Confirmation that Fable 3 will not be a direct port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fable 2 was god awful

Well it wasn't "God Awful" it was flawed. Its downfall was its weak story and vapid characters ..but the game play wasn't bad. The worst part of Fable 2 was its pointless co-op , Peter made a huge deal during E3 about how co-op was going to be a great part of Fable 2 ..instead it was a total after thought and all you can do is walk around your friends world as a fucking glowing orb. Very lame.

Its good news that Fable 3 has been altered but Fable 3 is not really that good of a game. Once you attain crown its boring and the game basically falls out of the focus. The process to becoming the King is also somewhat tedious (however the combat and leveling up are fun) and you have to go around and make promises for "votes" as it were and you can either honor them or ignore them. The political nature of the game kinda kills it in my mind , no one really wants to deal with whiny NPCs that bug you constantly.

I played it on the 360 and while the co-op was the best aspect its just not a 60 dollar game or even 50. Its fun for a time but there are so many better RPGs for the PC that just dwarf its scope and graphics and for far less than 50 bucks.

haha, yet another marketing dept promising "better PC support," :p

It sounds to me like the guy who's in charge of the PC version wanted to make the game more fun to play for himself. I think that for the 360 version he might've been given a mandate by his boss which he didn't agree with, and was then freed up for the PC version.

I guess it could be a big lie... but what if it's not.

At 2560x1440 this game is going to blow the console version out of the water. If the gameplay really is more challenging then the PC version is going to be the best of the bunch.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Fable is RPG-Lite, or what RPGs would be like if they were made by Fisher-Price. All three of them are garbage regardless if they are "true PC games" or not.

Fable is RPG-Lite, or what RPGs would be like if they were made by Fisher-Price. All three of them are garbage regardless if they are "true PC games" or not.

What a... very accurate way of describing it.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it personally. I was leaning towards designing an RPG for your 7 year old niece or nephew. Aside from the 'sex' I guess.

Basically every aspect of fable 1 / 2 that was supposed to be emphasized became lackluster and unimportant. Being good / evil pretty much did nothing. Not much of a 'world' at all. Just felt like there was a total lack of content. Gameplay was extremely trivial and pretty much any 5 year old can button mash their way through it. So many design decisions seemed like they were rushed / not fleshed out at all.

What bothered me the most about those games was the extremely high review scores. Fable 2 was one game that basically made me lose complete faith in review ratings.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more.

I played Fable through once and it was enjoyable enough to keep playing but really just incredibly shallow and dumbed down, It's the sort of thing you can play while also at the same time doing something a lot more interesting like watching TV or a movie.

I never touched Fable 2 and wont touch 3, and after my fairly boring experience with mass effect which I never completed and now the abomination of DA2 I'm generally staying away from any RPG that is multi platform, irrelevant of the time spent on the PC version.

I loved both the first and second fable. But I never went into them with the promises in mind. Fable 3 though, was a huge piece of shit. The only interesting part was the decision making which was 5 minutes of the game, the combat was worst than before, the new spell system seemed cool but sucked balls... Seriously, I can play Fable 2 again, but not 3 again.

How's the storyline in Torchlight vs Diablo?

Oddly enough, as much as Diablo was about just killed hordes of enemies, I also liked the story and atmosphere.

I really enjoyed Fable 1 on the Xbox and the Lost Chapters version on the PC. With Fable 2 I kind of stopped considering them RPGs since they removed so many RPG features. Still I enjoyed the game and beat it a couple times. I've put a few hours into Fable 3, but never got far since I wanted to wait for the PC version.

Why do I get the feeling that you didn't even play all three of them?

But how cool of you to dismiss the Fable series like that. You're missing the point of the series entirely. It's MEANT to be an 'RPG-lite'. At no point was Lionhead ever attempting to create an RPG similar to The Witcher 2 - that's just not what Fable is about.

This RPG is meant to be whimsical. It's a change of pace. The production values are massive, and the PC screenshots look fantastic. The guy in charge of the PC version seems pretty determined to have tweaked the gameplay to appeal more to PC gamers - it still won't be Oblivion, but then it was never meant to be Oblivion.

