Connecting an Apple LCD to PC

SuX0rz

[H]ard|Gawd
I love the look of the Apple LCDs and I was wondering if it is possible to connect one to a pc. I know that the standard cables are proprietary but are there any conversion cables for a pc?

I have the 23" cinema connected to my PC. I use Apple's proprietary ADC=>DVI adaptor, it runs about $100. ADC is just like DVI except that the LCD gets power from the cable as well.

Go here and read through this thread, I have some pics in there.

There are some 3rd party adapters as well and I think they run around 60-70.

Thanks a lot, just in your opinion is it worth the trouble to get an Apple LCD or should I just look at a more pc friendly option?

Also I checked and the Apple site has the connector for $40 bucks

Fo' shizzle, 60 bux less?! Damn.

There's nothing wrong with the connector and no loss of information so it's gonna display just as well as a PC's.

It's only a cable with a box in the middle, plug it in and there you go. The only problem I have is turning it off. When I am done with it I turn the "monitor sleep mode" timer to 1 minute under the display properties. After 1 minute goes by the video card cuts the signal and the display automatically shuts off. Takes only 10 seconds but I'd rather have a button or something that works but hey, that's the price I paid for a damn nice display.

Thanks a lot for you input, I think I'm going to go ahead and go for the Apple display. I got to save up my cash but it will be the next big buy for my system.

I had picked mine up from CompUSA and I pucrhased their apple care warranty thing where as for 2 years after the purchase date I could get a new screen at no cost. I dunno about the fine print but for $100 it didn't seem to bad of an idea for me.

I will be going back there to get further clarifications but I have gotten a comple scratches on my anti glare coating during a move and perhaps I could use that warranty thing to get it replaced *shrug* something you may want to look into, that's all.

I do not think is an Apple Care tho. That is a replacement plan for Compusa. IMO it is way better than Apple Care. From customers, they told me that Apple has some shitty service.

You know what, I think you are right on it being CompUSA's program.

One last thing, this display does not output anything less than 800x600 so you won't see your BIOS screen or Windows loading. I keep a old cheap monitor in the closet so that if I get the urge to do some tweeking or something I plug it in make my adjustments and then reconnect the ginormis display.

hey Disco have you tried out the wicked new Ut2004 demo, on that awesome Display yet ? I would love to see a screenshot of the "Onslaught" game running :)

Haha, yes I have! I think I have invested way too much time in it lol. I'll get you a pic soon.

Hey, update to our previous conversation, I hadn't tried this up until now, at 1600x1200 and above the picture stops scaling and puts out just that, so it doesn't fill up the screen all the way. But then it's like 20".

Originally posted by Disco_Stu_04
Haha, yes I have! I think I have invested way too much time in it lol. I'll get you a pic soon.

Hey, update to our previous conversation, I hadn't tried this up until now, at 1600x1200 and above the picture stops scaling and puts out just that, so it doesn't fill up the screen all the way. But then it's like 20".

so if a game does support 1920x1200, the monitor wont show the whole game on the whole screen ?
Please post a picture of a game at 1600x1200, and then at 1920x1200 if you would be so kind. Or you can pm/e-mail me

I just cleared my pm box, or you can e-mail at
[email protected]

I would like to please see, two screen shots of UT2004, one at 1600x1200, and the other at 1920x1200. Is the game even playable for you at 1920, thats a pretty steap res to run a shooter, what kind of [H]ardware you running ?

thanks

You got mail...
game runs at about 25 FPS @1920x1280

my specs-
Intel 3.06 GHz
512 MB RAM
9800 Pro AIW

Prometia Phase Change cool at -40 deg C.

If you're getting it for gaming I'd suggest a montor with a faster pixel response rate.

Shit, if you are that hardcore get a CRT, all LCDs ghost. ;)

There will always be something better. The pixel refresh rate is way more than adequate with this thing.

You got mail...
game runs at about 25 FPS @1920x1280

my specs-
Intel 3.06 GHz
512 MB RAM
9800 Pro AIW

Prometia Phase Change cool at -40 deg C.

is that with all game options maxxed ? and how about that 9800-Pro is AA + Af enabled ?

Erm lezzie here...in the game everything was maxed...

AA...I have the slider set at "Balanced" whatever that works out to be.

Cat ver 4.1

Shit, if you are that hardcore get a CRT, all LCDs ghost. ;)

There will always be something better. The pixel refresh rate is way more than adequate with this thing.

Generally I've found the ghosting on the Apples to be worse that most 25ms panels out there. I'd suggest getting a chance to try one out before you jump on buying this model. I forget what the panels in the Apple displays are rated as, at least 25 but like I said they seem a whole lot slower than that.

Of course, a CRT would be better, they're better for a lot of things still. But my migraines weren't improving so now I use both, and stare at the LCD most of the time.

I do plan doing some gaming and right now I have a 19" NEC FE950 CRT. The biggest reaon I'm looking for an LCD is because I do a lot of lanning and would like a lighter load. I like the apples becuase I think that they look great both on screen and form factor. Is ghosting really going to be that big of an issue?

Originally posted by SuX0rz
Is ghosting really going to be that big of an issue?

That depends on your taste, which is why I recommend trying one out. In just about every category there are better panels than what Apple has, they're due for an update in their model line.

For me, the guy who games on weekends and writes code all week, this thing satisfies me to no end.

Can I tell you that you will be just as satisfied? No, I am not you.

I can take a good guess and say that odds are you will have no problems with it because even to me, a nothing-but-first-person-shooter-fella, that this thing rocks...for me. I was irritated on the Samsung in Best Buy because of its ghosting, not on this, and both of these are rated at 25ms.

I honestly, in any game, cannot see any ghosting. It doesn't stand out. I can see ghosting when I have a dark background on a webpage and run the mouse across it at a medium pace and pay careful attention to it.

BOTTOM LINE!!!
You will have to see for yourself I guess. I took a gamble and won. I asked the lady at CompUSA, because I was very _concerned_ that I wouldn't like it for gaming and she said that within 14 days or something I could return it for a full refund. That's all I needed, I took it home, set it up, and whola, I was satisfied.

Suxorz- you said you wanted something to carry to a Lan party, this thing weighs in at 25 lbs. It's pretty heavy, but its very space efficient for its size. You gotta weigh the pros and cons :D pun intended.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to give it a shot and see if I like it when I get the cash.

Back