Connecting all fans to one molex connecter

javisaman

Limp Gawd
I have three Yate-Loons attatched to my MCR320. Right now all the cables connected, tied together and sleeved into some 3/8" wrap. It looks pretty clunky. I was just wondering if there is a way to have all three fans connected to one molex connector (as in all the wires from each are connected to one plug) and a 3-pin connector.

Thanks

I've got 3 40mm fans I'm doing that with. I'll tell you when I get it done, and my mobo/ram back in.

**also**

The only thing I think might be a problem is that they might draw less than the 5 or 7v required to run them at full speed.

I'm using this to put all the fans & leds on my case side into a pair of molexs so there's only two cables to remove when I want to take the side off. Plus it gives me the choice between 7v and 12v headers (using 7v for the fans, 12v for the LED's)

Alternatively there's this, if you only want multiple ports and don't want to reduce the current at all

As long as you run them in parallel (all the red/black/yellow wires going to the same terminal) you'll get 12v.

The best way to do it, if you're even remotely comfortable with soldering, is to take a molex connector adaptor such as this one , snip the wires from the 3 pin connector, cut off the connectors completely from 2 of the YLs (I'm assuming they have a 3rd RPM wire which you want to use), and the red and black from the third (leaving the yellow RPM wire attached to the 3pin plug to connect to your motherboard header - google how to remove the extra unused pins and remove those from the connector). Strip back all your red and black wires and solder together each colour set. Cover with heatshrink if you have some, or electrical tape.

I wouldn't recommend running 3 fans from one 3 pin motherboard header as the current draw would probably be more than the header is spec'd for. Running the fans in parallel results in the voltage staying at 12v, but the current triples. Running them in series drops the voltage (a lot!) but keeps the current draw much the same - I definately recommend to use parallel.

Hope that helps.

Back