2x1gb kingston 667mhz
Intel D946GZIS
*80gig sata (boot)
*160 gig sata
*dvd burner
*7600gt
*X-fi EM
*Thermaltake 430w

Everything with a ( * ) means I pulled it from a working dell machine.

So I plugged everything into my Lian li PC-A05 (thank you Ockie!) and booted up. The bios screen came up and I went into setup to check it out.

Whoops! It appears I forgot to plug my two sata drives into the motherboard! *shame* oh well, I'll do it in a second. I continued poking through the bios when I noticed my ram was at 533, so I changed it and then shut off the computer.

I plugged in the necessary wires and booted again, and this is where it goes wierd. Hit Power, the fans and drives spin up for 1 second and then die. Without touching anything, the fans and drives then spin up after 5-6 seconds of nothing. Uh, what? During this the screen remains blank as if theres no connection and the three keyboard lights blink when the fans start up the first time and blink again when the fans start again. I am certain the bios says "Numlock ON" and it remains off.

What Ive tried so far (and has produced the same results)
-removed sata cables
-removed video card and plugged into the motherboard VGA connector
-removed ram (instead of the fans going the mother board beeped like its supposed to)
-changed the BIOS pin setting (tried NORMAL, CONFIGURATION, and RECOVERY)

I'm outta ideas. This is the first computer Ive actually put together from scratch and dont know what to do from here.

Can anyone help me out?

have you tried booting with one dimm ? reset the bios , I think you have to up the memory voltage to run them at 667 mhz... also get everything out and assemble from scratch...

First thing i would do would be to to try and re-produce the previous working state. reset the bios, remove the extra hdd, see if it boots like before. if it does, check if you can change the memory according to kingston's specs(check the volts and the timings that kingston lists for the memory working at 667). restart, if everything is ok, plugin the extra hdd. remember also that because you changed mobo, a fresh winxp istall is highly reecommended.

Back