Confused about network switch

UT-Jackal

Limp Gawd
So i have the cheapie netgear:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122029

I just wanted a cheap gigabit switch to transfer my blu-rays from one computer to my HTPC. For some reason two of the four devices connected to it aren't getting internet though. The D-Link Wireless router, and my gaming rig both get internet, where as the HTPC and my older computer don't. I've swapped ports around but i still get the same results. My boss says thats the difference between switches and routers, switches don't deal with the fact that you only have one physical IP, and therefor all of the computers don't get internet.

Is this the case?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to configure NAT/DHCP.

How is everything hooked up? Should be similar to this:

INTERNETS>Cable/DSL Modem> D-Link WiFi router>NetGear Switch> all your computers and stuff

First off, that switch you linked to is NOT a gigabit switch. Thats not the problem your having, but even when you do get it working, your not going to be getting gigabit speeds.

Sorry i linked the wrong one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122140

Yeah i don't have it hooked up like that, but i could.

Right now it is:
Internet -> Cable modem -> switch -> DLink wifi + 3 computers... then the d-link is plugged into a slingbox thing for the xbox.

I could do it the way you said Captain, just thought even though the bottleneck is the internet, i would plug the "faster" device in first (netgear), then the slower (dlink).

The "slower" device, is capable of 100Mbp/s, so unless you have some uber-expensive massive pipe from the internet, your net connection isnt coming anywhere near that. The only proper way to hook these devices up just like Colon said: Modem > Router > Switch.

why do you have it before the router?

switch goes after router.

Intraweb > Router > Switch > Devices

the problem is that your switch doesn't do NAT and you probably only get one IP from your ISP. In order to get those other computers on the internets tubes you will have to have them sit behind your router. :D

Criccio - i know that my internet doesn't output at that speed, but i just like to think it makes it faster. ;)

All of this makes sense guys, thanks for the help. I'll re-wire it once i'm home.

Right now it is:
Internet -> Cable modem -> switch -> DLink wifi + 3 computers... then the d-link is plugged into a slingbox thing for the xbox.

switch and dlink are backwards there

the Dlink router is your DHCP server and the switch will spread from that.

if you are looking for faster speeds coming through the router as well, you'll need to snag a router with gigabit speeds.

if you are looking for faster speeds coming through the router as well, you'll need to snag a router with gigabit speeds.

You would likely only see a benefit from that with a faster internet connection, though, so don't worry getting a gigabit router.

You would likely only see a benefit from that with a faster internet connection, though, so don't worry getting a gigabit router.

I think he's more concerned with LAN gigabit speeds.

I'm not to familiar with gigabit routers or switches, but theoretically, if you want to experience faster LAN speeds, not only does your Router/ Swithc have to be gigabit compatible, so do your NICs!

(i'm pretty sure that is painfuly obvious to some... but you never know....)

I think he's more concerned with LAN gigabit speeds.

I'm not to familiar with gigabit routers or switches, but theoretically, if you want to experience faster LAN speeds, not only does your Router/ Swithc have to be gigabit compatible, so do your NICs!

(i'm pretty sure that is painfuly obvious to some... but you never know....)

Not just a gigabit switch, one that supports jumbo frames as well.

Back