Computer Works For 1 Minute Then Stops

A few months ago I bought parts to build a new PC. This is my seventh PC that I have built from the ground up. Once I put the computer together and booted it up for the first time the computer went on a minute or so, and then shut down. This keeps happening no matter what I do. I have access to a working computer with the same socket and all, and I have repeatedly tried combinations with both setups to find out if a specific part is broken. However all parts seem to work when used in the already working computer. I have been trying to figure out this problem for months, and can't come up with any solutions.

Here is a roundup of my components:
- ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-960 Cooler Master Gemini II S CPU Fan
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
- HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ 1 GB (128bit) DDR3 HDMI Dual DL-DVI (HDCP) PCI Express 2.0 X16 Video Card Retail
- Ultra X4 1050-Watt Modular Power Supply

I have tried keeping it as simple as possible, hooking up as few components as possible to run to just see if I can get it to run for more than a minute, but at last, I can't. Like I said, I have tested out the components individually, and they all seem to work. So I can't understand when they are all together, why it works fine for one minute and then always shuts off. I have tried using the hard drive of the working computer and it loads up Windows XP fine and goes through all the motions, but then randomly shuts down again. There are no warning beeps from the motherboard or nothing.

I've wanted to ask on this forum for a while, but I honestly didn't know how to ask this question, cause it seems like such a weird situation, and I really don't know what even to ask. But after months of trying different stuff on my own, I am just hoping someone has an idea. Like I said, I have successfully built 6 computers before, and feel like I know what I am doing, and still can't figure out anything in this situation. It is extremely frustrating.

Have you swapped the power supply? If not, try that.
If it still does it than the only thing left is the motherboard.

Look in the event viewer?

How about CPU heat?

Anything in the BIOS for heat shut-down?

Probably not but that's all I can think of. :(

It's either PSU(the shut down comes during the boot where is increased power draw) or it is motherboard, probably where some component is overheating, or internal chipset issue. Although you have 2 same computers, the mobos can differ in some situations. I was having a similar weird issues with my current PC when it was new, where it was randomly restarting and it took me sole 1 year to get it in to working state, I replaced 3 mobs, hard drives and more. So I definitelly bet it's motherboard.

Like you I do new builds, fixes, reloads, upgrades to many PC's and laptops.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me. Did you calculate the max power draw for each component? What is the max power on your PSU? The motherboard alone can draw a lot peak power during boot up.

Something's to try:
1)If it has onboard video use that instead of a video card.
2)Use minimal memory sticks to boot.
3)Reseat the CPU.
4) Go into BIOS and monitor the dc volts and temps there for several minutes, yes sit there and monitor the results.
5)Use BIOS default settings and reboot.
6)Clear BIOS and reboot.

Most microprocessor or microcontroller designs have a toggle reset built in to the design, they call it "Watch Dog Timer". The premise is when a peripheral is bad the CPU reboots or resets all peripherals to see if that clears the problem. Peripheral are connected to North/South bridges, includes themselves. Some reset in one minute or two minutes. This is done in the BIOS code to use the Watch dog timer function in the processor. This not part of the RTC ( Real Time Clock) completely different function.

Hope this helps!

As soon as your pc boots up, get into BIOS and monitor the temps there. Look out for anything skyrocketing... If you have access to one, slave in another PSU to determine if it's that or the mobo.

Back