Connect pc to tv

:confused: I know that it has probably been asked a million times but I am still confused. (ie the name) Anyway pc has s video and tv has coax how do I get the pc to show on the tv with audio. What cable do I use? Any ideas.

Does your TV only have a coax connector?

What you need on your TV or VCR is a yellow RCA input, or S-Video input.

You can go to radioshack or someplace and buy an S-Video to RCA adapter. Then just take a regular RCA cable and connect it from the adapter to the yellow RCA input on your TV or VCR.

WHat if you have s-video out on your computer and s-video in on the tv. Cna you just hook them up and play or is there more to it ?

Don't go to Radioshack for the adapter... it is way over priced. I bought mine on E-Bay and saved $15.00.

Well the picture showed up on the tv, but it wasnt very clear at all. Like the text was hard to read. And playing far cry was like playing a ps2 game in terms of looks. The resolution was set at 1024x768. Any advice?

Is 1024 the res of you're computer, or is it the resolution on your TV? Unless you have a really kick ass TV, its almost pointless to try and play games on one. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of older TVs use 640X480 resolution.

The s-video signal is not 'pure' like analog RGB or DVI monitor cables.
It is modulated into a luminance and chrominance signal. This means that you lose some of the sharpness, and get some 'fuzz' on certain colours next to eachother.
Other than that, as mentioned before, TVs are far lower resolution than monitors (and often TVs are interlaced too, so the image is flickery)... If you send a 1024x768 signal to TV, it will be resampled to the TV's actual resolution, which is somewhere around 640x480, so you get loss of detail.

In short, you will never get a perfect image on a TV.
In fact, a PS2 or XBox will often look better, because they at least use the analog RGB signal through a scart connector or such, which means you at least don't have the 'fuzzy' modulated signal of s-video.

But s-video can look good enough for games and video playback... I would just suggest using a resolution of 800x600 or 640x480, so you get more readable text and such on the TV.

I have a question related to that, I've got all the hardware hooked up (ie: pc to tv) but I can't get the picture to show up on the tv. I'm using a 9800 Pro, so using the ATI drivers how do you do it? Do you just turn on dual screen or what?

omgwtfnoway said:
Is 1024 the res of you're computer, or is it the resolution on your TV? Unless you have a really kick ass TV, its almost pointless to try and play games on one. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of older TVs use 640X480 resolution.

All NTSC TV's except HDTV and EDTV are 720x486.

UnseenClass said:
I have a question related to that, I've got all the hardware hooked up (ie: pc to tv) but I can't get the picture to show up on the tv. I'm using a 9800 Pro, so using the ATI drivers how do you do it? Do you just turn on dual screen or what?

i cant speak for your card specifically, but if you right-click on desktop and select properties. then select the 'Settings" tab. Then you might have an option of source listed and a pic of two monitors. If not, click "advanced" and scroll through the tabs until you see what looks like a monitor or an option to "CLONE". this will let you see it on your monitor and TV. Sorry if its general advice, but I dont have your card. Many of the cards have similar ways to activate the second screen though so have fun thumbing unless someone here has a 9800 and can be more specific.

paymepunk said:
i cant speak for your card specifically, but if you right-click on desktop and select properties. then select the 'Settings" tab. Then you might have an option of source listed and a pic of two monitors. If not, click "advanced" and scroll through the tabs until you see what looks like a monitor or an option to "CLONE". this will let you see it on your monitor and TV. Sorry if its general advice, but I dont have your card. Many of the cards have similar ways to activate the second screen though so have fun thumbing unless someone here has a 9800 and can be more specific.

Yeah I tried that, but when i click apply, it cancels it because apparently it doesn't detect it or something. Someone told me to reload the drivers with the tv connected. I might try that.

Back