Configuring Hyper-V Server for remote access

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Fresh install of Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, and I can't figure out how to get remote access working. I've tried using HVRemote to configure it. I'm following the 'quick steps' except it won't finish because the last step, no networked PC's can ping my server.

Can anyone lend a hand? Who has done this before? Am I following HVRemote wrong? I just want to be able to remotely administer the server so I can get some things set up.

Thanks..

Ok, after running the commands in the 'Client and Server both workgroup' section on the main page of HVRemote, I added an entry to my hosts file with the static IP of the server.

Now when I run Hyper-V manager, I can connect, kinda. I get an error 'The computer SERVER failed to perform the requested operation.' Any ideas?

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, remotely manage Hyper-V server from another pc.

Ok, well you should be able to install the tools on any other Windows PC and through the snap in point them to your host box.

The other way is to simply RDP to the Hyper-V box from the other host and manage it that way. In that case you need to enable remote desktop on the Hyper-V host and through the firewall.

Is this in a Microsoft security domain environment? If both the server and the workstation aren't a member of the same domain, I believe you have to do all sorts of tweaking (via registery, IIRC) on both server and client in order to allow authentication on non-domain credentials.

Workgroup. No domain. I'd be up for setting up a domain, but I don't want another pc running. I have 2. Desktop and the server that will be my VM server.

Yes, all that 'tweaking' is what I'm trying to do following some guides I'm finding online, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Last edited:
When you run "cscript hvremote.wsf /show /target:<server>" on your client machine. What (if any) tests fail, and what (if any) items are flagged as possible errors or warnings?

I done this before. The workstation has to be in the same domain that the Hyper V server is in and install the remote management tools. There are some settings that need to be set up on the Hyper Server such as firewall rules, but all can be found on Technet.

I'm in the midst of packing up for a move this weekend, so I'll be getting back to this shortly.

Back