Confirmed: Q9450 not fully compatible with ASUS P5K and others

Okay so after two pages of arguing, are there any confirmed answers?

I was about to sell my E8400 to a friend and get a Q9450. But if its going to give me problems, I don't really *need* a quad core.

Okay so after two pages of arguing, are there any confirmed answers?

I was about to sell my E8400 to a friend and get a Q9450. But if its going to give me problems, I don't really *need* a quad core.

Well, no one was arguing. We were just speculating and trying to find answers. :p

In my thread in Xtremeforums, a guy posted his P5K Deluxe working fine. Turns out his board is an older revision of mine. He has a 1.00G, and I have a 1.01G, which means as long as you have the latest BIOS, the P5K Deluxe will support the Q9450 C1 stepping with no problem.

ASUS's idea of compatibility must be that the PC boots.

My P5W DH Deluxe has to be underclocked to 2Ghz in order to run reliably. I wrote Tech Support asking for a 1.3V manual vCORE setting so Auto won't dip down to nearly 1V on me, but I can't believe I'd be the first to do so yet no newer BIOS so far.

And what's with the high temps reported by Core Temp and others: some value lost in translation or actual 55C at idle?...

The temp reading is an error that exist on many boards with the Q9450,I know Abit came out with a bios update that fixes it on their IP35 boards.

Man this is crap if they write it on the box that it supports 45nm then it should support all versions of the chip and if it doesnt then they should replace the board or do a step-up like EVGA does. By the way EVGA is a great company I just stepped up to a GX2 and had the video card at my house in less than 1week.

What happen to ASUS they used to be a excellent customer support company. I have had dealings with them in the past.

I had one hell of a time with my 9450 on the P5K Premium WIFI but evetually got things sorted out with the 0612 bios. Runs like a charm now.

Hmm, My P5K Deluxe Wifi + Q9450 runs fine. Bios didn't recognise the CPU in name upon first start-up but still entered the OS no issues. I have since flashed the mobo, still running great.

When I first obtained the wifi I couldn't get it to boot with the 9450 and had to swap a 6600 into the board which ran fine for a couple of weeks under load so I knew that the board was fine. Flashed the bios to the 0612 before trying the 950 again, swapped in the 9450 and it ran fine but my temp readings were pretty unusual and read somewhere that there was no real accurate way of reading the temps on that series of chips so decided to try flashing back to the 0504. The 9450 ran but showed "unknown CPU, flash bios to unleash full potential, press F1 to resume". Seemed to run fine initially but kept BSODing with the WMIxWMD 9C error so I flashed back to the 0612 only this time my temp readings were fine. Perhaps my initial bios flash to the 0612 went screwy but its been hauling a$$ just great since then at 3.2ghz.

It may work, but it just wasn't "designed" for the Q9450, that's all.

X38 and newer, 790i, etc, were designed with quad core in mind.

Good thing i choose GA-P35-DS3P Gigabyte Motherboard last year. I was going to go with Asus. But something made me buy a Gigabyte board. I dont have issues with Q9450 running at 3.6GHZ 450x 8. Bye

Just wanted to make sure the issue with the P5K Premium & Q9450 has been resolved with a bios update.

My P5K should arrive via UPS today and have yet to order a CPU...just wanted to make a well informed purchase.

Also, can someone please post their tweeked-out bios settings for the Q9450?

THX!

JWS

Just wanted to make sure the issue with the P5K Premium & Q9450 has been resolved with a bios update.

My P5K should arrive via UPS today and have yet to order a CPU...just wanted to make a well informed purchase.

Also, can someone please post their tweeked-out bios settings for the Q9450?

THX!

JWS

If it requires a bios update, then you may OR may not be able to boot for the first time with a q9450 to do the bios update, provided they are shipping the older bios still.

Back