaning far back, which doesn't paint a pretty picture in an era when top executives want to be seen as forward-facing hard- chargers. Then again, there are those moments when even the Type A president or chairman of the board could use a little R&R.

I think that the writer of the article hasn't tried the Ergohuman chair because if he had he would realize it could be adjusted for use in a fully upright posture. I totally agree that if I couldn't use the headrest except while reclined that it would be no use to me. Most cars and chairs with headrests (from cheap pleather executive chairs to real ones) only let you employ the headrest when totally reclined.

The Raynor Group's Jeff McQueen concedes that the headrest on the Ergohuman chair isn't technically essential to its function; after all, in the relatively low-traffic private sanctums of most CEOs, there isn't much danger of whiplash. "It's more of an executive feature," McQueen says. "It just looks better in an executive office."

It definitely isn't essential to it's function, but it is a hell of a lot more comfortable for me.

Herman Miller draws the line at headrests, however. "They're kind of a vanity feature that doesn't really serve the customer," Otteman says. "We don't go there."

Again, if you don't have to lean back to use it I don't see how you could say this. Have you ever put a pillow behind your head on an airplane or in a car for a long drive? You are still sitting totally upright, but your head is supported. That is how I like a headrest.

I will point out that I was not the first person in this thread to suggest the Steelcase Leap chair - and that one of the first things I mentioned in my original post was that I worked for a dealer that sells both Steelcase and Raynor (Ergohuman chair included) products along with about 100 other chair brands. I will tell you that I do no work for Steelcase and that your decision to purchase one of theirs versus any other brand of chair has 0 impact on me personally or profressionally. That said, without a doubt, Steelcase is our flagship brand - and generally our most expensive chair (though they have offerings at pretty much all pricepoints). There's a reason most of our fortune 500 size clients spend the money on Steelcase chairs since they expect to get 10+ years out of their investment with 8-12 hours of daily use and know that service is readily available if needed.

Fact is, Hyundai may have the same or a better warranty than a more expensive Honda - but who makes the better car? Brands like Steelcase, Herman Miller and to some extent, Humanscale all have established brand names and a reputation for producing a quality product. The problem with the Ergohuman is it's price - at $500 you are in the ballpark of most of the established "top tier" chair brands if you are resourceful in your shopping. If you want to pay tenderloin prices for ground chuck, by all means... :)

Good luck whatever you decide to do, hopefully the chair you purchase (with or without the spoiler... er headrest... ;) ) will provide the ergonomics you are looking for and a lifetime of service regardless of it's brand name.

I was just trying to make a point, saying that anyone can type anything on the internet.

I totally respect your opinion and will take it into account, you can be sure of that. I found a corporate supply outfit near my office in Miami that will let me try out a Steelcase Leap and I'll do so when I get back into town. It's just hard to make a decision from such a short period of time. And don't worry, whatever chair I decide on I'll be buying as cheap as possible.

You mentioned the warranty, I thought Raynor had a lifetime warranty on this chair other than fabric?

Sounds like you are on the right track, there's no substitute for getting out there and trying a number of different chairs to figure out what you like. I asked our resident seating product guru this morning about Raynor/Ergohuman chairs and he suggested looking at the "Global" products that OfficeMax, Office Depot and Staples sells instead. Global includes a lifetime warranty on all of their chairs, and is an established brand with an extensive network of dealers and service providers available. HON also makes a good product though their warranty is only 5 years.

For $300 I thought this "Global Tye" Mesh Back Manager chair was an interesting option (Staples sells the same chair for $359 so a price match + discount option should work to get it cheaper there if you have a local Staples store.):

http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...ansionOID=-1610650122&prodBlockOID=1611531989

Otherwise $180 for this "Global Airflow" mesh, mid-back chair with a leather seating surface and a lifetime warranty seems like a great buy:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&productId=86786&cmArea=SC2:CG32:CL161514

Just so you have a baseline for price comparison when you evaluate the Leap chair, our retail store sells the basic black fabric model with carpet casters brand new for $650. Since there are about a million combinations of options in a Leap chair, misorders are not uncommon especially in larger dealerships. The longer they've been storing a given chair, the more it's depreciated on the books while costing them money to store and manage. The longer they've been holding it, the more likely you are to get a bargain - though I've seen some pretty hideous color combos sitting in our warehouses so YMMV.

Happy hunting!

yeah for a while i would just gank someone else in my houses office chair until they needed it back then they asked me to stop and i used a folding chair with some padding on the seat and back for a while then for my birthday my aunt got me a nice office chair i think it was a 50$ one which works just perfect for me

so i think its a really good idea to get someone else who has a pos chair a nice office chair especially because its hard to tell what they would actually use if you bought them a computer component and for some reason giving cash as a gift seems distasteful and i really dont think "you get what you pay for" applies to office chairs there are no doubt diminishing returns for that

Back