Computer for parents

PiSquared

Limp Gawd
My brother and I are building a computer for our parents for Christmas. They have a POS that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. But my brother is a cheap SOB. So we agreed to split up to $500.

I decided to go up to $550 and eat the extra cost to get a better machine since at that price point it makes a big difference. Here's what I've put together from Newegg. I'm hoping for a sanity check and if I missed something stupidly obvious please let me know. I really want the SSD since I think it makes big difference over a few years.

As always, thanks to the awesome [H] community and thanks for reading this.

$54.99: Rosewill R519-BK Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 500W Power Supply
$16.99: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
$109.99: Acer G246HLAbd Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor
$29.99: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 FM2 AMD A55 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$54.99: AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz FM2 65W Dual-Core Dsktop APU (RADEON 7480)
$49.99: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
$129.99: Seagate 600 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
$99.99: Windows 8.1 64-bit

$546.92 total, free shipping

$54.99: Rosewill R519-BK Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 500W Power Supply
This is the biggest issue I see with your setup. The included PSU is a piece of shit. You can tell from the fact that it still has a red voltage selector in the rear which indicates that it is an old design, a shitty design, or both. There's a reason why good PSUs start out at around $50 alone. Not to mention the shitty cooling capability of that case.

I recommend this PSU and case setup instead:
$45 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
$50 - Corsair CX600 600W PSU
---
Total: $95 shipped.

Yes this will push you over your budget. But since you wanted that SSD, you're going to have to eat that higher cost if you want to not give your parents a piece of shit. Though you can shave off $20 by going wiht this smaller monitor:
$90 - Hanns-G HE225DPB Black 21.5" LCD Monitor

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the biggest issue I see with your setup. The included PSU is a piece of shit. You can tell from the fact that it still has a red voltage selector in the rear which indicates that it is an old design, a shitty design, or both. There's a reason why good PSUs start out at around $50 alone. Not to mention the shitty cooling capability of that case.

I recommend this PSU and case setup instead:
$45 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
$50 - Corsair CX600 600W PSU
---
Total: $95 shipped.

Yes this will push you over your budget. But since you wanted that SSD, you're going to have to eat that higher cost if you want to not give your parents a piece of shit. Though you can shave off $20 by going wiht this smaller monitor:
$90 - Hanns-G HE225DPB Black 21.5" LCD Monitor

Very good points. I think I will do just that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back