I found the original Fable on the PC (not on the console) to be an utterly charming experience - I'm super glad that this is going to be on the PC (I would have bet money that it wasn't going to happen), and am really glad to hear that the gameplay has been adjusted. If this title provides a similar experience to the first title on the PC then it will be a fine title to have in my library.

Your analogy, by the way, sucks. Fisher Price makes toys for children. The implication in your statement is that this game is just for kids. It's not. All I'm getting out of your post is that you don't understand what this series is about. A kid's game, and something that actually might be expected from Fisher Price, would be more along the lines of a Humongous title, such as Freddi Fish or Pajama Sam.

The Fable series is targeted much more towards adults - although indeed the aim might be to make them feel like kids again, which is much easier said than done. Even if Fisher Price did have a software division, they'd never develop a game like Fable, for the obvious reason that the target market is a much older audience. Pajama Sam - yes. Fable - no.

Thanks for posting. We'll all take note of how cool and grown up you are.

I regret purchasing Fable 3. I enjoyed Fable 2 a lot, but 3 was a major letdown for me. Tweaked graphics aren't going to make up for what was a mediocre to bad experience in the end.

Please read up on the game before you decide to purchase it. Listen to some podcasts about the game as well. It was pretty unanimous.

Last edited:
I regret purchasing Fable 3. I enjoyed Fable 2 a lot, but 3 was a major letdown for me. Tweaked graphics aren't going to make up for what was a mediocre to bad experience in the end.

Please read up on the game before you decide to purchase it. Listen to some podcasts about the game as well. It was pretty unanimous.

I remember getting part 1 on the PC for somewhere around the $25 mark or so and I thought it was a fairly decent game. I liked it well enough. Pleasant.

Never played part 2.

How does part 3 compare to part 1?

Tweaked graphics aren't going to make up for what was a mediocre to bad experience in the end.

The gameplay itself has been altered.

The person in charge even said they went beyond merely adjusting difficulty sliders. It sounds promising. I need to play it myself, of course, but I'm hoping for an experience similar to the first title.

I remember getting part 1 on the PC for somewhere around the $25 mark or so and I thought it was a fairly decent game. I liked it well enough. Pleasant.

Never played part 2.

How does part 3 compare to part 1?

Neither 2 or 3 are as good as the original. I did have fun with them both though. They really aren't RPGs though.

I never played part 1 :(

Ok. :)

Derangel said:
Neither 2 or 3 are as good as the original. I did have fun with them both though. They really aren't RPGs though.

Going by that I guess 3 is something maybe I'll pick up cheaply on sale some day. I'm guessing you don't think it's worth the $50 asking price?

Ok. :)

Going by that I guess 3 is something maybe I'll pick up cheaply on sale some day. I'm guessing you don't think it's worth the $50 asking price?

I dunno. Really depends on how the PC version turns out and what the DLC situation is going to be, no one seems to be asking about that.

I dunno. Really depends on how the PC version turns out and what the DLC situation is going to be, no one seems to be asking about that.

I was curious about it myself. I didn't really keep up with Fable 3 news since I felt so shafted by Fable 2... but didn't they take the stance of 'episodic' DLC content ($$)?

LOL!

Alright then, the day I buy Fable 3 I'll try to remember to visit Toys R Us and buy myself some toys that are aimed at 3-year-old children, because that's precisely the market that Fisher Price toys are aimed at.

How amazingly condescending.

I don't need somebody telling me that I buy titles that are aimed at 3-year-old kids. That is a complete troll post. There's no way that Fable 3 is aimed at the same market that Fisher Price toys are aimed at - no way.

A completely stupid and ignorant post that's designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to try and demean those gamers who have open minds about gaming, and are at least willing to try something different. This is exactly the same bullshit I saw when The Sims was initially released. Manly men would make jokes about the series, because of course it was made for girls.

Yeah, whatever.

Why do I get the feeling that you didn't even play all three of them?

But how cool of you to dismiss the Fable series like that. You're missing the point of the series entirely. It's MEANT to be an 'RPG-lite'. At no point was Lionhead ever attempting to create an RPG similar to The Witcher 2 - that's just not what Fable is about.

