computer won't wake if USB devices plugged in

therat

Limp Gawd
I have a new Sabertooth P67 system. For some unknown reason if I plug in a USB faxmodem that gets power from the USB slot, if I put the computer to sleep or hibernation and leave it overnight, the computer won't wake up the next day. The exact same thing happens if i connect a usb printer to the computer and don't turn the mains power to the printer on.

It's as if the USB slots aren't putting out any power after sleep mode if an unpowered USB device is plugged in.

If I remove the faxmodem or I turn on the mains power to the printer, then the computer wakes perfectly.

any suggestions please?

my full system specs are:

Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K Quad Core CPU
ASUS Sabertooth P67 V3 Socket 1155 BIOS 1305
DDR3 8GB (2x4G) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM Kit
120GB OCZ Vertex II E 3.5" SATA 2 Solid State Drive (SSD)
2TB Western Digital BLACK edition 64M SATA HDD
1TB Western Digital Green 64M SATA HDD
NVIDIA GTX560 1GB Gigabyte OC PCIe Video Card
23.6" BenQ XL2410T 3D LED Monitor
CoolerMaster RC-922M-KKN1 HAF Mid ATX Case Black
Thermaltake 775 Watt Toughpower XT ATX PSU
LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer
Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance Liquid Cooling System

Do you have USB selective suspend enabled in power options>advanced in the OS? Try flipping that to the opposite setting and see what happens.

Also can you tell me the printer device model so that HQ can try and replicate please?

-Raja

Last edited:
Do you have USB selective suspend enabled in power options>advanced in the OS? Try flipping that to the opposite setting and see what happens.

Also can you tell me the printer device model so that HQ can try and replicate please?

-Raja

i have it set to enabled. Will try disabled. The printer is a Brother DCP-145C, the faxmodem is a NetComm AM5067.

cheers

Last edited:
will your system post from a cold boot with it attached? i know with my system if i have my cell phone plugged in it will not post, it just hangs until i unplug the phone.

Yes it will boot fine from a cold boot however having said that if I connect an external USB hard drive such as a WD 1T My Book it will hang at the bios screen. I need to disable legacy USB devices in bios to get around it which then causes USB mouse and keyboard problems.

Now I just connect the external drive when I'm in Win 7 and disconnect it before I shut down, just another nuisance but hopefully one that will get fixed in time.

Yes it will boot fine from a cold boot however having said that if I connect an external USB hard drive such as a WD 1T My Book it will hang at the bios screen. I need to disable legacy USB devices in bios to get around it which then causes USB mouse and keyboard problems.

Now I just connect the external drive when I'm in Win 7 and disconnect it before I shut down, just another nuisance but hopefully one that will get fixed in time.

Ok thanks for the info, I have relayed that to HQ. Did the USB selective suspend setting change anything for S3 resume on your printer/fax??

-Raja

Ok thanks for the info, I have relayed that to HQ. Did the USB selective suspend setting change anything for S3 resume on your printer/fax??

-Raja

no it didn't. It's as if the USB ports aren't supplying enough power when resuming from sleep and it's preventing the system from waking.

no it didn't. It's as if the USB ports aren't supplying enough power when resuming from sleep and it's preventing the system from waking.

Ok thanks for the info - will relay that back..

-Raja

Is there any plan or feedback on resolving this, like a BIOS update? I'm encountering the same exact issue as terat with this motherboard. I know the post is recent, however I access the computer remotely for work very often and I can't reboot it if there's a USB drive attached. Its not practical to unplug the drive every time I leave, like most people these days I routinely use extended storage. Thanks.

Never gotten suspend/sleep to ever work properly on any computer. My last two systems (using the same video card) would come out of suspend/sleep, but wouldn't turn the monitor back on. I'd end up hitting the reset.

Back