Connect 27" Mid 2011 Imac to 50" Panasonic Plasma and install Windows 7

Hey guys, I have a 27" mid 2011 iMac with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB running Lion. I have 2 internal hard drives, a 250GB drive and a 2TB Storage drive. I only want to use Windows 7 on the iMac. I don't have Windows 7 installed on it. I would like to install Windows 7 so I could download to the 2TB Hard drive. How would I do this? I also want to connect my 27" iMac to my 50" Panasonic Plasma TV. The TV has HDMI inputs. Can I do this? if so what do I need to accomplish this? I would like to view everything that I do on the Windows 7 side on my Panasonic TV.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the help! After I install Windows 7 through bootcamp will I be able to download to my 2TB internal hard drive from the Windows 7 side after I format the 2tb drive NTFS? Anything else that I need to do?

Thanks again.

I appreciate the help! After I install Windows 7 through bootcamp will I be able to download to my 2TB internal hard drive from the Windows 7 side after I format the 2tb drive NTFS? Anything else that I need to do?

Thanks again.

Nope, that's it. There is the slight niggle of having to download drivers (for everything, not your HD in particular), but Bootcamp should prompt you to do that anyway (hooray for automation).

Thanks. Instead of formatting the 2tb drive as NTFS can I format the drive as exFAT? If I do that would I be able to download to the 2tb drive on both the Lion and Windows sides?

Any limitation to exFAT?

Thanks. Instead of formatting the 2tb drive as NTFS can I format the drive as exFAT? If I do that would I be able to download to the 2tb drive on both the Lion and Windows sides?

Any limitation to exFAT?

You can format the drive to whatever you want. I can't really answer your exFAT question however. I'm sure a quick Google search could answer that.

Thanks guys. I updated to Mountain Lion and then installed Windows 7 through bootcamp. I installed all Windows 7 updates. I can view the 2tb drive in My Computer but I can't format it. I get a message saying Windows was unable to complete the format. It said the drive is in use. The drive is currently formatted as HFS.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys. I updated to Mountain Lion and then installed Windows 7 through bootcamp. I installed all Windows 7 updates. I can view the 2tb drive in My Computer but I can't format it. I get a message saying Windows was unable to complete the format. It said the drive is in use. The drive is currently formatted as HFS.

Any help is appreciated.

You may have the unfortunate problem of the boot sector being on the 2TB HD as opposed to the flash drive. I know the hard way to fix this problem, but I don't know if there is an easier fix.

The hard way is to remove the 2TB HD. Reformat the SSD (as no boot sector would force you to do this). Reinstall OSX on the SSD. Then finally reinstall the 2TB HD.

Edit: The less clean option is to go into OSX and partition as much space as you possibly can to NTFS or exFAT.

Last edited:
In Computer Management for the 2tb drive there's a box on the left that says "200 MB Healthy (EFI System Partion). The box on the right says 1862.70 GB HFS. I was trying to format the 2tb drive to ntfs in windows. Do I need to format the 2tb drive to ntfs on the apple side?

update: I think I formatted the drive. I deleted the partition but it said that the drive was in use. It asked me if I would like to force close the drive. It said that errors could occur if you force close the drive. I force closed the drive and I was able to format the 2tb drive as ntfs.

Back