This RPG is meant to be whimsical. It's a change of pace. The production values are massive, and the PC screenshots look fantastic. The guy in charge of the PC version seems pretty determined to have tweaked the gameplay to appeal more to PC gamers - it still won't be Oblivion, but then it was never meant to be Oblivion.

I found the original Fable on the PC (not on the console) to be an utterly charming experience - I'm super glad that this is going to be on the PC (I would have bet money that it wasn't going to happen), and am really glad to hear that the gameplay has been adjusted. If this title provides a similar experience to the first title on the PC then it will be a fine title to have in my library.

Your analogy, by the way, sucks. Fisher Price makes toys for children. The implication in your statement is that this game is just for kids. It's not. All I'm getting out of your post is that you don't understand what this series is about. A kid's game, and something that actually might be expected from Fisher Price, would be more along the lines of a Humongous title, such as Freddi Fish or Pajama Sam.

The Fable series is targeted much more towards adults - although indeed the aim might be to make them feel like kids again, which is much easier said than done. Even if Fisher Price did have a software division, they'd never develop a game like Fable, for the obvious reason that the target market is a much older audience. Pajama Sam - yes. Fable - no.

Thanks for posting. We'll all take note of how cool and grown up you are.

Wow, another crybaby tantrum thrown by WabeWalker.

This post just confirms the market Fable is aimed at.

Wow, another crybaby tantrum thrown by WabeWalker.

This post just confirms the market Fable is aimed at.

It wasn't a crybaby post, Plague. I just think that you went too far. Fisher Price makes baby toys, and the Fable series can easily be played by adults who are in the mood for something different. Derangel just wrote that he liked the first title for what it was. Is Derangel a baby? I don't think he is - and if he were to review Fable 3 I have my doubts that he would approach the title as something that might be sold by Fisher Price. That's just so wrong, and so condescending.

A much better example of software that might have been distributed by Fisher Price would be this:

http://www.educational-software-directory.net/children/games

I wrote two months ago, when the release date was announced, that inevitably somebody at this forum was going to make fun of people for posting about Fable 3. How funny that you turned out to be the one.

I was really into Fable 2. Very good single player campaign experience. Got Fable 3 and it is easily as good but didn't hold me late in the game.

It wasn't a crybaby post, Plague. I just think that you went too far. Fisher Price makes baby toys, and the Fable series can easily be played by adults who are in the mood for something different. Derangel just wrote that he liked the first title for what it was. Is Derangel a baby? I don't think he is - and if he were to review Fable 3 I have my doubts that he would approach the title as something that might be sold by Fisher Price. That's just so wrong, and so condescending.

A much better example of software that might have been distributed by Fisher Price would be this:

http://www.educational-software-directory.net/children/games

I wrote two months ago, when the release date was announced, that inevitably somebody at this forum was going to make fun of people for posting about Fable 3. How funny that you turned out to be the one.

So why are at least half the people in this thread in agreement with me if it's such a fallacy? Maybe I should have said "everyone that doesn't like Fable obviously didn't pay for it" and that would have worked for you.

How about this; Fable is dumbed down console RPG gaming for people new to RPGs. How does that work for you? Or do you want to sook about that, too?

Really I don't care/mind if people here like Fable, but what I do mind is people inflating it into some brilliant RPG when nearly every other major RPG release in recent memory is superior. Fable is either mediocre or adequate - it never rises to anything above "eh it's ok".

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a reply to this post of mine.

So why are at least half the people in this thread in agreement with me if it's such a fallacy?[/URL]

Because they didn't think before they wrote, that's why. Freddie Fish, by Ron Gilbert's Humongous Entertainment, would be appropriate software for a company that makes toys for babies and very young children.

That IS NOT the Fable market. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

I swear Wabe's posts crack me up, it's like he's deliberately trying to be ironic. I think he thrives on the attention, so it's really best to just ignore him for as long as you can. When he doesn't get the right type of response he'll continue to post increasingly drastic / ridiculous / comical / etc. comments until somebody bites.

I'll admit it does make the Gaming boards more entertaining from time to time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back