Concept Laptop With Fold Out Keyboard

that would be great for those (older) people who want the full keyboard, numpad, and a large display yet be able to carry their laptop in a small case.

Yeah, it needs a bigger screen but I really like the idea of a fold out keyboard as long as they could execute it correctly.

yeah, really depends on how the keyboard's quality. nice idea, but is it totally functional, or just a gimmic?

I think there was a thinkpad(?) laptop years ago with a netbook-sized screen, say 10" ish, but the kb folded out so you had a full-size KB. There must have been durability or some other problem 'cause netbooks now don't use that strategy to get a full-size kb.

With the way they have the keys lined up I'd never use that comfortably as a word processor. That is the main draw for me to own a laptop for its portable nature and extra benefits when I'm on the road. Gaming ends up being thrown into the mix as well.

I like the idea but not this particular implementation of the concept. I like that the keyboard is low, not raised up as in the IBM ThinkPad Butterfly keyboard.. that was probably raised too high to be comfortable.

Seeing the red eraser "track point" makes me miss my old Compaq Evo N400c that I had for many years. I was able to use it faster than a track pad to move the cursor since I didn't have to take my hands off the keyboard.

Might just have something if someone would put this keyboard on a laptop with this screen..

4146218704_a1d8c80d30.jpg

The keyboard lacks a palm rest. Prolonged typing on it with it's squared off edge will be quite uncomfortable on the palm or wrist. I really dislike eraser mouse too. So if they put in a palm rest and a touchpad in the middle of it, I might consider it.

A 12" or larger screen too. 6" is much too small. I have an iPhone if I wanted a screen that small.

What I would like to see it someone put the touchpad above the keyboard on a laptop. I'm always bumping that thing when in the middle of typing something. You have to move your hands anyway right? Maybe I'm just an oddball....

I've seen these types of fold out keyboards before. You have to put some sort of bracing otherwise the sides that fold out will have give and eventually cause problems. That one looks fine for a flat surface, but what about when it's on your lap?

wasd are waaaay out of alignment...

And there's the rub: With a perfectly square layout, it may be as difficult for touch typists to use as a small keyboard. Can't really say without trying it...

How about typing around the hinges... That would frustrate me anyway, beside using the ultra tiny screen. I can barely deal with the 10inch on my netbook compared to my twin 24 inch panels at my desktop.

And there's the rub: With a perfectly square layout, it may be as difficult for touch typists to use as a small keyboard. Can't really say without trying it...

True... in fact you would be unable to type a "W" with the correct finger. Try typing a "Q" (essentially right above the "A") on a standard keyboard with your ring finger. Impossible without moving your pinky. :(
I'm sure many of the other letters on the top and bottom rows would be similar.

Hmm...Judging from this picture the screen wouldn't be able to close! :D :eek:
sure it can, could even be a "concealed hinge" but i doubt that, it's probably just offset a ways from the corner unlike most higes

Steve, I like it, but I'd be worried about the flex on the keyboard, suppose it accidentally unfolds while you're moving it around or something and the flex on it causes the keyboard to break? Then what?

I'd imagine it wouldn't be a common problem, but you never know, so the question stands, then what?

Back