Confused about Firefox installation

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Here is something I can never really get a straight answer on. I guess it depends on who you ask and what distro they run so here goes... ;)

I deleted the default built in FC2 Mozilla browser and downloaded Firefox file called

firefox-0.9.3-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz

The file is downloaded to a location that is default to me called /home/carlos

Now my question is ... how to properly install the browser? If I extract this firefox-0.9.3-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz file to the same location /home/carlos, I see a new folder called firefox_installer ... now if I run that installer from the default location, I now have the actual browser installed to my /home/carlos directory and I don't want any system settings there. Can someone help me on how I can install this somewhere out of sight and what is a appropriate place for this.

The very best way? On FC2, this is what I use.

This will help you with things in the future to...go to http://atrpms.net/dist/fc2/atrpms-kickstart/ and download the top file. Using rpm -Uvh <filename> to install it. Then do an apt-get update followed by an apt-get install firefox. It will install it properly with all apropriate links and shortcuts. You can use apt for downloading/installing so many things...it's just kicks ass!

However, if you just do a ./firefox-installer from the untar'd directory, it will install it in the proper place...but, you have to go and find it in your /usr/bin dir. because it doesn't add a link/shortcut for you...it's the Firefox shell script (I believe it's firefox.sh) that you want.

Thanks - I did do that but always can't find it when flash asks me where the hell Firefox is :confused:

For those not using Fedora, I run it using sudo and make sure I do a custom install and point it to /usr/local/firefox. Afterwords I make sure there is a link for /usr/local/firefox/firefox in /usr/local/bin.

diablo111 said:
The very best way? On FC2, this is what I use.

This will help you with things in the future to...go to http://atrpms.net/dist/fc2/atrpms-kickstart/ and download the top file. Using rpm -Uvh <filename> to install it. Then do an apt-get update followed by an apt-get install firefox. It will install it properly with all apropriate links and shortcuts. You can use apt for downloading/installing so many things...it's just kicks ass!

However, if you just do a ./firefox-installer from the untar'd directory, it will install it in the proper place...but, you have to go and find it in your /usr/bin dir. because it doesn't add a link/shortcut for you...it's the Firefox shell script (I believe it's firefox.sh) that you want.

Code:
[root@localhost carlos]# apt-get install firefox
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package firefox

I did do the latest update and searched

Code:
[root@localhost carlos]# apt-cache search firefox

It finds nothing

Back