Computer won't start

8fingers

Limp Gawd
I have an Enermax 535W PSU. I forget the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure they only made one 535.

Just got home from college where I never, ever shutdown/restart my computer. Hooked it up here at the house, press the power button, the fans spin a couple revolutions at most and then nothing. I have to unplug everything, cycle the power button, and plug everything back in to get the fans to spin again just that little bit. I've had trouble in the past with it booting up here at home, where I would hit the power button and it would pretend to start for a few seconds then die. I would go through the above procedure and after a few tries, it would boot properly.

Is it the PSU? Is it possible something is wrong with my house?

75% sure it's a simple short (normally when fans spin, then stop), take it out of the case and try to boot it up like that. If all is go, clean/dust and carefully reinstall components.

If it fails then something more is wrong, where getting a spare PSU or test PSU would be a god send.

The enermax 535 is quite old, mine is about 3.5 years old personally. (its no longer in my computer). If its out of warrantee I would open the cover of the power supply and look for any bulged or leaking capacitors. If you ran your comp 24/7 for a number of years your enermax could be nearing the end of its life. Be careful not to touch anything inside the power supply and of course unplug it from the wall and wait at least 30 min to give the caps a chance to discharge

yeah, i pretty much run it 24/7 since i bought it, which is about 3 years now. i pulled it out of the case, same story. unplugged all nonessential stuff, same thing. vacuumed all the dust off it and reseated video card and RAM, still no joy. will try a new PSU tonight after the family goes to bed.

yeah, hooked up another PSU, purred to life no problem. Ordered a 650W Seasonic from the egg, arrives tomorrow.

Back