Computer damaged?

Black-Tom

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I would first just like to say that I own a p2 233 mhz machine, with ~298 ram or about with a fifty gig hd and a ten. (ghetto, I know)

I have recently been using it as a media center on which to run my music and generally use that spare hd space for files that weren't important to me but couldn't stay on my main disc.

A few days ago, while ripping audio tracks off a cd, I noticed that the computer was getting EXTREMELY hot. I opened it up, and discovered that the fan was no longer running :rolleyes:

Not wanting to shut down the machine in the middle of ripping the tracks, I opened the side of the case in order to let the heat out. While the case was open, I saw some kind of electricity or something spring out of one of the molex connectors, and at about this time the machine shut down.

At first I thought I had killed it, but when I tried to boot it up later it turned on. I think the problem was it overheated and therefore shut itself down hastily (which kind of explains the spark from the molex).

Finally, while rebooting , I realized that the machine had dropped one of the Hardrives. The ten gig, thank goodness :p.

My question is, do you think any of the other hardware in the machine might have been affected? would it be dangerous using this machine in the future? I don't want to lose a machine in my house... because this one was very important to me.

Corrent me if I am wrong but I don't think you can see electricity, only electric discharge. I would re-connect all the wires and run Prime95 on it to make sure it won't overheat again.

I wouldn't use the connector that was sparking. :eek: If it was the cpu fan that stopped you should replace it before you power the system back up.

Yes, a spark is what I meant :rolleyes: . For some reason the word slipped my mind.

No, it was not the cpu fan, but the cpu fan is extremely tiny. The case needs a seperate fan just to stay cool enough to where the drives are not *hot* to the touch.

Ill try that program.

Back