Computer Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanSMK

Weaksauce
What is going on, heres the story, i moved to NY at the beginning of summer right after i graduated... because my parents wanted to retire up here...im from florida...so they said "i know your going to be upset leaving your friends but we will get you whatever you want"

no i immediately thought how great it would be to have 2...not 1...but 2 bad ass computers to play with my brothers on when i move up to NY because they live there too...

i ordered the 2 identical computers from newegg.com...greatest site ever...everything except the video cards

K8V Se Delux mobo, 3400+ athlon 64 1mb l2 cache, dual 512 corsair pc 3200 ram, SATA 10000 RPM western dig hdd, Audigy 2 gamer edition, the logitech speakers that are 7.1 and around 110..forgot name... arctic silver 5... logitech 510 and elite keyboards... dvd burners...
1 is going to my college when i start, the other is staying home

so thats what i got... now i was going to get the XTPE from gateway for 439 a piece...i waited for a month...and got angry... i immediately assumed the x800 would be better so ordered that...but with the doom3 benchmarks...and the pixel shader stuff.. i decided to go back to nvidia(i have never owned an ATI)

anyways i just ordered 2 Nvidia 6800 Gt's by LeadTech off of newegg...there already shipped should get here tommorow(friday) or maybe sat/monday if im unlucky

now heres my question, wut do i download, what do i do, to get the most out of my PCs...i always would just download video and sound drivers and go at my gaming...but on newegg some guy said "i got my gt and was disappointed with my 3dmark score...but it went up to 12000 after i upgraded my via drivers" whats that all about...i know its chipset drivers but basically you get what im saying, what upgrades and stuff do i need to do to get the most out of my PCs and such, i built one when i got the pcs and put in an old gforce 2 mx and i have used it to start transfering my data...alright im posting this in the video card and general hardware section.. hope im not bashed for being a nub, i went to tech school and got A+ certified but that was a while ago :(

Always download the lastest drivers for your chipset and vid card when you get it. Fixes many compatibility issues as well as improves performance. With some older vid cards, (GeForce 2,3,4) I used older drivers around 28.xx - 41.xx as I found they gave me much better performance.

The chipset driver I updated as soon as a new one came out, and never had any problems with them as far as decrease in performance.

I'm getting right under 12000 in 3dMark03 with my setup, and its relatively close to yours other than mine being a 3200+ instead.

Will overclock it and definately hit that 12000+ mark :)

omg you must be rich. I had to work extremely hard to save up enough so I can buy one new 6800...wow. ;)

My Asus A7N8X Dlx is an nForce2 mobo, so I got the drivers from nvidia's site. In your situation, I'd imagine (if it's a VIA board) that VIA will provide the most updated drivers. You may have to goto the ASUS site to get additional drivers for things which they added to the board, e.g. LAN - but I'd get the chipset drivers from the VIA site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back