Computer restarts with UPS

beachbum

Limp Gawd
I recently got a cyberpower (CPS425SL) 425VA 230W UPS. I let it sit overnight to charge and decided to give it a test today. I flipped the breaker only to discover the computer restarting! I did it again, pulling the plug. Unplugged UPS and bam, computer restarts. Everything stays on through the whole ordeal, other than the computer restarting. Its a shuttle. I'm pulling about 170 watts according to my Kill-A-Watt reader. What's causing this?

I think you're at the point where you should call Cyberpower and talk with their techs. I didn't see anything on their website that looks like it fits your problem.

I think the load that you're putting on it is within range, you may just have an ultrasensitive powersupply in the computer. If you have another computer try testing the ups with that or plug in a light and see if it dims a little when you pull the plug.

I did talk to them, and all they said was to return it (to newegg? Shipping anyone?).

I will try it on another computer.

just a thought...

i got a free ups...read buddy picked it up dumpster diving....it works, battery is charged...its some DELTEC POWER RITE....anyhow..

i plug pc into ups, and it powers on fine, and loads windows and will be 110% stable without the com port cable for management of the ups

whenever i use the com port cable from ups to pc, the pc immediatly shuts off without warning....so long as i dont use the com cable to monitor the ups it wont shut off....but i want to monitor the ups ya know...i tried 2 diff com cables, with same results....somethings trippin it up and shuttin it off....

maybe try another com port cable? sorry im not much help but im tryin

wee96 said:
I dont think your going to get much help when you act like that.
Act like what? I contacted Cyberpower and got no help at all, and i'm going to attempt it on another computer? How is that a bad way to act?

And no I am not using the cable, it does it with cable and software and without.

You respond to yourself several times in the beginning of the thread, in a sarcastic manner, thats what im referring to.

meh...lay off him, so he was persistant and kinda arrogant with askin for help....most of us geeks, when frustrated and at wits end, get that way, myself incuded...

but i dunno what to say now man....i dont kno much to say anything else....yea it sucks they said to return it to newegg...and u gotta pay shipping back...eeewww

wee96 said:
You respond to yourself several times in the beginning of the thread, in a sarcastic manner, thats what im referring to.
Orlly. I am sorry that upset you.

It was just another way of bumping the thread, since the forum went down it was sinking so I had to do something.

I had a similar problem a while back. I had a compaq prosignia 300 on a low-end ups, and the damn prosignia restarted every time the ups switched to battery power. When I plugged a prosignia 500 into the same ups, it didn't restart. So it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the ups. My guess is your computer's power supply just isn't beefy enough to hold enough power to keep it going during the ups's switchover period. If that is indeed the case, then your options are to get a better power supply for your computer or buy an online ups so that you don't have a transfer time.

Back