Computer without a video card

MM983

n00b
As it stands now, I have a computer that is located in my closet. I use Remote Desktop Connection to actually use the machine. I have an extra monitor sitting around that I would like to use.

My question is, if I remove the video card from the computer... will it still POST and go into windows? I would like to take the card and add it to my main computer so I can have another monitor running.

I would do that, however it would be a lot of work to move the computer out and remove it and put it in my main computer to have it not work. I'd rather get a yes or no answer first.

Dell Dimension 4100
933 Mhz
256MB Ram
40GB HD

And some generic cheap video card. The first one (GeForce 2) burnt out. I just needed a cheap one to get going again before I started using remote.

Although i'm not sure why I need to post system specs.. it's either going to get past POST or it won't. o_O

Ok the reason for that is that some machines will not even boot without a video card in them. They will just give a beep tone and do nothing.

You might be lucky, some motherboards have an option in the BIOS to bypass any errors on POST and still boot up.

With a video card in, set the Halt on option to none, save and exit. Power off the system (Duh on my part) and remove the card. If the system only beeps and you never hear the hard drive accessing, your system must have a video card of some sort to boot properly.

I'm pretty sure a video card is required to "draw" the pixels while remote desktopping. I may be wrong though.

Back