Computer won't boot. PSU or virus?

swoop56

Limp Gawd
ok, Last night I was using my computer, I shut it down, and when I turned it on today, it would not boot. I've removed it, pushed it cables, cleaned out dust and it's still a no go.

My theory is the PSU went bad. Because I'm not getting any response whatsoever, there is no power in the system. Even if it were a bad component, I imagine I'd get a response of some sort, a boot failure. But my computer is behaving as if it has no insides.

But, For the past few days I've been running my computer without a firewall. Just straight ot the net because my router is borked and I've been lazy about getting a new one. Is it possible a virus may be causing this? I don't see how, but I'm straining here because I just can't figure how the system works and then hours later it doesn't.

Even if it was a virus your PSU fan should still power up, if it doesn't then you got a problem either with the cord, plug-in, or PSU.

Completely disconnect the psu, remove it from the case. Plug it in and jump the green wire to any of the black ones and see if it turns on. If not, you have your answer.

As a disclaimer... you could also pick up a psu tester, they're cheap, like $15 or so and you can get them at Fry's or Microcenter... and test it that way as well.

And I personally have never seen a virus that can prevent a machine from powering up..

I thought so. I can't imagine a virus rendering the thing useless.

I've already tried a different cable and a different outlet. I'm going to go ahead and remove the PSU and test it. I was hoping to avoid the ordeal.

Back