Computer like refridgerator light

Othersider

Gawd
My setup is inside an armoire. I'd like to rig up a switch of some sort that would turn the computer on when I open the doors, and off when I close them, smoothly.

I could rig up a momentary (OFF)-ON pushbutton to kill the AC to the UPS, which would then send a shutdown signal. But that doesn't solve the turning on issue, and probably repeated deep cycling isn't much good for the battery. Is there some sort of USB-switch solution to this, perhaps by disassembling a keyboard with a shutdown button in it?

Yeah, disassembling a USB keyboard with a shutdown button would work. Set the BIOS to 'Wake On Keyboard', and that same button could turn on, and turn off the PC.

tom61 said:
Yeah, disassembling a USB keyboard with a shutdown button would work. Set the BIOS to 'Wake On Keyboard', and that same button could turn on, and turn off the PC.

But how would I get that button to be pushed-and-released when I close the door, and pushed-and-released again when I open it?

I think this could be done quite easily with a $3 microcontroller run off the +5VSB line in your power supply. I don't have much for supplies kicking around right now or I'd prototype something up for you.

This would also prevent the situation where the door is opened and closed again right away, as well as ensure that the system doesn't get in a confused state where opening the door turns the computer OFF and then closing it turns it back on.

Back